Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   anyone on here build websites ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/anyone-on-here-build-websites-44807.html)

glasgow guy 06-01-2009 20:25

anyone on here build websites ?

I am looking to have a website built for the start of mrs GG's new venture, does anyone on here do such a thing ?

thanks..

Studio25 06-01-2009 21:10

Re: anyone on here build websites ?

How complex does it need to be?

lancscat 06-01-2009 21:52

my nephew does it he is called matthew he asked me to pass his number on its
07807 551208 .hope this helps

mr_flibble 06-01-2009 21:54

Hi, im lancscat's nephew, im a professional web developer for some of the uk's biggest web sites. Feel free to call me on 07807 551208 at any time to have a chat about your needs

glasgow guy 06-01-2009 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 666629)

not that complexed, bout 4 pages in total.

welcome page, etc etc...
no vids, no music, no gifs..nothing like that.
a bog standard normal does as it says on the tin website.

glasgow guy 06-01-2009 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 666645)
Hi, im lancscat's nephew, im a professional web developer for some of the uk's biggest web sites. Feel free to call me on 07807 551208 at any time to have a chat about your needs

will be in contact over the nest few days.

mr_flibble 06-01-2009 22:52

No problem, i'm free to talk whenever you like.

entwisi 07-01-2009 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 666661)
Running Ubuntu 6.06 on a brand spanking new Quad Core Q6600 G0

I'm assuming this sig is quite old....

seeing as we are on 8.10 now. :D

If you genuinely still on that I'd worry about your web development/technical skills.

To GG, seriously if its dead simple static content you can do the pages yourself within many free tools just like writing a Word doc. The hard bit is getting good rankings in search engines. Perhaps if you describe what you aim to achieve by teh web site we can advise you further.

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 666749)
I'm assuming this sig is quite old....

seeing as we are on 8.10 now. :D

If you genuinely still on that I'd worry about your web development/technical skills.

Alas it is an old sig yes, im running 8.04 LTS desktop and server, as for my development and technical skills i can always provide details of sites im responcible for.

If its a business venture then really a home made web site just wont cut it.

entwisi 07-01-2009 11:59

and why do you think that for a simpe site ( as GG described, no flash, no ads, no nothing apart from pure textual info) you need anything other than notepad/vi? I've written hundreds of pages that have been used on a Blue chip Co Banking website in vi. there is nothing wrong with using a simple WYSIWYG for what he wants. Those who pretend anything else are just wrong or trying to make it a 'black art'.

I'm also fed up of seeing pages written in such complex manner using all sorts of showcase skills when a simple flat HTML page is smaller and easier to maintain.

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 13:26

Who said anything about making it a black art? or doing anything complex? I certainly have no intention of trying to sell him some php/mysql driven monster site with ajax and jquery or any of that fancy stuff.

There is however a BIG difference between a professionally designed plain HTML site and something knocked together in dreamweaver. It also has an impact on Search Engine Optimization, which might or might not be important.

entwisi 07-01-2009 13:35

Quote:

If its a business venture then really a home made web site just wont cut it.
I've seen many "home made websites" that more than cut the mustard. that was a sweeping generalisation that holds no weight.

So lets see teh quality of your work then, Some example sites?

The proof of the pudding etc

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 13:39

ok, not that i exactly need to prove myself to you.

The Dialect Dictionary - Dialects, glossarys and slang - Language your way

Datz Music Lounge

myClickNow

entwisi 07-01-2009 13:50

heh, all blocked from work by web washer so I'll have to look at them later :D

lancsdave 07-01-2009 13:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 666827)

Is
Quote:

comming soon
an actual typo or some form of dialect on the first one ?

entwisi 07-01-2009 14:10

hang on lancsdave, perhaps we should charge to proof read his websites :D

Polly_45 07-01-2009 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 666834)
hang on lancsdave, perhaps we should charge to proof read his websites :D

I see another post that has turned into something other than what the poster initially asked.deary me everyday i wonder just why i bother to read accyweb at all:tongueout

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 14:42

The coming soon is in reference to the more complex social networking features that im developing for the site. Eventually it will allow people to add new words and dialects in a similar fashion to a wiki.

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 14:45

Correction, my fault. just spotted that error.

