Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Local schools could close (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/local-schools-could-close-40216.html)

jaysay 10-06-2008 09:17

Local schools could close

The Government is launching its nation benchmark for schools today with schools not reaching there targets in GCSE results in three years facing closure. Moorhead, in Accrington, and Rhyddings in Oswaldtwistle are local schools in danger, Witton Park in Blackburn is also on the list

jaysay 10-06-2008 09:19

Re: Local schools could close

Sorry put this in the wrong catagory, no doubt it will get moved soon:rolleyes:

lancsdave 10-06-2008 09:23

Moorhead won't exist by September anyway :rolleyes:

Nickelson 10-06-2008 10:23

Yeah As Above, With 10% able to be handpicked you think they wont make the cut :/

onlyme 10-06-2008 10:25

How come?

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 10:27

Moorhead is supposed to be closing as a High School and reopening as an Academy in September.

I just wish they'd leave well alone and let the teachers get on with actually teaching.

onlyme 10-06-2008 10:29

So its just a name change then lol

I'd hardly think it was likely that the Governement would close schools anyway, not after theyve forked up so much cash to put them there in the first place....mind you saying that, with this government, maybe

MargaretR 10-06-2008 10:31

Closure ? - surely a substandard education is better than none at all - where would those children go?

Neil 10-06-2008 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 590255)
Closure ? - surely a substandard education is better than none at all - where would those children go?

Its because of that type of attitudes that we have sub standard schools in the first place. Wash your mouth out with carbolic soap girl ( or some herbal alternative if you prefer ;) )

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 11:02

But what do they do when they close a school? It disrupts the children's education, especially the ones in the middle of GCSEs. They are under enough pressure already without the school being pulled out from under them!

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:32

If they are closing MoorHead as a school then shouldn't they tell the people that attend? lol

Someone I know sends her kids there and she mentioned the other day that they need to change uniforms for September, not that they need to change schools:rolleyes:

'erindoors 10-06-2008 11:38

We have 4 children at Moorhead and we knew all about the Acadamy changes. They will still continue to go there and our eldest who is in year ten at the mo, will still be able to carry out the GCSE's that she is doing. As for the uniforms, in a news letter from the Head it states "In preparation for next September, we are in discussion about some minor modifications to our school uniform." "These modifications will be at NO cost to existing students."
Shauna (our eldest) says she has seen these 'new uniforms' as they have been getting some students to model them for photo's, she recons they look ok.

Gail xxxx

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:40

So what about the new intake for the Academy then? WIll that differ from a normal school?

'erindoors 10-06-2008 11:45

I shouldn't think so, The Acadamy just meens you can stay on untill you're 18 and there will be alot more courses available for the students.
It's better than the Acadamy that St Christophers wanted to open, (I think), because they were going to be a bit more fussy who to let in, shall we say, those that are a bit more academic than the average joe. At least here they're giving everyone a chance.

Gail xxxx

lancsdave 10-06-2008 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by onlyme (Post 590252)
So its just a name change then lol

pooh sticks... I've been sussed :D

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:47

Well it seems a good idea, if it gives everyone a chance

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 11:48

My youngest goes to Moorhead and we have been told the same as Gail. There has been no mention of threatened closure. The differences are that they offer a wider scope of courses and can share some of the courses with other schools or with the college. They can stay on at Moorhead Academy for 6th form college. Em isn't impressed with the uniform, but she isn't impressed with the current uniform either.

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 11:49

It's more than just a name change.

AccyLass 10-06-2008 11:51

Whats the new uniform to be like?

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 11:53

I'll get Em to describe it in more than the one word she used when telling me!

WillowTheWhisp 10-06-2008 12:04

Just heard on the news that the worst schools are being given 3 years to 'turn themselves around' - (putting my school governor head on for a minute) I sometimes think the powers that be have absolutely no idea what happens in some of our schools and the problems they are up against.

Neil 10-06-2008 12:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 590290)
It's better than the Acadamy that St Christophers wanted to open, (I think)

:rofl38:

pussycat 10-06-2008 23:29

Quote:

I shouldn't think so, The Acadamy just meens you can stay on untill you're 18 and there will be alot more courses available for the students.
It's better than the Acadamy that St Christophers wanted to open, (I think), because they were going to be a bit more fussy who to let in, shall we say, those that are a bit more academic than the average joe. At least here they're giving everyone a chance.

