Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Knowlemere Street dance (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/knowlemere-street-dance-52154.html)

littlepom 08-03-2010 08:55

Knowlemere Street dance

Can anyone tell me is the dance place on Knowlemere Street still there, or do I have pipe dreams and fond memories.
Littlepom

accyman 08-03-2010 09:26

Re: Knowlemere Street dance

no its now a storage room for an electronics company but it could have been a lot worse

plans were put forward to turn it into a mosque but the nice lady who bought the rosette company attatched to it also purchased the dance hall putting an end to the plans for a mosque

used to live 30 feet away from the place

used to go there as a kid for the kids disco lol

MargaretR 08-03-2010 09:33

I went there for lessons in ballroom dancing on sunday afternoons.
The place always smelt strongly of cat pee.

Barrie Yates 08-03-2010 13:42

Don't remember the smell of cat pee in the mid/late '50s and I spent a lot of time there, on Saturday nights - as one lady on here will remember:-)

bondi38 08-03-2010 14:22

Hiya so did i them were the good old days John Taylor had it when i used to go do you remember him .

Barrie Yates 08-03-2010 15:03

Come on Bondi, I was too interested in the girls too remember bloke's names :-):

Barrie Yates 08-03-2010 19:42

ADMIN HELP !!!!!!!!
The original poster - "littlepom" has received a PM on this thread from "Symbiosis" and the thread seems to have disappeared and the PM appeared to be a little strange. Pklease would you investigate.

MargaretR 08-03-2010 19:43

The cat pee smell was when a chap named Cliff (I think) ran it.

Uncle Mick 08-03-2010 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bondi38 (Post 795289)
Hiya so did i them were the good old days John Taylor had it when i used to go do you remember him .

John still teaches dance and is an examiner and travels all over the world judging and he`s a thoroughly nice chap!

Margaret Pilkington 08-03-2010 21:16

I used to try to go there, but my mother thought it was a den of iniquity, and threatened me with all kinds of disasters if it was found that I had visited.

All the 'bad' girls at my school used to go there on a Saturday Night....they made it sound very attractive.....but alas, I never made it there or to Joe Mort's either(another place mother warned me off).

katex 08-03-2010 23:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 795387)
The cat pee smell was when a chap named Cliff (I think) ran it.

Wasn't urine waste Margaret ... 'twas that bloody awful 'pilot' deodorant (not antiperspirant) .. hek, can't remember its name, was in a lilac container and supposed to smell of lavender/parma violets, but did smell of cat pee.

Funny, in a dance hall you had your favourite spot to stand ... mine was on the left hand wall as you walked in at that little paying window. The boys always seemed to stand diagonally to this ... :D

ossy kid 09-03-2010 03:41

Great times Saturday nights late 50s. Don,t remember any bad smell though, probably because of the brilliantine?sp? Like a very smelly brylcreme.

littlepom 09-03-2010 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 795408)
I used to try to go there, but my mother thought it was a den of iniquity, and threatened me with all kinds of disasters if it was found that I had visited.

All the 'bad' girls at my school used to go there on a Saturday Night....they made it sound very attractive.....but alas, I never made it there or to Joe Mort's either(another place mother warned me off).

Don't think we were "BAD" maybe a bit adventurous. My dad was the same about Joe Morts but still I sneaked out and went there. Of course he did know. But loved Knowlemere St with all my friends. I wonder how many are still around. 1955/56/57/58
Come on where are you all.
Littlepom

Barrie Yates 09-03-2010 21:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by littlepom (Post 795700)
Don't think we were "BAD" maybe a bit adventurous. My dad was the same about Joe Morts but still I sneaked out and went there. Of course he did know. But loved Knowlemere St with all my friends. I wonder how many are still around. 1955/56/57/58
Come on where are you all.
Littlepom

You know where some are - one in parrticular :-)

littlepom 10-03-2010 11:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 795702)
You know where some are - one in parrticular :-)

wonder who that could be.