Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Baby Names? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/baby-names-35125.html)

emmaleigh 29-11-2007 23:42

Baby Names?

my friend needs help with a baby name for her unborn child!

she dosent know what the sex is of the child yet

but would like any suggestions please

pleases help us thanks x

:not_ripe::Banane25::Banane47:

emamum 30-11-2007 00:41

Re: Baby Names?

i like ethan or nathan for a boy alicia or summer for a girl depends on what kind of name you want

emmaleigh 30-11-2007 01:13

thanks emma love ethan! alredi got a friend with the name alicia

gem5665 30-11-2007 01:14

Like the old names James, Luke Robert, for a boy . Nikki for a girl it is a little diffrent but I like it. or stick to the old names as times goes by that cool sounding name may not sound so great when the kid is older and they are stuck with it

emmaleigh 30-11-2007 01:20

i love the name romie-leigh for a girl and jacob for a boy but she dosent like them thnxfor comment gemma im into old names too x

Speedy 30-11-2007 01:30

Go for a name that has some meaning to it, ie. Name of grandparent or something similar. Although i must admit my lad is called harvey purely for the reason we liked the name.

steeljack 30-11-2007 03:12

you may want to check out this link
'Chav' names feared by teachers | the Daily Mail
seems a teachers group did a survey of the "best' chav names :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

or try this site ChavScum :D :D

looking forward to comments :D :D

Yolanda25 30-11-2007 08:26

Hahahaha it said that if i was to have a boy it will be called jay keanu smith, i quite like it you know lol

Yolanda25 30-11-2007 08:27

and my girl roxxane whitney smith , not quite sure about that one

emamum 30-11-2007 08:30

roxxane... could be shortened to roxy, i like that one. ppl are starting to use boys names for girls now, sydney is a girls name too..

emamum 30-11-2007 08:33

I got Jordan Kai for a boy and Jodie Saphire for a girl..... hmmm... i think not!
I like names that are easy to say.. my lads name wasnt common when he was born, it was the name i chose for my first child when i was young and his second name is my dads name..

cashman 30-11-2007 08:55

dont call it Mohamed you will be in a world of grief.:rolleyes:

Neil 30-11-2007 09:04

How about Jesus or maybe Mohammed? ;)

West Ender 30-11-2007 14:42

Apparently Mohammed is now the 2nd most popular boy's name in the country.

BERNADETTE 30-11-2007 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 499110)
Apparently Mohammed is now the 2nd most popular boy's name in the country.

What is the first?

West Ender 30-11-2007 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 499130)
What is the first?

I think it's Jack.

grego 30-11-2007 20:01

Thought the chav names were funny, didn't think the teacher chav names were all that chavvy, my two weren't on the list, Ellie and Robert.

Yolanda25 30-11-2007 20:12

my son is called carl after his dad, coudnt be bothered complicating my life and i wanted him to have his dads name 1st and my brothers name second

emamum 30-11-2007 20:12

my sons name is on the chav teachers list!!!!!!!!!! i am not impressed,

yerself 30-11-2007 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23
my sons name is on the chav teachers list!!!!!!!!!! i am not impressed,

Shouldn't have (or of, as they say on Accyweb ) called him a stupid chav name. That'll teach you. I'm with the teachers.

Lilly 30-11-2007 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 499189)
Shouldn't have (or of, as they say on Accyweb ) called him a stupid chav name. That'll teach you. I'm with the teachers.

I certainly think there is some truth in what the teachers said.

emamum 30-11-2007 20:23

hmph.... i havent heard of this and i really do think it is wrong to judge children based on your own opinion of their name (professionally and as a mother)... every child is unique and a name is just a name and means nothing!

blazey 30-11-2007 20:33

Chavs call their kids 'normal' names as well, so its unfair to label a name chavvy just because a child in their class with that particular name acts like one.

Matt, Ste, James, Jordan..... all normal common names yet I think everybody probably had a difficult, disruptive, annoying brat in their class at school who would have been labelled a chav if they where at school today rather than 20yrs or so ago.

Girls names tend to be labelled chavvy rather than boys I think, chardonnay and all that marlarky, but people with odd, crap sounding names can end up being completely normal and respectful too! Lets not stigmatise them and make it inevitable that they end up being chavs. If we dont label them they will have more of a chance of ending up nice and un-chavved.