Gail xxxx

Is It this year that new year 7 kids stay at school till there 18 and that why all the change are happen ,

'erindoors 11-06-2008 08:16

Recieved another letter/form yesterday, It's an order form for the new uniform and we have to tick what sizes are needed, and as I said NO charge.
You get; YR 11 GIRLS
White polo shirt,
PE sweatshirt,
PE shorts,
White socks,
School outer jacket.
BOYS (our boys will be in yrs 8, 9 & 10)
Sweatshirt
College Tie
White polo shirt
Football shirt
PE shorts
White socks
Navy socks
School outer jacket.

lancsdave 11-06-2008 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 590825)
Recieved another letter/form yesterday, It's an order form for the new uniform and we have to tick what sizes are needed, and as I said NO charge.
You get; YR 11 GIRLS
White polo shirt,
PE sweatshirt,
PE shorts,
White socks,
School outer jacket.
BOYS (our boys will be in yrs 8, 9 & 10)
Sweatshirt
College Tie
White polo shirt
Football shirt
PE shorts
White socks
Navy socks
School outer jacket.

If they are wearing sweatshirts & polo shirts why do they need a tie ?

'erindoors 11-06-2008 08:30

Oh, thats part of the PE kit hun, sorry. We obviously have to provide the shirts and trousers ect...

Gail xxxx

AccyLass 11-06-2008 08:39

Yeah cos they have no logo on, are they staying the same colour? Just changing the name?

'erindoors 11-06-2008 08:44

Oooooo, I'm not sure about the colour hun, I'll ask Shauna tonight.

panther 11-06-2008 08:59

My daughter goes to rhyddings, and noticed this headline when i was on my way to school to school this morning!

Its on the front page of the telegraph, so i will get it later and see whats going on!

Rhyddings IMO is not the same when i was there!, It would make a differance if the headmaster put his foot down and made the pupils wear the proper uniform for a start, instead of letting the girls wear anything they want, from glitter belts to high heels:eek: and more discipline!

If they did shut the school what then?, shove em all in different schools , make the class number go up, and then that school will fail because there are too much disruption in the class.....they should be building more schools not bloody closing em.....:angry:

Oh and for those whose kids go to rhyddings....they are off friday>>>Teacher training day:rolleyes:;)

'erindoors 11-06-2008 09:07

Shauna went to Rhyddings for her 1st two years at high school. She was proper bullied there. I did everything I could but the school diddn't back us up at all. The 'bully' in Shauna's eyes, was the one who needed the help as she was obviously going through something that made her like she was. Unfortunatly for Shauna though, she was MADE to feel like a victim and was often put in the support suit. She felt isolated and therefore the problem wasn't resolved. I moved all my children to Moorhead because of this.

Gail xxxx

panther 11-06-2008 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 590841)
Shauna went to Rhyddings for her 1st two years at high school. She was proper bullied there. I did everything I could but the school diddn't back us up at all. The 'bully' in Shauna's eyes, was the one who needed the help as she was obviously going through something that made her like she was. Unfortunatly for Shauna though, she was MADE to feel like a victim and was often put in the support suit. She felt isolated and therefore the problem wasn't resolved. I moved all my children to Moorhead because of this.

Gail xxxx

agree with ya there, bullies do need help!

Thankfully my daughter has never been bullied, or been a bully...for a start, it would have finished before it started...im very protective of my kids;), they mess with them, they mess with me!!

hope ya daughter is doing ok now;)....no kid should go through that:(

'erindoors 11-06-2008 09:38

She's doing great ta, got a good head on her shoulders thank goodness.

Gail xxxx

jaysay 11-06-2008 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 590301)
Just heard on the news that the worst schools are being given 3 years to 'turn themselves around' - (putting my school governor head on for a minute) I sometimes think the powers that be have absolutely no idea what happens in some of our schools and the problems they are up against.

I agree with you Willow, its a load of BALLS, Ed Balls that is, he is o education that Bernard Manning was to hang gliding:rolleyes:

Nickelson 11-06-2008 11:10

The Academy Is More Than A Name Change !

