Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   has your sky box started going into standby? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/has-your-sky-box-started-going-into-standby-45165.html)

emamum 25-01-2009 22:13

has your sky box started going into standby?

mine's started doing it by itself, thought it was dodgy but a few people have said the same thing...is anyone elses doing it?

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:18

Re: has your sky box started going into standby?

I have a box but don't pay - so only see free channels.
I ripped out the phone connection to it years ago so that they don't know I am using it - yet I have had that message a few times lately

Neil 25-01-2009 22:23

part of the recent forced firmware upgrade that sky do to your box without asking added a feature to put the box into standby. You can turn it off in the settings menu

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 672372)
part of the recent forced firmware upgrade that sky do to your box without asking added a feature to put the box into standby. You can turn it off in the settings menu

How can that be? - upgrades happen down the phone line don't they?:confused: and mine has been inacessible to them for years

Neil 25-01-2009 22:39

nope they update your box from the satellite

Polly_45 25-01-2009 22:47

I get a msg on the tv screen saying sky is about to go into standby,very annoying as you have to press back button.

MargaretR 25-01-2009 22:50

Is this some pseudo attempt at energy conservation - ie, when the programmes you have scheduled to watch are about to end, they 'switch off' for you?

Neil 25-01-2009 22:58

you can turn the standby 'feature' off in the setting menu

MargaretR 25-01-2009 23:03

Save more - unplug the ..... thing

onlyme 26-01-2009 05:34

i think its great, i'm now officially green without even trying :D

And to have a little box pop up when ive been watching the same channel for an hour or so is a minor inconvenience to the electric I'll save and me greenability lol

Neil 26-01-2009 06:42

But how much do you save? I wonder what difference it makes to power consumption?

entwisi 26-01-2009 08:10

The fact that it can shut down all the decoding stream, spin down the HD and un power the video output stages must save a fair bit. In standby at worst its got to listen for a remote action to turn on and run a timer function to record anything in the planner. I think its a good idea IMHO although for the last 6 months or so I've always made the effort to switch it to standby before going to bed.

jaysay 26-01-2009 10:06

Its been doing it on Sky+ for over two years now, I've had multi room for about six month and that has just doing it lately. when the Plus box started I thought it was going wonky until I saw the warning one night. The multi room box in the bedroom goes into standby if its switched of for any length of time

Ossywarrior 02-02-2009 20:37

lolo wait till you have sky hd and nothing ever records due to "power interuption fault" :(

ring sky up and they want £75 to try and sort it and even though i bought my own sky hd box they still tie me in for 6 months :(

Gayle 02-02-2009 20:59

Yep mine has started doing that but it was around the time they installed a new box (because the other one was going a bit wonky) and so I thought it was a feature of the new box.

cherokee 02-02-2009 23:42

yep ours does it as well.. its a pain in the backside..

jaysay 03-02-2009 03:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossywarrior (Post 675150)
lolo wait till you have sky hd and nothing ever records due to "power interuption fault" :(

ring sky up and they want £75 to try and sort it and even though i bought my own sky hd box they still tie me in for 6 months :(

Switch your sky box of at the mains, take the card out and wipe the gold spot with a tissue, wait about a minute then plug the box back in again. Mine does that occasionally, but that clears it, well it does for me

entwisi 03-02-2009 04:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee (Post 675234)
yep ours does it as well.. its a pain in the backside..

heh, so turn it off. As Neil said, its in teh settings menu. Look for "Auto power off".

Neil 03-02-2009 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 675261)
heh, so turn it off. As Neil said, its in teh settings menu. Look for "Auto power off".

after you have turned it off phone Sky and ask them why they changed the software on YOUR box without THEM asking YOU for permission.

entwisi 03-02-2009 13:33

probably teh T&Cs when you signed up for it said that they have teh right to do so if you wish to connect to 'their' service.

plus, I'm not really sure why you are so anti this? its the equivilant of system updates, fixing bugs, improving the system etc? Would you turn off all updates for your PC just because you don't like teh idea of Microsoft or anyone else doing stuff?

pipinfort 03-02-2009 13:37

I can`t say i`ve noticed ours doing it but then again i always put it on standby overnight........................

Neil 03-02-2009 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 675422)
Would you turn off all updates for your PC just because you don't like teh idea of Microsoft or anyone else doing stuff?

At least you have the choice with Windows and can remove ( most of ) them if they cause a problem or a feature you do not like.

entwisi 03-02-2009 14:56

you have a choice with Sky, its just not the 'popular' thing to do. A bit like me not wanting to run Windows so I invested time and effort in an alternative, equally I could invest time and effort in a Dreambox.

its interesting that Humax now do Sat PVRS for freesat, I wonder if there is any legal way Sky could stop them offereing the ability to use a SKy card to receive encrypted channels? Or even if a monopoly commision would 'force' Sky to release their Intellectual property so that other manufacturers could offer alternative boxes with their own features.

Neil 03-02-2009 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 675459)
equally I could invest time and effort in a Dreambox.

Not sure if the cards auto update themselves in a non Sky box.

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 675459)
I wonder if there is any legal way Sky could stop them offering the ability to use a SKY card to receive encrypted channels?

It wont come with the ability to decode NDS straight out of the box. The encryption algorithms are copyrighted so would need to be under license.

More change of you agreeing that bikes should be banned than NDS doing that :D

entwisi 03-02-2009 15:12

Bikes under 500cc should be banned IMHO :D

death traps the lot of em!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Neil 03-02-2009 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 675472)
Bikes under 500cc should be banned IMHO :D

death traps the lot of em!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

All those with seatbelts, airbags, ABS, side protection bars should still be allowed on the road if limited to 25 mph :D

entwisi 03-02-2009 15:28

best road safety improvement they could make would be a 9" spike on the steering wheel and no seatbelts. :D

That would focus people on their driving :D