Caz 07-01-2009 15:00

Quote:

I see another post that has turned into something other than what the poster initially asked.deary me everyday i wonder just why i bother to read accyweb at all:tongueout
Maybe this is one of the cases where someone - GG -is being helped, and possibly saved some money Polly? :confused:

There are several spelling and grammar errors in the bits I have bothered to look at so far. Don't know of any self respecting professional web designer who woud allow a site to go live without being proof read. You don't just assume the client's spelling/grammar is correct, you get it sorted so it looks professional. Bad grammar/spelling may not be an issue on a forum, but it certainly is if you are trying to promote a new business, as it gives an impression.

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 15:04

As for the dialect dictionary, it is not a business but a personal hobby I run. As for the other two i really cant speak because i did not write the actual content but rather the site design and back end code.

If they want to save some money then by all means they should make it, if that what is important to them then that is just fine.

Polly_45 07-01-2009 15:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 666848)
Maybe this is one of the cases where someone - GG -is being helped, and possibly saved some money Polly? :confused:

There are several spelling and grammar errors in the bits I have bothered to look at so far. Don't know of any self respecting professional web designer who woud allow a site to go live without being proof read. You don't just assume the client's spelling/grammar is correct, you get it sorted so it looks professional. Bad grammar/spelling may not be an issue on a forum, but it certainly is if you are trying to promote a new business, as it gives an impression.

possibly so,but in my opinion no one should come under attack for asking or even offering to help the initial poster.if this was to happen on my forum i wouldnt be a happy bunny.Surely we are all here to help and offer any advice.not pull each others posts to bit.

pipinfort 07-01-2009 15:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly_45 (Post 666856)
.Surely we are all here to help and offer any advice.not pull each others posts to bits.

Some people on here are good at that............( although not the ones who have posted in this thread, you know who you are.....:rolleyes:)

emamum 07-01-2009 15:18

i actually thought they were helping him out and havig a technical discussion that i didnt understand a word of (happens alot with entwisi lol :D )

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 15:24

i'm not here to start any arguments or rip anybody off. If they want to services of a wed developer than they have my number and im always available for a chat in which i always tell the customer all of the options they have open even if that is making it without me.

I'd rather have a good reputation than go around ripping people off, which anybody who has used me for development or support would vouch for.

lancsdave 07-01-2009 15:37

I asked a genuine question because I wasn't sure if it was a typo or some other spelling/meaning of the word in this weird and wonderful world we now live in :D

As it happens I did him a favour by questioning it ;)

I actually wanted to ask a question of my own about websites but I better not in case somebody doesn't like the answer, or even worse there is more than one opinion :D

mr_flibble 07-01-2009 19:09

Thanks lancsdave, i had not spotted the mistake but its now fixed :-)

Studio25 08-01-2009 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 666656)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 666629)

not that complexed, bout 4 pages in total.

welcome page, etc etc...
no vids, no music, no gifs..nothing like that.
a bog standard normal does as it says on the tin website.

If you put together your text in four separate documents, most wordprocessors will allow you to save it as HTML. Save it before you've typed to much, so the restrictions imposed by HTML will be available while you're typing (WYSIWYG).

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, email me the docs by all means. Sounds like it will be about five minutes work to get them converted from word format or RTF into HTML format. Just make sure you have some consistent way of identifying where you want links between the documents, and any links to pages on ther sites.

Where will the pages be hosted?

mr_flibble 08-01-2009 14:51

Hold on your honestly suggesting building the web site in a word processor? Have you ever seen the HTML produced by a word processor?

I don't mean to be rude but that is a seriously bad idea, even if you just look at it from an search engine point of view. Google and other search engines really don't like that sort of stuff to the point where you might as well not even have a web page.

For what it costs to get a 4 page static web site done its seriously not worth doing yourself in MS Word.

entwisi 08-01-2009 19:26

Have you ever seen the code generated by a word processor? Specifically Open Office Writer. Its actually very clean of all the crap that Word adds.

andrewb 08-01-2009 19:31

Mr_Fibble do you have a website with portfolio/prices?