As from September 2008. Accrington Moorhead will ceast to exist and a new academy called the Accrington Academy, will take over.

The Academy is highly controversial as it is run by a seperate company - ULT (United Learning Trust) and they recieve all the normal funding off the government and are able to 'attract' more funding though the means of sponsorships. Also as an idependant school they can just 'kick' pupils out and keep all the money paid for them by the government in which currently a state school has to pay back. Also as i said early the school can 'hand pick' 10% of the pupils.

The majority of there academys take years to plan and be given the go-ahead due to local people protesting etc. However this one seems to have been agreed and hands shaken in less than a year.

Pupils will not be required to attend till they are 18. However they are building a new A-Level Six Form on site, in which current pupils and pupils from surrounding schools may attend.

The uniform for the new academy looks like Norden's and in my opinion is utterly disqusting.

For more information check out the main site ; http://www.ult.org.uk/

'erindoors 11-06-2008 11:13

Ahh!, I've been searching for that, cheers hun.

Gail xxxx

derekgas 12-06-2008 07:19

It will all be in some way saving money! Except for parents, for whom it is likely to cost more.

Benipete 12-06-2008 12:25

Quote:

Gail xxxx

Its not about being more academic to go to St Christophers, its about attending church with your parents on a regular basis.:cool:

'erindoors 12-06-2008 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benipete (Post 591516)
Its not about being more academic to go to St Christophers, its about attending church with your parents on a regular basis.:cool:

wasn't on about the school itself hun, was on about the Acadamy they wanted to build, which was refused.

Gail xxxx

SamF 12-06-2008 13:12

Thing is St.Chris' does get the better results but I do think that is simply because they have more gifted pupils go... these people who would get A*'s anywhere... I'd say the best value-added school in the area is Hollins

Nickelson 12-06-2008 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 591520)
wasn't on about the school itself hun, was on about the Acadamy they wanted to build, which was refused.

Gail xxxx

No St.Christophers wanted to build a sixth form, Much different from an academy.

Quote:

fI'd say the best value-added school in the area is Hollins
actually its moorhead top 3 in lancashire.

'erindoors 13-06-2008 09:47

http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/..._may_be_closed

And you say Moorhead is in the top 3??

I don't get it!!

AccyLass 13-06-2008 09:52

I had a glimpse of the new academy uniform in the Telegraph last night

Might be me not seeing it properly but it doesn't look much different from the one they have now

Nickelson 13-06-2008 16:02

Value added is the results from yr 6 taken into account with the results from yr 11.

Mr Aleks 13-06-2008 16:24

Hope they dont close. Only reason we send them there is for abit of peace.

pussycat 13-06-2008 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 590841)

Gail xxxx

i had 4 boys at rhyddings one has just lefted , im not being funny but some of the teachers there bully kids , im sendin my 2 youngest to montcarmel,( sorry about the spelling )

Lilly 14-06-2008 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 591526)
Thing is St.Chris' does get the better results but I do think that is simply because they have more gifted pupils go... these people who would get A*'s anywhere... I'd say the best value-added school in the area is Hollins

I wouldn't say that St. Christopher's pupils are necessarily gifted but there is certainly some truth in the saying that schools can only do so much with the children they get coming through the door.

A school isn't going to get good results in English exams if they have a majority of pupils for whom English is not their first language. They cannot be expected to get the same results as a school where the majority of pupils do have English as their first language.

This is why league tables are unfair. They give the impression that children haven't learned anything and that teachers haven't worked hard.

This is why the value added figure should be looked at more closely than anything else because this shows how the children have improved from when they entered to when they left.

Schools can only do so much though. Parental support for the child and school are paramount and make such a difference to the child's attitude to school work.

hedman2003 14-06-2008 15:23

It's all political posturing by a Labour Government that is now getting desperate (and I say that as a person for the past 30 years who has always voted Labour)

2 years ago Rhyddings were in the top 100 schools in the country for its results however examine other statistics and their faced with closure!!!

Rhyddings has an admission number of 225, where in Hynburn would those 220plus kids per year go to? If they closed a High School in Hyndburn it would simply reopen the following day with a new name!!!!

In every school you will always get a minority of parents who are not happy with the school but if I lived in Ossy I would have no hesitation in sending my kids there