Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Sky Multi Room (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/sky-multi-room-46001.html)

BERNADETTE 04-03-2009 13:49

Sky Multi Room

I pay for Sky multi room and am in dispute with them at the moment. They are trying to say that my multi room box is not connected to the phone line and are charging me quite a lot more for it. If my multi room box is turned off as it is a lot of the time would it read to them that it is not connected?:confused: If I can't sort this out I will be cancelling multi room but don't want to do that as it is handy when the grandchildren are here.

Neil 04-03-2009 14:16

Re: Sky Multi Room

What do you mean by switched off?

Is it off at the socket?

This is how it works. Sky send a signal to your Skybox. When you box feels like it it then phones sky so they know it is connected. There is no other way for Sky to know your box is connected to the phone line. It is possible that there is a fault with your box and it cannot phone sky.

If your box is switched off at the mains then it will miss the phone home signal from sky and will not phone them so they will assume it is off.

In standby sky boxes always used to leave the LNB powered up so they could recieve updates to firmware, EPG, keys and phone home commands. Not sure what standby does to a sky box these days. I suspect it still leaves the lnb powered up for the same reason.

A few years ago Sky got a lot of stick because when in standby a Sky box used almost as much power as when watching a program. The trouble is when you keep switching it off at the mains you can miss updates etc.

BERNADETTE 04-03-2009 14:21

Thanks Neil looks like my switching it off at the mains is costing me money in extra charges from Sky. You can't win really if you leave it on it costs more for electric.

Neil 04-03-2009 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 688722)
Thanks Neil looks like my switching it off at the mains is costing me money in extra charges from Sky. You can't win really if you leave it on it costs more for electric.

You need to phone them up and tell them you switch it off at the mains to save electricity. Have they told you you have to leave the box on when you are not using it? If not you need a refund from them.

emzy 04-03-2009 14:33

My sky box (standerd not multiroom) isnt connected to the phone line.......when the engineer installed it he ran a cable accross my living room into the kitchen, plugged it into the phone line, did a few things then unplugged it and left it at that. Other that the initial installation its never been connected to the phone line :confused:

BERNADETTE 04-03-2009 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 688726)
You need to phone them up and tell them you switch it off at the mains to save electricity. Have they told you you have to leave the box on when you are not using it? If not you need a refund from them.

They have been told but still charged me on my latest bill. Will ring them again but if I can't resolve it I might get a free view box and cancel the multi room.

entwisi 04-03-2009 15:08

or just turn teh card into a freesat from sky card for 20 quid, much easier

emzy 04-03-2009 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 688750)
or just turn teh card into a freesat from sky card for 20 quid, much easier

How do you do that?

(sorry for the hijack bernadette :o)

jaysay 04-03-2009 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 688742)
They have been told but still charged me on my latest bill. Will ring them again but if I can't resolve it I might get a free view box and cancel the multi room.

How long have you had multi room Bernie, I had it instaled in July last year and the contract says that you have to be conected to the Phone line for twelve months

Neil 04-03-2009 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by emzy (Post 688753)
How do you do that?

(sorry for the hijack bernadette :o)

I mentioned it the other day in this post http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/688422-post23.html

mattylad 04-03-2009 17:08

If you turn it on & ring them up they will do the check there & then.

Then you should be free to turn it off.

They are also required to write to you before charging you for this.
Ring them up, get them to do the check then give you a refund.

If they refuse ask to be put through to "retentions" discuss this & suggest that your not happy & you wish to leave.

Chances are they will kiss your backside to keep you paying :D

Sky User is a good forum for sky problems.

Neil 04-03-2009 17:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 688790)
If you turn it on & ring them up they will do the check there & then.

Then you should be free to turn it off.

I don't see why. The whole idea is to make sure the multiroom box is at your house and not somebody elses as you pay less for the multiroom box than for the same package on its own.

A good con is to put the multiroom box in next door and run a phone line to plug it in. You can both split the cost of the total price and both save money :eek::D:D

panther 04-03-2009 17:38

Is this only for the multiroom to have your skybox plugged in?, because i have just 1 box in the living room and have had sky digital from the very first day it came on, and i have NEVER had it plugged in the phone line!
A con if ya ask me.
The reason i dont have it plugged in the phone line is because then the kids dont accidently 'go online'

BERNADETTE 04-03-2009 17:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 688768)
How long have you had multi room Bernie, I had it instaled in July last year and the contract says that you have to be conected to the Phone line for twelve months

Ian had it put in November 2007, it is because I turn it off at the mains. Have already told them this so hoping to get the extra money refunded. Will see what they say.

Neil 04-03-2009 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 688799)
Is this only for the multiroom to have your skybox plugged in?, because i have just 1 box in the living room and have had sky digital from the very first day it came on, and i have NEVER had it plugged in the phone line!
A con if ya ask me.
The reason i dont have it plugged in the phone line is because then the kids dont accidently 'go online'

When Sky digital first came out it was part of the agreement to get the box at a subsidised price.