Royboy39 08-01-2009 20:33

The lad was not applying to become IT manager for NASA...He offered his services to build a simple website. At least he has the balls to do that without being shot down.
I cant see any point of discussing a business arrangement on this forum.
Anyone who tries to belittle a fellow member who is trying to make a crust in these hard times and who deserves full credit for his efforts, should be ashamed.
I notice that the ones or should I say one, who has made most of this thread has not offered to build a website for our friend?
If you want the job.....bloody well ask for it.
Sorry GG but this was turning into baby house.

mr_flibble 08-01-2009 20:34

We dont publish prices as each customer has individual requirements etc but feel free to take a look at our web site Yellow Satsuma - Homepage, The start of great things - Passion for Design

- Matthew

[email protected]

Polly_45 08-01-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 667321)
The lad was not applying to become IT manager for NASA...He offered his services to build a simple website. At least he has the balls to do that without being shot down.
Anyone who tries to belittle a fellow member who is trying to make a crust in these hard times and who deserves full credit for his efforts, should be ashamed.
I notice that the ones or should I say one, who has made most of this thread has not offered to build a website for our friend?

My sentiments exactly as i said in a earlier post people come on here to ask for help and advice if given so be it,but of late a couple of posters have asked for help only to find it offered,and then certain members try their upmost to shoot them down or ridicule the poster.very sad

Caz 08-01-2009 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 667321)

That is totally unfair. What is the difference in suggesting someone might get a better plumber, builder, car sprayer etc, and may get better value for money. Why is web Design different?

Also that he could save a lot of money by doing the job himself, either using a pagebuilder or by learning HTML. Flashy sites are totally unnecessary, and quite annoying, especially if a business wants to give quick access to information. If this is a new venture GG's wife is setting out on the more money he can save at the moment the better.

And got to add again, having been through the Web Creations, many descriptions, and home pages have spelling errors, grammatical errors and are wrongly worded. Doesn't give a professional image to me.

Royboy39 08-01-2009 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667328)
That is totally unfair. What is the difference in suggesting someone might get a better plumber, builder, car sprayer etc, and may get better value for money. Why is web Design different?

Also that he could save a lot of money by doing the job himself, either using a pagebuilder or by learning HTML. Flashy sites are totally unnecessary, and quite annoying, especially if a business wants to give quick access to information. If this is a new venture GG's wife is setting out on the more money he can save at the moment the better

I suggested that to GG on day one by PM.
Show me a webpage that you have created and let me pick the bones out of that? :)

Caz 08-01-2009 21:18

If you are asking if I have done any, yes I have, only one is live at the moment, which was the first I made when I was learning, online, just like GG can. The others have been removed by me, for one reason or another. I am not a professional, but do it when I fancy because I like doing it
The comment Ian made about some people making it seem like a black art is true.
If you are a massive business concern, go ahead and waste money. If you are not, don't.

You didn't answer the question, what's the difference?

You're old school Roy, surely? Wouldn't you expect a professionally worded document from a professional?

Studio25 08-01-2009 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 667203)
For what it costs to get a 4 page static web site done its seriously not worth doing yourself in MS Word.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 667322)
We dont publish prices...

So how do we find out what it costs to get a 4 page static web site done?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 667203)
Hold on your honestly suggesting building the web site in a word processor?

No what I was actually suggesting was that GG email the documents to me, and I'll convert them to HTML and email them back.

I wasn't accepting any responsibility for the documents' content, nor uploading the results to the server, which is why I asked who was doing the hosting (so I could direct GG to the appropriate ISP's FTP help page).

Royboy39 08-01-2009 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667337)
You're old school Roy, surely? Wouldn't you expect a professionally worded document from a professional?

Yes I would...and the approval of the client on the finished product would be paramount.

Royboy39 08-01-2009 21:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Studio25 (Post 667345)
So how do we find out what it costs to get a 4 page static web site done?

No what I was actually suggesting was that GG email the documents to me, and I'll convert them to HTML and email them back.

I wasn't accepting any responsibility for the documents' content, nor uploading the results to the server, which is why I asked who was doing the hosting (so I could direct GG to the appropriate ISP's FTP help page).

I think your rum is stronger than mine;)

mr_flibble 08-01-2009 21:54

Well i can not defend any grammer or spelling mistakes on our web site, the site is designed to be an informal and friendly description of the services we provide and not the definition of perfect english grammer and spelling.

Unfortunetly neither me or my business partner did our honours degree's in english language.

Why im defending myself on here is totally beyond me, and if you take your time to look at the work we have done for some very large organisations you will see the quality of our work. In fact if any of your reading this live in a barrats, persimon or red row house then we most likely designed your architectual masonry along with the web site of the companys involved in making it.

How do you get a price for a static 4 page web site? Well thats simple, you contact us and we will give you a custom tailored quote to suit your needs and budget.
Not every static 4 page site is the same, you may need custom logo's and graphics.. or not. Thats why we visit you and talk about all your available options.

