Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Mudgards (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/mudgards-47733.html)

West Ender 04-06-2009 22:48

Mudgards

I often see cyclists, when it's wet, with mud splashed all over their legs and backs. Why don't bikes have mudgards any more? Even kids' bikes seem to be without them, my granddaughter is now on her 3rd bike and none has had them.

flashy 04-06-2009 22:51

Re: Mudgards

i've had a couple of mountain bikes over the last few years and none of them have had them.....havent a clue why

Ossywarrior 04-06-2009 23:27

some bikes come with crud cather fixings for the front but mine doesnt and it would be difficult to fix a front mudguard, plus half the fun of the kind of riding i do is getting covered in mud :D

accyman 05-06-2009 01:09

probably not there anymore because even when they were they were useless

mattylad 05-06-2009 08:15

I have mudguards on my MTB, they are available as an accessory & do work when of the correct size.

Linky

jaysay 05-06-2009 09:33

Re: Mudguards

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ossywarrior (Post 718937)
some bikes come with crud cather fixings for the front but mine doesnt and it would be difficult to fix a front mudguard, plus half the fun of the kind of riding i do is getting covered in mud :D

So if I see a cyclist riding past my gaff, covered in mud with flies stuck to their teeth It'll be you then Ossywarrior:D

Ossywarrior 05-06-2009 17:40

yeah thats me normally, there is a pic on facebook of my face covered in mud and horse poo :D

glasgow guy 05-06-2009 20:48

mudguards are for wimps! -
theres nothing better than flying down a hill getting splattered in mud or going through puddles and getting a bit wet...
I spent £1300 on my bike and its not having a mudguard on it! and for the record I dont have any reflectors or a bell either on my bike...and before anyone starts - I already know I am going to the big bad fire !
so save your 'an inconsiderate cyclist' posts for someone else...;)

Ossywarrior 05-06-2009 21:00

mine was 1100 :D u got a full sus or a hardcore hardtail :D

wadey 05-06-2009 21:44

I spent £1300 on my bike and its not having a mudguard on it! and for the record I dont have any reflectors or a bell either on my bike...2
What you need is a fully enclosed chain guard and a nice wicker basket on the front for your shopping

Ossywarrior 05-06-2009 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadey (Post 719124)
I spent £1300 on my bike and its not having a mudguard on it! and for the record I dont have any reflectors or a bell either on my bike...2
What you need is a fully enclosed chain guard and a nice wicker basket on the front for your shopping

that is pimp

mattylad 07-06-2009 15:49

Not to forget the carrier on the back, the dynamo & twin headlights.

Pump, padlock, gel seat & rear panniers.

Cant go without them, where else would you put your reflective belt, maps, repair kit etc when out cycling.
The panniers are also useful for storing your rain mac/poncho :D

If your really clever you can even wire up some indicators to the back ..

glasgow guy 07-06-2009 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 719491)
Not to forget the carrier on the back, the dynamo & twin headlights.

Pump, padlock, gel seat & rear panniers.

Cant go without them, where else would you put your reflective belt, maps, repair kit etc when out cycling.
The panniers are also useful for storing your rain mac/poncho :D

If your really clever you can even wire up some indicators to the back ..

:D
if you really really clever you would have gprs on your bike and bin the old maps..
and dynamos are banned now..

mattylad 08-06-2009 07:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasgow guy (Post 719561)
dynamos are banned now..

Is that bit jest too?
I still have one in the cellar... lol

glasgow guy 09-06-2009 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattylad (Post 719588)
Is that bit jest too?
I still have one in the cellar... lol

nope its true -
if you think about it for a minute - its your pedalling that makes the light work, so you pedalling at night and your going slow cos you tired etc.. so your light aint going to be that bright - more of a dim ?, car doesnt see you - goodnight for you and off to the hospital (if your lucky) you go...
they are not safe at all.