Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Adrian Shurmer book (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/adrian-shurmer-book-53884.html)

John Flanagan 07-07-2010 05:46

Adrian Shurmer book

In my project to draw a new map of Accy town centre I've come across Adrian Shurmer who produced some street guides. Does anyone know where I can buy a copy of his book?

Mick 07-07-2010 05:52

Re: Adrian Shurmer book

You could try the tourist information center at the town hall or the library
I used to have a copy but no idea where it is now if i find it you can have it.

jaysay 07-07-2010 09:32

I've still got one, but I still use mine for reference, why not give Adrian a bell I think his names in the TD, I'm sure he will help and even give you some hints

wadey 07-07-2010 11:10

Wasn't he a councillor for a while?

Retlaw 07-07-2010 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 826890)
I've still got one, but I still use mine for reference, why not give Adrian a bell I think his names in the TD, I'm sure he will help and even give you some hints

Adrian made a lot of deliberate mistakes in his maps, which unless you know the area would'nt spot, he caught several people who used his maps without permission.

Retlaw.

MargaretR 07-07-2010 12:31

I can't see what use Shurmers book would be now.
Google maps is now more use.

jaysay 07-07-2010 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 826928)
Adrian made a lot of deliberate mistakes in his maps, which unless you know the area would'nt spot, he caught several people who used his maps without permission.

Retlaw.

Ya I know Walter, he once showed me a couple to illustrate, a little rascal was our Adrian:D

John Flanagan 07-07-2010 14:55

Many thanks for the info on the book as I will be near the tourist office on Friday.

He deliberately made mistakes that only locals would know - that's interesting - perhaps there should be a little mistake in the new map I'm creating as a sort of homage to Adrian. Any other ideas like this that should be included in the map?

Retlaw 07-07-2010 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flanagan (Post 826944)
Many thanks for the info on the book as I will be near the tourist office on Friday.

He deliberately made mistakes that only locals would know - that's interesting - perhaps there should be a little mistake in the new map I'm creating as a sort of homage to Adrian. Any other ideas like this that should be included in the map?

If you are going to have an updated map of Accrington published, as well as deliberate mistakes, have it water marked in several places.
Its surprising how many will rip of parts of your map to promote their businesses on web sites and in advertisement, thats how Adrian caught them.
Retlaw.

John Flanagan 08-07-2010 22:20

I was collecting some printing from Lancs Print and Steve asked me what I was doing over the weekend! I gave him one of the balloons. Remarkably he mentioned Shurmer and that many, many years ago they'd printed some maps and they might still be in the archives. How about that! I hope this project brings up more coincidences like that.

So, if you're in town on Saturday morning, come and have a talk with me about creating a new map for the town centre. I don't think you'll miss me or the others and please fill in our questionnaire.

Less 09-07-2010 06:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 826991)
If you are going to have an updated map of Accrington published, as well as deliberate mistakes, have it water marked in several places.
Its surprising how many will rip of parts of your map to promote their businesses on web sites and in advertisement, thats how Adrian caught them.
Retlaw.

I can understand the watermarks far more than 'deliberate mistakes', a map is supposed to be of help not to cause confusion for the user. If the map has anything other than accidental mistakes then I would think it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Still in these days of the Sat Nav, who needs a creased piece of fold-able paper to get confused?
:o

jaysay 09-07-2010 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 827301)
I can understand the watermarks far more than 'deliberate mistakes', a map is supposed to be of help not to cause confusion for the user. If the map has anything other than accidental mistakes then I would think it isn't worth the paper it's printed on.
Still in these days of the Sat Nav, who needs a creased piece of fold-able paper to get confused?
:o

Doubt if you need either to get to the Railway Less:D:p

katex 09-07-2010 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 826930)
I can't see what use Shurmers book would be now.
Google maps is now more use.

I still use it quite a lot Margaret, even though it is 1988 and some areas may need modification. I find it easy to use and quicker than google.. very simplistic and love the pretty colours.. :DAlso, little tit bits of history in there and enjoy browsing through the adverts and the memories of the people that were associated with such groups as Girl Guides, swimming, camera clubs, etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 826928)

Retlaw.

Yes, I have found one or two errors Retlaw .... didn't realise they were deliberate ... more like omissions though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flanagan (Post 827276)
I was collecting some printing from Lancs Print and Steve asked me what I was doing over the weekend! I gave him one of the balloons. Remarkably he mentioned Shurmer and that many, many years ago they'd printed some maps and they might still be in the archives. How about that! I hope this project brings up more coincidences like that.

According to the information, Shurmer's Guide was printed by Daltons.

Retlaw 09-07-2010 19:12

Yes, I have found one or two errors Retlaw .... didn't realise they were deliberate ... more like omissions though.

Those streets (which didn't exist) were added deliberately to catch plagarists, he caught quite a few, including HBC.
It was in the observer some years back.
Retlaw

jaysay 09-07-2010 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 827458)

Those streets (which didn't exist) were added deliberately to catch plagarists, he caught quite a few, including HBC.
It was in the observer some years back.
Retlaw

Weren't one of the streets he invented up Belthorn Walter