If the Warner and EMI music lables are happy with our work then i really am not going to defend myself on here any further.

I offered our services to the starter of this topic not because i want to make a quick bit of money or i want to make some fancy all singing and dancing site they dont need so i can charge an arm and a leg, but rather because i know we can offer a low cost and high quality service.

--Regards

Matthew

(and no i havent spell checked this post and it has not been submitted to the grammar police)

Caz 08-01-2009 22:01

So if a plumber asks a client if his work is ok, that's it? Job done?

So we assume that the client who goes to a web designer is A1 at spelling?

If it was me, I would expect said professional WD to have proof read the site, and make sure it was perfect, so as to give a good impression. That is what the site is there for.

Same as if I gave a secretary a letter to type out, I would expect her to check spelling grammar etc, although all to often these days we receive letters from large concerns that aren't, and that is shameful

Reminds me of when i worked at My Travel.
Had to package NVQ folders and certificates, and post to reps. Came accross one certificate that was wrongly named to Francis, instead of Frances. Pointed this out and was told "oh, just post it"...pathetic.

Almost as bad as our local papers.

Caz 08-01-2009 22:04

Quote:

Unfortunetly neither me or my business partner did our honours degree's in english language.

Neither did most of us I presume. But the errors are glaringly obvious. Now you are confusing me. Are you informal, or a professional business?

Royboy39 08-01-2009 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667353)

So we assume that the client who goes to a web designer is A1 at spelling?

If it was me, I would expect said professional WD to have proof read the site, and make sure it was perfect, so as to give a good impression. That is what the site is there for.

Same as if I gave a secretary a letter to type out, I would expect her to check spelling grammar etc, although all to often these days we receive letters from large concerns that aren't, and that is shameful

Reminds me of when i worked at My Travel.
Had to package NVQ folders and certificates, and post to reps. Came accross one certificate that was wrongly named to Francis, instead of Frances. Pointed this out and was told "oh, just post it"...pathetic.

Almost as bad as our local papers.

Are you offering your services as a spell checker? :confused:

churchman phil 08-01-2009 22:07

Glasgow Guy - have sent you a pm.

mr_flibble 08-01-2009 22:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667353)

To put this into how we do our development, at each stage of building a site we involve the customer in every aspect from the initial conception to the wire frame, graphics design and layout / storyboarding (if needed). As the site progresses we show the customer how its going and request any alterations or comments that they have. Once we believe the site to be finished then we show them the result at which point they either sign off on it or request changes to be made.

Most of our customers provide there own content for the sites we build, and by that i dont mean they just send us a text file and we plonk it in. Most of our sites allow the customer to edit the text content without our assistance, at which point we can hardly be held up for any spelling or grammar errors.

If your going to find fault with what we do then please find it with the HTML and CSS code, not the spelling mistakes that our customers make.

Caz 08-01-2009 22:11

[QUOTEAre you offering your services as a spell checker?][/QUOTE]

Why? spotted an error in one of my forum posts? :D

mr_flibble 08-01-2009 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667354)
Now you are confusing me. Are you informal, or a professional business?

Don't think you will find i said anything about not being professional's in what we do, just that our site is presented in a relaxed, friendly and informal way and not at all sales orientated trying to confuse people and get them to spend money they dont need to.

I have to say im glad im not a regular on this site.

Royboy39 08-01-2009 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_flibble (Post 667358)
To put this into how we do our development, at each stage of building a site we involve the customer in every aspect from the initial conception to the wire frame, graphics design and layout / storyboarding (if needed). As the site progresses we show the customer how its going and request any alterations or comments that they have. Once we believe the site to be finished then we show them the result at which point they either sign off on it or request changes to be made.

Most of our customers provide there own content for the sites we build, and by that i dont mean they just send us a text file and we plonk it in. Most of our sites allow the customer to edit the text content without our assistance, at which point we can hardly be held up for any spelling or grammar errors.

If your going to find fault with what we do then please find it with the HTML and CSS code, not the spelling mistakes that our customers make.

Mathew..............I am going to bed.........good luck.

Polly_45 08-01-2009 22:47

Royboy
Someone is sure to pull you to pieces over your spelling of Mathew think its spelt Matthew,cos they seem to like pulling people to pieces on here:rolleyes:

Caz 08-01-2009 22:49

No decent member would pull someone to pieces over spelling in a forum post..totally different issue Polly. Note one of the posts I made earlier today :)

Forum posts are a different kettle of fish, often made in haste, and informal, no need to use a spelling or grammar checker...who cares?

