Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   is "sign language" international ? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/is-sign-language-international-47570.html)

steeljack 24-05-2009 05:09

is "sign language" international ?

OK , without sounding crass or insensitive , does anyone know if 'sign language' is international , e.g. can an English sign user communicate with say a French , Italian , Arabic or Chinese sign user , or are the 'sign languages' different ?
completly innocent question , no other motives , just something I am completly ignorant about , It was something I noticed when at the Airport earlier today and 'saw' some 'interaction ' between two different groups , one American and the other a group arriving on an international flight .
Thanks

south aussie 24-05-2009 05:19

Re: is "sign language" international ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 716186)
OK , without sounding crass or insensitive , does anyone know if 'sign language' is international , e.g. can an English sign user communicate with say a French , Italian , Arabic or Chinese sign user , or are the 'sign languages' different ?
completly innocent question , no other motives , just something I am completly ignorant about , It was something I noticed when at the Airport earlier today and 'saw' some 'interaction ' between two different groups , one American and the other a group arriving on an international flight .
Thanks

i THINK THE OLD TWO FINGER SALUTE IS PRETTY MUCH INTERNATIONAL

steeljack 24-05-2009 05:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 716187)
i THINK THE OLD TWO FINGER SALUTE IS PRETTY MUCH INTERNATIONAL

so much for Australia being culturaly sensitive ...:D :D

south aussie 24-05-2009 05:34

What about 1 finger

mrprvaughan 24-05-2009 05:50

Sign language differs from country to country just like a spoken language. Believe it or not, even though the americans speak a certain form of english the sign language is different! English sign uses two hands and american uses one. I'm sure though that there are certain signs that are understood worldwide...

derekgas 24-05-2009 08:57

What a good question! I too am ignorant to this, i would have thought signing was different because some of the english sign language 'shape' the letters or words, but had never considered it as a fact.

jaysay 24-05-2009 09:24

My other halves Daughter-in-law is learning sign language wit here job working with children with learning difficulties

West Ender 24-05-2009 19:49

I don't know about official sign language but you have to be careful with gestures. Never shake your fist in front of a Greek and don't give an Arab a thumbs up sign. I've heard that our "it's great" sign, thumb and forefinger into a circle and the other fingers held up, means something extremely rude around the Med too.

accyman 24-05-2009 22:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by south aussie (Post 716189)
What about 1 finger

most women can manage at least two before their feelings are hurt