Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Pool closure? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/pool-closure-45154.html)

garinda 25-01-2009 11:59

Pool closure?

Whilst waiting for someone on Broadway yesterday there was a newspaper hoarding at the newsagents next to Gregg's. It was from some paper called the Free Press and the headline said 'Outrage at pool closure'.

I didn't buy the paper, and can't find anything about which pool it is on the internet, anyone know anything about it?

flashy 25-01-2009 12:45

Re: Pool closure?

if its the Free Press, it will be in Rossendale

katex 25-01-2009 12:52

It's this Garinda:

Fury at Haslingden pool closure plan delays council decision (From Lancashire Telegraph)

garinda 25-01-2009 13:15

That must be it.

Thanks peeps.:)

Polly_45 25-01-2009 15:48

Its Haslingden and also Marl pits swimming pools,

shillelagh 25-01-2009 15:54

And the council deferred the decision to full council meeting in a months time.

Never said anything about it on here because its rossendale ..

jaysay 26-01-2009 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 672215)
And the council deferred the decision to full council meeting in a months time.

Never said anything about it on here because its rossendale ..

If I remember rightly Jen Rossendale Free Press isn't free you have to buy it, its the Sister Paper to The Accrington Observer. When I moved back from the Valley 23 years ago I used to get my Newsagent to get me a copy every week for quite a while then I just stopped it

garinda 26-01-2009 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 672507)
If I remember rightly Jen Rossendale Free Press isn't free you have to buy it, its the Sister Paper to The Accrington Observer. When I moved back from the Valley 23 years ago I used to get my Newsagent to get me a copy every week for quite a while then I just stopped it

That's what confused me. The headline was displayed on an Observer board, in the same type, but in Accy.

jaysay 26-01-2009 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 672515)
That's what confused me. The headline was displayed on an Observer board, in the same type, but in Accy.

Probable sent the wrong posters to the wrong town form the printers

shillelagh 26-01-2009 17:37

Ive noticed you can buy it in accy in a few of the newsagents. I know its not free - i get it every week with the accy observer!!!

flashy 26-01-2009 18:52

they sell the observer in Tesco in Blackburn, and in one or two shops around town, just the same i suppose

jaysay 27-01-2009 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 672702)
they sell the observer in Tesco in Blackburn, and in one or two shops around town, just the same i suppose

They even sell the Obs in the Royal Blackburn, when they bother to come round with the papers that is:rolleyes:

shillelagh 05-02-2009 22:06

ok theres a petition on the governments website to save the pools ... will you sign it please?

Petition to: Save swimming in the Rossendale Valley. | Number10.gov.uk

An online petition to the Prime Minister to Save swimming in the Rossendale Valley has been setup by Brendan Spencer-Hall of Bacup Swimming Club.

Rossendale Council are proposing to close two swimming pools in the Rossendale area prior to the commissioning of a new pool. This will leave the Rossendale Valley with inadequate swimming provisions for at least two years while the new pool is built. This leaves not only the majority of residents unable to access a pool but also the minority groups ie disabled, asian community and ante natal to name but a few. The pool marked for closure is the only pool with full disabled facilities and is heavily used by the disabled swimmng club as well as all other clubs and schools.

shillelagh 05-02-2009 22:15

By the way this is the latest thats going on in rossendale ...

'A set of muppets' - News - Rossendale Free Press

Councillor apologises after 'muppets' comment - News - Rossendale Free Press

Trust may face axe in leisure plan review - News - Rossendale Free Press

vicky1 11-02-2009 11:21

Just to let all you mums and dads know, Hyndburn Sports Centre pool is shut next week for maintenance work

Lilly 11-02-2009 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicky1 (Post 678369)
Just to let all you mums and dads know, Hyndburn Sports Centre pool is shut next week for maintenance work

It was a good idea to post that. :)

There are probably several on here who would have wasted time going next week with the kids only to find it was closed.

Neil 11-02-2009 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 678614)
There are probably several on here who would have wasted time going next week with the kids only to find it was closed.