BERNADETTE 08-01-2009 23:02

For goodness sake why do members not just butt out? GG asked if any members built websites and Lanscat put forward mr flibble, surely the discussion should be between GG and mr flibble if the offer is taken up. Read through this thread and then ask yourselves why a lot of regular our posters are no longer posting!! It is happening quite a lot just lately, just take a step back and think about it. I'm sure GG is quite capable of checking that things are acceptable if and when he decides to accept the deal.

Caz 08-01-2009 23:12

So we all butt out?
If that was the case Bernadette, no one would ever offer information, help, or advice or even just opinions?

I asked for information about car sprayers earlier, was quite prepared for someone to say "don't go to suchabody" or "this guy is a nono"

What is the difference?
It's a forum, and people are allowed to input as they see fit. The majority of the people who have posted here seem to want to avoid GG having any unnecessary expense. Where is the problem with that.

And what is the problem with judging a professional's workmanship if one sees fit?

BERNADETTE 08-01-2009 23:42

To me it is just a case of to many people giving advice that wasn't really warranted. In fact it is an ansult to GG and his wife to suggest that they wouldn't pick up on the bad vocabulary if they did indeed take mr flibble up on his offer.

Read into it what you wish but once again I ask why are so many of our previously regular posters not active on the site these days?

Caz 08-01-2009 23:50

Nobody is saying GG wouldn't pick up on errors, so in no way is it an insult to him! doubt he ever thought it was.
Would suggest the core of Accy web has always been there. Even I came back, and the reason I didn't post for so long had nothing to do with posters and their comments. You can take them or leave them! If you don't agree with them, defend your opinion. :)

cherokee 09-01-2009 00:08

At the end of the day there are a lot of nit pickers on here who would and have crucified for bad spelling.
My own brother who is disabled and housebound unless family take him out used to love posting on this site but because he was such a bad speller he got ripped on many occasions which resulted in him ceasing his activity on here.
Bad spelling really should not be an issue. I think most of us have the ability to seperate bad spelling from text talk .
bad spelling on here seems to be cropping up a lot so maybe its time for our more mature and intellectual members to sit back, take stock and realise that bad grammar / spelling isnt the be all and end all and proves nothing about your ability to be a forum member.

Caz 09-01-2009 00:25

As I have stated cherokee, members such as myself, do not pick on people over spelling. I put a post in Accylads(?) thread this afternoon, defending him over such.

Can anyone say they are 100 percent perfect grammar and spelling wise on a forum? Doubt it.

The issue is professional work, not forum posts.:mad:

Polly_45 09-01-2009 00:33

Well for what its worth i have a web site built by the lad you all ragging
It also has a forum attatched didnt cost me the earth its plain and easily read with a host of information.im highly satisfied with it and so are the people who use it,It also has backing from the KC regards breed standard and health issues and heart scores,If GG wishes to see it he is more than welcome if he pops me a PM.
Its pretty darn boring to anyone not connected to dogs or showing/breeding to breed standard but it suits me and that is all that matters,ya pay ya money and you take your choice

cherokee 09-01-2009 00:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caz (Post 667382)
As I have stated cherokee, members such as myself, do not pick on people over spelling. I put a post in Accylads(?) thread this afternoon, defending him over such.

Can anyone say they are 100 percent perfect grammar and spelling wise on a forum? Doubt it.

The issue is professional work, not forum posts.:mad:

Sorry caz wasnt actually aiming at you. Never seen you pick up on grammr/spelling so im in no position to. ;);)
Nit picking seems to have taken over what IMO looked like an innocent question and to be fair i think if one was building a website then care would probably be taken to ensure its appearance and spelling.
My point in all this is that I seem to be viewing a few threads picking up on members spelling and to be honest it really isnt fair on those members.
We all make mistakes.
Poor GG only asked a question and when someone answers it they get ripped. Not on IMO. sorry

cherokee 09-01-2009 01:07

[quote=cherokee;667384]Sorry caz wasnt actually aiming at you. Never seen you pick up on grammr/spelling so im in no position to. ;);)

Take that back have read this thread again caz and you are picking up quite a lot on his spelling.
Do think the guy has more than explained himself though.

