Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Phantom bellringer - anyone else got one? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/phantom-bellringer-anyone-else-got-one-37059.html)

MargaretR 17-02-2008 11:01

Phantom bellringer - anyone else got one?

I have two radio doorbells. I have two front doors - one is on the door access to the stairwell and the other is on my front door proper.

They don't have the same chime and are sounded by plug ins in different rooms.

Recently, about twice a week, I have been roused from sleep by door chimes.

It sounds like neither of the 2 chimes, but I check the doors anyway - no-one there. :confused:

In my groggy half asleep state I am not even sure which plug in unit is emitting the sound. It has happened occasionally in the evening too, but more often between 6am and 9am.

Could it possibly be those car doorlock key fobs being used by people parking nearby when they visit their allottments?
Any other suggestions as to cause are welcomed.

jaysay 17-02-2008 11:40

Re: Phantom bellringer - anyone else got one?

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 532070)
I have two radio doorbells. I have two front doors - one is on the door access to the stairwell and the other is on my front door proper.

They don't have the same chime and are sounded by plug ins in different rooms.

Recently, about twice a week, I have been roused from sleep by door chimes.

It sounds like neither of the 2 chimes, but I check the doors anyway - no-one there. :confused:

In my groggy half asleep state I am not even sure which plug in unit is emitting the sound. It has happened occasionally in the evening too, but more often between 6am and 9am.

Could it possibly be those car doorlock key fobs being used by people parking nearby when they visit their allottments?

Could well be, although I'm not well up on this type of gadget, but if it keeps happening send for Dan Acroyde and his ghost busters:D

yerself 17-02-2008 12:45

Phantom bell ringers are usually male, between 4' 10" and 5' 8" tall and aged 10 to 14 yrs old.

katex 17-02-2008 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 532070)
[SIZE=2]

They are not supposed to affect any other areas of electronics though, are they ? 'Cept did have a remote key once that turned me telly over .. :D

jelly baby 17-02-2008 13:54

We had this problem when our next door neighbours fitted a new radio bell. It was on the same frequency as ours and both would ring when one was pressed. You can change the frequency on these, it will tell you how in the instructions, it's a pretty simple matter - must be 'cos I managed to do it lol!!

Speedy 17-02-2008 14:38

5 foot 8 aged between 10 and 14!?! Im only 5 foot 7 and a half at 20. I feel like a dwarf lol.

shillelagh 17-02-2008 14:42

No - simple reason i dont have a doorbell. Anyone comes to my door they have to knock.

katex 17-02-2008 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 532152)
5 foot 8 aged between 10 and 14!?! Im only 5 foot 7 and a half at 20. I feel like a dwarf lol.

LOL .. love the 'half' bit Speedy.. :D You wouldn't be able to reach then ?

Speedy 17-02-2008 14:53

I have to count the half an inch....every little helps. And thats a very good allibi i couldnt reach your door bell if i tried so its not me.

panther 17-02-2008 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 532152)

lol my daughters 5 Ft 9 and is only 14....ya hobbit:D

MargaretR 17-02-2008 18:04

After seeing Kate's post I am convinced that a car keyfob is the culprit, as I suspected.
It cant be a neighbour's bell because only I have this gadget round here.
So there is not a lot I can do about it, except learn to ignore it because it is identifiable as the phantom - being like a few 1st notes of one of the 2 chimes.
Just glad to know that I am not being haunted or 'knicknacked' by a hobbit :D

yerself 17-02-2008 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
because only I have this gadget round here.

Hyacinth Bucket eat your heart out.:D

Speedy 17-02-2008 21:40

You mentioned that your doorbell was a plug-in one. So why not unplug it at night and stick it back in in the morning?

MargaretR 17-02-2008 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speedy (Post 532441)
You mentioned that your doorbell was a plug-in one. So why not unplug it at night and stick it back in in the morning?

Five stars for lateral thinking Speedy - except that as a retired person who is an avid ebayer it would not do to have a lie-in and miss a parcel- but worth a bit of karma :D

beechy 18-02-2008 13:53

as stated earlier why not just change the
frequency on the gadget ;)