What a stupid time to shut, next week is school holidays

katex 11-02-2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 678616)

Just as they were bragging about free activities, including swimming, at school holidays .. will now only be free on Saturday, 21st February.:rolleyes:

Can go to Mercer Hall at Great Harwood though free all week. :D

steeljack 11-02-2009 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 676349)
This leaves not only the majority of residents unable to access a pool but also the minority groups ie disabled, asian community and ante natal to name but a few. .

can understand the disabled and ante natel groups having separate times , but not the asian ......Does segregation exist in modern day Britain ? :confused: can you give further explanation , thanks

garinda 11-02-2009 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 678622)
Just as they were bragging about free activities, including swimming, at school holidays .. will now only be free on Saturday, 21st February.:rolleyes:

Can go to Mercer Hall at Great Harwood though free all week. :D

Absolute shambles.

Why is it closed?

If it's not because of essential maintenance, then it should be open, even more so because it's half term next week.

The 'free activities' reminds me of the free coach to the coast for pensioners. They couldn't be funded anymore, but as if by magic, just before the elections, funds suddenly appeared, only to disappear again when the elections had been forgotton.

When the Sport's Centre opened 32 years ago, it was open seven days a week 7am-10pm. The only days it closed was 25/26th December and 1st January.

Some progress.

garinda 11-02-2009 23:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 678624)
can understand the disabled and ante natel groups having separate times , but not the asian ......Does segregation exist in modern day Britain ? :confused: can you give further explanation , thanks

I quite agree. You see devout Muslim women on public beaches in head to toe bathing costumes, I don't see why a public ammenity has to be segragated, when modesty can be preserved by covering up wanton flesh by wearing an appropriate costume.

MargaretR 11-02-2009 23:43

When I took swimming lessons at the sports centre a few years ago, there were 2 asian girls in our small group. They wore thick black tights and high necked T shirts.
After the 3rd lesson they told me that they had been advised by the instructor that the Tshirts were 'unhygienic',
I don't know what they wore next time because I stopped going

garinda 11-02-2009 23:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 678649)
When I took swimming lessons at the sports centre a few years ago, there were 2 asian girls in our small group. They wore thick black tights and high necked T shirts.
After the 3rd lesson they told me that they had been advised by the instructor that the Tshirts were 'unhygienic',

See, some progress!

You used to be able to swim a mile in your old pyjamas, and they'd give you a gold medal for doing it.

:rolleyes::D

Mancie 12-02-2009 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 678649)

Ummm... thats called a swimsuit...cor blimey these asians seem to get involved with everything these days... is that the reason "they" or whoever are closing down the pool?

emamum 12-02-2009 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 678624)

the asian ladies arent allowed to be naked in the same place a man has been naked, in case they have touched it, at wavelengths in nelson the ladies night is after they have cleaned the pool and the changing rooms.They also have to put the blinds down so that men cant look in and see them uncovered, they are not allowed to wear their hijabs in the water either....

garinda 12-02-2009 10:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 678755)
the asian ladies arent allowed to be naked in the same place a man has been naked, in case they have touched it, at wavelengths in nelson the ladies night is after they have cleaned the pool and the changing rooms.They also have to put the blinds down so that men cant look in and see them uncovered, they are not allowed to wear their hijabs in the water either....

They could easily wear these, and swim with modesty intact, as they do on many public beaches in Muslim countries.

No need for separation then.

SwimWear :: Primo Moda)

emamum 12-02-2009 10:47

wow! they are gorgeous :D

still doent change the fact that undressed men have been in the area and in the water

katex 12-02-2009 10:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 678771)
They could easily wear these, and swim with modesty intact,
SwimWear*::*Primo Moda)

Wonder they can swim at all in these outfits :confused: Looks a bit restrictive for the arm movements. Besides, the pleasure of swimming is the freedom of feeling the water on bare flesh.

Don't understand why the t-shirts would be unhygienic ? Some of the instructors at the pool I go to wear one during classes. Perhaps some pools have better cleaning facilities than others ?

When I go to visit my friends in Spain, the pool at the gym insists you wear swimming caps, where they don't at mine. Tried to figure this out ... don't think it could be because of hair preparations .. think probably because their filter system is not as good for any loose hairs. Dunno' really.

Would be sad to see disabled swimmers lose their facilities for a while. See the pleasure it gives to restricted movement people ... I see people who have lost limbs, m.s. sufferers, stroke victims, injuries, arthritis and the very elderly enjoying the buoyancy that the water gives them. There is never any need for special sessions either; mind you the pools are one depth at 1.2 metres, which seems to be the trend these days.