Caz 09-01-2009 01:23

Piking up on a professional, not an average poster, wouldn't class myself as perfect on a forum, make loads of errors I can't be bothered to correct coz it aint necessary, but expect professional work from a professional who I may be paying? Is that too much to expect?:confused:

lancsdave 09-01-2009 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 667368)
Read through this thread and then ask yourselves why a lot of regular our posters are no longer posting!!

Is it because they get critiscised for offering advice ? ;)

lancsdave 09-01-2009 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly_45 (Post 667383)
Well for what its worth i have a web site built by the lad you all ragging
It also has a forum attatched didnt cost me the earth its plain and easily read with a host of information.im highly satisfied with it and so are the people who use it,It also has backing from the KC regards breed standard and health issues and heart scores,If GG wishes to see it he is more than welcome if he pops me a PM.
Its pretty darn boring to anyone not connected to dogs or showing/breeding to breed standard but it suits me and that is all that matters,ya pay ya money and you take your choice

How much did it cost ?

Polly_45 09-01-2009 11:37

Pm sent lancsdave

lancscat 09-01-2009 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 667368)
For goodness sake why do members not just butt out? GG asked if any members built websites and Lanscat put forward mr flibble, surely the discussion should be between GG and mr flibble if the offer is taken up. Read through this thread and then ask yourselves why a lot of regular our posters are no longer posting!! It is happening quite a lot just lately, just take a step back and think about it. I'm sure GG is quite capable of checking that things are acceptable if and when he decides to accept the deal.

thanks i could not have worded a reply better myself,some people here on accyweb just seem to want to rip people to bits,for goodness sake grow up!

glasgow guy 10-01-2009 13:27

having read through all the posts I was actually nervous bout coming back on here and replying:o...and to those who kindly pm'ed me..I have sent pms to certain people..:)
Now before I could actually get to business and talk to certain folk on here mrs gg like always steamed on ahead and built her own simple website..now after readind the posts on here I dont know if I want to give a link in fear of being rippd to bits..:D
but I dare say it wont be anyworse than what I have had in my life to date!

so her new venture is called 'wings and things pet services'..with her site being called funnily enough.. Wings and Things Pet Services
now I know its not up to scratch to the likes of one done professionally but its simple, straight to the point and says whats needs to said..and she is happy with it for the time being
if we are not happy within a couple of months with it then the relevant persons on here shall contacted.:)

now you have seen the site I have my tin hat on and await the posts of fear!:(:D

lancsdave 10-01-2009 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 667916)
having read through all the posts I was actually nervous bout coming back on here and replying:o...and to those who kindly pm'ed me..I have sent pms to certain people..:)
Now before I could actually get to business and talk to certain folk on here mrs gg like always steamed on ahead and built her own simple website..now after readind the posts on here I dont know if I want to give a link in fear of being rippd to bits..:D
but I dare say it wont be anyworse than what I have had in my life to date!

so her new venture is called 'wings and things pet services'..with her site being called funnily enough.. Wings and Things Pet Services
now I know its not up to scratch to the likes of one done professionally but its simple, straight to the point and says whats needs to said..and she is happy with it for the time being
if we are not happy within a couple of months with it then the relevant persons on here shall contacted.:)

now you have seen the site I have my tin hat on and await the posts of fear!:(:D

Looks fine GG. Can we point out possible typo's if we spot them ? :D

glasgow guy 10-01-2009 13:38

ha ha ha... I made sure the grammar police were involved with it and corrected any that were on it before putting the link up..thats not to say they missed any...

Neil 10-01-2009 13:39

I like what she has done, tell her she is a smart ass :D

Only advice I would give is to host it somewhere you don't have other peoples adverts displaying. Just something to think about when things take off.

Neil 10-01-2009 13:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 667917)
Looks fine GG. Can we point out possible typo's if we spot them ? :D

We all make mistakes so it is always a good idea to have anything important proof read by someone else. It is easy to miss your own mistakes. You know what it is supposed to say so can find yourself almost reading it without looking if you know what I mean.

Also good to have other people read it to make sure it makes sense to them as well for the reason.

lancsdave 10-01-2009 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 667918)
ha ha ha... I made sure the grammar police were involved with it and corrected any that were on it before putting the link up..thats not to say they missed any...