Lol.

emamum 30-11-2007 20:34

its called a self fulfilling prophecy... you label them as something that they are not and they end up turning into that because of the label given

BERNADETTE 30-11-2007 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 499192)
hmph.... i havent heard of this and i really do think it is wrong to judge children based on your own opinion of their name (professionally and as a mother)... every child is unique and a name is just a name and means nothing!

I'm with you on this Em, you can't judge a child by their name. Maybe the reason the teachers feel they are right is their dislike of a child simply because of their name is communicated to the children. Kids are not stupid they pick up on bad feeling very quickly. There was one name on the list that struck a chord as I know a child with that name:eek:

Lilly 30-11-2007 20:41

I think the way the teachers' comments were meant to be interpreted was not that all Courtneys are chavs but that chavs/dobbers do tend to favour certain names. There will always be exceptions but very often they do.

If you meet someone with a made up name e.g Honey-Bee or Tyoni then they are likely to be (not certain to be) chavs.:D

The same goes for traditional names spelt differently e.g Kelsi, Sherri, Clowie. Hyphenated names such as Bobbi-Jo also send out a similar message. Sad but true.

Lilly 30-11-2007 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 499194)
its called a self fulfilling prophecy... you label them as something that they are not and they end up turning into that because of the label given

Obviously, as teaching staff, if you did harbour these opinions you would not share them with the child so they would not be labelled.:)

emamum 30-11-2007 20:43

my name is hyphonated... it was something that parents did 20 odd years ago... i know three other ppl with the exact same name as me.. i chose my sons name before it was popular and i chose it because it i liked it and i still do....

emamum 30-11-2007 20:44

as teaching staff you shouldnt have these stereo typical views any way....

Lilly 30-11-2007 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum23 (Post 499202)
as teaching staff you shouldnt have these stereo typical views any way....

I assume that these opinions are formed from experience.

emamum 30-11-2007 20:48

i am a teaching assistant/nursery nurse....

BERNADETTE 30-11-2007 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 499200)
Obviously, as teaching staff, if you did harbour these opinions you would not share them with the child so they would not be labelled.:)

But the kids aren't stupid they would pick up on it:(

blazey 30-11-2007 20:53

Aren't names ALL made up at some point in time? You might end up with a queen or PM honey-bee in the future.

Names don't exactly mean much. How many of you think very little of TONY Blair, MARGARET Thatcher, GEORGE Bush.
In fact I imagine a Honey-Bee would be able to relate well to the working class population in the case and do alot for the country ;)

mrskitty 01-12-2007 11:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 499140)
I think it's Jack.

It most certainly is the most popular boys name,and has been for 7 years.
My lad is called Jack Charles, but i have not met any other 0-7 year olds called Jack so far....although will be interesting when he starts nursery/school.

West Ender 01-12-2007 14:03

I really like the name Jack but isn't it funny that, up to about 30 years ago, all Jacks were really called John? My grandfather and an uncle were both Jack but christened John and so was every other Jack I knew. It never made sense to me.

lancscat 01-12-2007 20:57

i like sian for a girl or millie mae,for a boy lucas or kian

steeljack 01-12-2007 21:05

re. streotyping and names , two little girls ,one named Candi and one named Alexandra.....which one do you think is more likely to end-up as a pole/lap dancer and which one goes to med-school :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

emamum 01-12-2007 21:08

which ever one studies the hardest and has the capacity to be a doctor

Lilly 01-12-2007 21:15

Candi = Lapdancer.;)

West Ender 01-12-2007 21:31

I've got 3 children (grown up) and 2 grandchildren Do their names fit what they do?

Joanne - accountant
Alan ---- lorry driver/semi-pro musician/artist
Nicola -- accounts clerk/secretary

Peter -- university student (graphic design)
Laura -- at school

A while ago I saw a programme on TV where Lisa Tarbuck was talking about names. She said, sneering, that there was no way certain names would ever come back into fashion - like Alan, Colin and Ray. Hell, I thought, there goes my son, my husband and my eldest brother. :D

Lilly 01-12-2007 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 499551)
I've got 3 children (grown up) and 2 grandchildren Do their names fit what they do?

Joanne - accountant
Alan ---- lorry driver/semi-pro musician/artist
Nicola -- accounts clerk/secretary

Peter -- university student (graphic design)
Laura -- at school

Yes. Good choices there.:)

AccyLass 01-12-2007 21:45

Love Kian for a boy!

My kids are Saffron Jayde, Rhys Callum

steeljack 01-12-2007 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 499553)
Yes. Good choices there.:)

agree 100%