MargaretR 12-02-2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 678755)

Do asian homes have his and her bathrooms:confused:
or do they deep clean the one after every use

garinda 12-02-2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by emamum (Post 678775)
wow! they are gorgeous :D

still doent change the fact that undressed men have been in the area and in the water

I've seen then used to swim in the sea...and I've been in there in the nuddy!:D

katex 12-02-2009 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 678782)
I've seen then used to swim in the sea...and I've been in there in the nuddy!:D

:eek: Maybe the muslim ladies perceived you in the nuddy as of little consequence .. :D

garinda 12-02-2009 15:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 678818)
:eek: Maybe the muslim ladies perceived you in the nuddy as of little consequence .. :D

I didn't mean at the same time. :p

I meant people bathe in the sea, which is really just a large pool, so what's the problem with sharing the same water at a swimming baths?

I've no beef with anyone wanting the pool to themselves, just so long as it's outside of the hours it should be open to the public, and they pay the going rate to hire it.

Lilly 12-02-2009 15:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 678616)

It's better for them to do the work on the pool whilst there are no lessons on. Swimming lessons only take place in term time and this is where they make a lot of their money.

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 678641)
Absolute shambles.

Why is it closed?

If it's not because of essential maintenance, then it should be open, even more so because it's half term next week.

The 'free activities' reminds me of the free coach to the coast for pensioners. They couldn't be funded anymore, but as if by magic, just before the elections, funds suddenly appeared, only to disappear again when the elections had been forgotton.

When the Sport's Centre opened 32 years ago, it was open seven days a week 7am-10pm. The only days it closed was 25/26th December and 1st January.

Some progress.

It's only the pool that's closed. The rest of the Sports Centre is open.

I was there yesterday. The sign said essential maintenence. I'm sure we've all heard complaints that no work has been done for a long time, now it's being done. People complain about the state when it's open then complain about it being closed for maintenence.

They can't win, can they? :confused:

katex 12-02-2009 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 678858)
I didn't mean at the same time. :p

Sorry .. LOL. Did puzzle me .... :o

Maybe they consider the salt in the sea as some sort of natural cleanser or summat ... sure they will have an explanation in defence.

Understand Lillie's point about the financial side of losing revenue from the clubs for a week, but not all children attend these clubs, and a good opportunity at holiday to take advantage of swimming. Surely more public spirited as a general service to lose a little money here.

Gobbiner 12-02-2009 16:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 678862)
It's better for them to do the work on the pool whilst there are no lessons on. Swimming lessons only take place in term time and this is where they make a lot of their money.

Both Accrington Swimming Club and Pioneers have had to cancel their lessons/training time for the week.

The pool has needed work for a long time but shutting it during the hols is a poor idea.

garinda 12-02-2009 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 678862)

It's only the pool that's closed. The rest of the Sports Centre is open.

I was there yesterday. The sign said essential maintenence. I'm sure we've all heard complaints that no work has been done for a long time, now it's being done. People complain about the state when it's open then complain about it being closed for maintenence.

They can't win, can they? :confused:

As I said, if it's 'essential maintenance' that's fair enough.

As long as they're not just cleaning the showers, and looking for any floating plasters in the water.

:D

garinda 12-02-2009 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 678871)
Sorry .. LOL. Did puzzle me .... :o

Maybe they consider the salt in the sea as some sort of natural cleanser or summat ... sure they will have an explanation in defence.

Understand Lillie's point about the financial side of losing revenue from the clubs for a week, but not all children attend these clubs, and a good opportunity at holiday to take advantage of swimming. Surely more public spirited as a general service to lose a little money here.

Yes, but if the pool's only open for Muslim women, they're still swimming in the same water that recently had men in it.

Like I said earlier if any group wants to hire the pool outside of normal opening times fair enough.

If a public ammenity is being closed to the general public in order for a minority group to use it, and aren't paying for the privilege, then that stinks, especially when there's no reason why that group couldn't swim with other members of the public.

I'd be opposed if any group were being pandered to in this way. Be they Weight Watchers, men only swimmers, or red heads.:D

katex 19-02-2009 17:11

Presume you may have seen this Shill ? Stay of execution, but only short term:-

Campaigners welcome Rossendale swimming pools rescue package (From Lancashire Telegraph)