Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Lemon curd, lemon cheese (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/lemon-curd-lemon-cheese-46639.html)

planetsusie 02-04-2009 09:10

Lemon curd, lemon cheese

had a discussion with someone about them being different.
I think they definately are
and...
Who makes the best lemon cheese beside my mum like?

entwisi 02-04-2009 09:12

Re: Lemon curd, lemon cheese

me....

:D

planetsusie 02-04-2009 09:49

hmmm...maybe we should make this a taste test challenge...

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2009 10:03

Yes, they are different....and I don't know anyone who makes their own lemon chesse these days......heck folk raise their eyebrows when you say you make your own pastry.

MargaretR 02-04-2009 10:16

My mum made lemon cheese in the late 40s and 50s. I recall it needs eggs.
I don't think there are eggs in lemon curd.

entwisi 02-04-2009 10:38

heh, I went ballistic at teh lads at work because they were talking about buying ready made pancakes.... :D

jaysay 02-04-2009 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 699471)
Yes, they are different....and I don't know anyone who makes their own lemon chesse these days......heck folk raise their eyebrows when you say you make your own pastry.

My other half has to Margaret, she's a celiac and makes some great cakes, etcetera, I try them just for research purposes only:rolleyes:

Margaret Pilkington 02-04-2009 12:04

I like to hear that pepole still do make things like this......I do think that home made /home cooked food does taste better.......and sometimes it doesn't work out more expensive....but I reckon that home made lemon cheese would be more expensive, but then if it tastes good, I suppose it is worth it,

I tend to buy that kind of stuff when we visit farmers markets, but it is very hit and miss. Sometimes the produce is lovely but then a few times I have been disappointed.

Lilly 02-04-2009 14:55

I always thought that lemon curd and lemon cheese were the same thing.

I love it on toast. :)

mallard 02-04-2009 15:21

that was one thing i never like,t but i would eat things that you would not like some thing called blackpudding .

jaysay 02-04-2009 16:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 699589)
that was one thing i never like,t but i would eat things that you would not like some thing called blackpudding .

Nout wrong with blackpudding mallard, love it, Haggis is even better, its great on a morning fry up:D

jimmi5bellies 02-04-2009 18:04

Lemon cheese is too die for. You can buy it from ASDA and it is locally produced. It is expensive though about £1.40 a jar.

katex 02-04-2009 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 699580)
I always thought that lemon curd and lemon cheese were the same thing.

I love it on toast. :)

Yes, I could never sort out the difference either Lilly. I love it on hot cross buns.

Actually, on request, am going to make some this weekend, used to make it regularly years ago, and have had to go into my mum's recipe book she wrote out for my bottom drawer. (wonder if anyone has one now ?)

3/4 lb granulated sugar.
6 ozs. butter
4 eggs.
3 lemons.

Melt butter in pan, add sugar, grated lemon rind and lemon juice. See that your sugar is thoroughly dissolved, then add well beaten eggs and keep stirring 'till mixture thickens. Pour into warm jars and cover whilst still warm.

Recommends to be made in double pan ... now this is my conundrum .. can't quite remember whether I had a double pan, and brother seems to have thrown my mums out. Think I used to make it in a single pan, but taking care to do things gently, otherwise could finish up with scrambled eggs. Makes about 2 - 1 lb jars (metric conversion available on request)

All recipes are similar, just varying amounts of the ingredients. Really easy and just love the fresh tang of the lemons. Eeeew, can't wait now.

planetsusie 02-04-2009 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 699642)
Yes, I could never sort out the difference either Lilly. I love it on hot cross buns.

Actually, on request, am going to make some this weekend, used to make it regularly years ago, and have had to go into my mum's recipe book she wrote out for my bottom drawer. (wonder if anyone has one now ?)

3/4 lb granulated sugar.
6 ozs. butter
4 eggs.
3 lemons.

Melt butter in pan, add sugar, grated lemon rind and lemon juice. See that your sugar is thoroughly dissolved, then add well beaten eggs and keep stirring 'till mixture thickens. Pour into warm jars and cover whilst still warm.

Recommends to be made in double pan ... now this is my conundrum .. can't quite remember whether I had a double pan, and brother seems to have thrown my mums out. Think I used to make it in a single pan, but taking care to do things gently, otherwise could finish up with scrambled eggs. Makes about 2 - 1 lb jars (metric conversion available on request)

All recipes are similar, just varying amounts of the ingredients. Really easy and just love the fresh tang of the lemons. Eeeew, can't wait now.

Bet my mum makes it better like.

katex 02-04-2009 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetsusie (Post 699650)
Bet my mum makes it better like.

:tongueout .... About the same I reckon ... :D