Just a personal choice of expression :)

On the services page it says "
Wings and Things are well experienced in equine management and believe in natural horsemanship methods.2

I would change well to very, when I read it I thought of Vickie Pollard :D

glasgow guy 10-01-2009 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 667920)
I like what she has done, tell her she is a smart ass :D

Only advice I would give is to host it somewhere you don't have other peoples adverts displaying. Just something to think about when things take off.

they are only there for the time being cos its still under the free trial..the adds disappear when you start paying for it..
which will happen pretty soon..

glasgow guy 10-01-2009 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 667922)
Just a personal choice of expression :)

On the services page it says "
Wings and Things are well experienced in equine management and believe in natural horsemanship methods.2

I would change well to very, when I read it I thought of Vickie Pollard :D

just for you dave - sorted.

and if you want to think of vicki pollard:eek:... well thats up to you..:D

churchman phil 10-01-2009 13:57

Have pm'd a reply to you GG and will shortly send another.

lancsdave 10-01-2009 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 667928)
just for you dave - sorted.

and if you want to think of vicki pollard:eek:... well thats up to you..:D

I think we should leave my thiughts of women to another thread :p

SamF 10-01-2009 15:48

If I get some free time I might knock ya one up for free - need to practise some HTML anyway.

Royboy39 13-01-2009 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 667399)
How much did it cost ?

Websites dont come cheap and if you are considering building your own consider how much it will cost you for the software.
I have used Shop Factory for many of my projects and have been quite satisfied with the result. It cost me £200 for the software and I can build as many websites as I want.
Hosting is another thing you have to consider....Get the thing up and running and you will sell...providing you put in the correct meta tags in place.

SamF 13-01-2009 23:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royboy39 (Post 668965)
Websites dont come cheap and if you are considering building your own consider how much it will cost you for the software.
I have used Shop Factory for many of my projects and have been quite satisfied with the result. It cost me £200 for the software and I can build as many websites as I want.
Hosting is another thing you have to consider....Get the thing up and running and you will sell...providing you put in the correct meta tags in place.

Notepad is free... if you want a wissywig just go open source... and if you are going to pay for software get Dreamweaver

Neil 13-01-2009 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamF (Post 668976)
if you want a wissywig just go open source

Do you mean "wysiwyg"?

I don't take the mick out of spelling because I am bad but how can you get that wrong?

For those that don't know it stands for What You See Is What You Get.

SamF 15-01-2009 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 668982)
Do you mean "wysiwyg"?

I don't take the mick out of spelling because I am bad but how can you get that wrong?

For those that don't know it stands for What You See Is What You Get.

Mispelt on purpose ;) Spelt phonetically :)

katex 30-01-2009 17:09

See your lovely wife has been featured in the 'My Life' column in the Observer this week Pipinfort.

Love the answer to: "Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with"
Her answer was:"Ray Winstone because, apart from my husband, he is the sexiest man alive".
Not sure if that is a good recommendation or not .... :D:D

glasgow guy 31-01-2009 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 673896)
See your lovely wife has been featured in the 'My Life' column in the Observer this week Pipinfort.

Love the answer to: "Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with"
Her answer was:"Ray Winstone because, apart from my husband, he is the sexiest man alive".
Not sure if that is a good recommendation or not .... :D:D

:eek: if pipinfort is married to my wife then theres a problem somewhere :D
and yes I have played second fiddle to 'old man winston' for years...

katex 31-01-2009 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 674146)
:eek: if pipinfort is married to my wife then theres a problem somewhere :D

:D I do apologise GG ... still any publicity as they say.

churchman phil 31-01-2009 13:07

Notice you've now got a new website too.

glasgow guy 31-01-2009 13:35

yes mate, bit of back scratching there...mrs gg done a job for someone and they offered to do the site for mrs gg by way of payment..
which is fair enough as the payment for the job was far less than what it may have cost to do the site and host it etc..
everyone was happy so..

andrewb 01-02-2009 00:47

Looks good GG. Very sharp and simple.

pipinfort 01-02-2009 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 674146)
:eek: If pipinfort is married to my wife then theres a problem somewhere :d
and yes i have played second fiddle to 'old man winston' for years...

lol.................................

glasgow guy 01-02-2009 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 674505)
lol.................................

unless pipnfort is actually 'old man ray winston himself' :eek::D... got you sussed now !

Crabby 02-02-2009 14:00

Piczo offer free hosting minimum adds good easy site builder a child could make a decent site with piczo
Piczo: Free Website Builder and Glitter, Music, Videos, Graphics, Codes, and more

have a look hopr it helps