Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Wolstenholme's elephant? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/wolstenholmes-elephant-5441.html)

WillowTheWhisp 02-09-2004 14:09

Wolstenholme's elephant?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darby
Ahhhh...The monty python area...Isn't that at the bottom of Willows Lane :eek: :eek:

There's definitely something at the bottom of Willows Lane Darby!

In front of Wolstenholme's Funeral Parlour there is a sort of glass gazebo which has housed floral arrangements in the past. There now seem to be several chickens, a fox and other small creatures plus what appears to be an elephant under a cloth. (life size baby elephant)

Can anyone enlighten me?

pendy 02-09-2004 16:42

Re: Wolstenholme's elephant?

Are you sure there's not a python? They blend in well, you know.

WillowTheWhisp 02-09-2004 17:53

For all I know there could be a python under that cover. All you can see is the back end of the elephant (ie bum and tail)

Roy 02-09-2004 19:40

It is an elephant.. I've been driving past there quite a lot lately. During the day it is uncovered and in the evening they cover it up for the night! :) Quite good of them really...

mrskitty 03-09-2004 12:20

Are they slowly morphing from a funeral parlour into a taxidermist's????????

mez 03-09-2004 12:23

yep your right roy it is an elephant, i saw it to-day & yes theres cockerals & various other stuffed animals in there, was wondering if he' doing funerals for animals too //

pendy 03-09-2004 12:24

Well, there's a fine line between embalming and taxidermy you know ....

WillowTheWhisp 03-09-2004 13:11

I have just been past this morning and saw the elephant without its cloth cover. I find it even more puzzling that they cover it up at night and uncover it during the day. I'm tempted to phone them up and ask but I feel like I would probably sound stupid. "Scuse me, why have you got an elephant and several chickens in your gazebo?"

pendy 03-09-2004 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I have just been past this morning and saw the elephant without its cloth cover. I find it even more puzzling that they cover it up at night and uncover it during the day. I'm tempted to phone them up and ask but I feel like I would probably sound stupid. "Scuse me, why have you got an elephant and several chickens in your gazebo?"

No problem. Tell them you are a researcher from the University of Central Lancashire and you are writing a thesis on "the social implications of domesticated and undomesticated wildlife in a bereavement setting: - costs and benefits, a wider appreciation". They'll open up like nobody's business. I guarantee, if you tell people you are writing a thesis, they will tell you the most amazing personal details, and I mean amazing. Retirement plan no. 2 is to write a book about it.

Atarah 03-09-2004 23:09

Oh please can we all see? Anyone able to take a piccy please?

WillowTheWhisp 04-09-2004 10:40

I never thought of that! I'll try to pop down there again later today, germs permitting.

WillowTheWhisp 04-09-2004 15:53

5 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately the elephant was covered this afternoon.

Considering I'd dragged my poor germ ridden coughing, sneezing and sniffling self down the road to take a photo of it I wasn't going to be deterred - Ok, I know you can't see much but hopefully on Monday it will be uncovered and I'll take another one.

Unfortunately the last one is full of reflections in the glass.

Doug 04-09-2004 16:15

Thank you willow...............Taking your condition into account I appreciate the effort even more, you good un. Has for you cold, that’s carnforth for you, told you should have taken a duffel Coat and you heavy duty underwear...

WillowTheWhisp 04-09-2004 16:36

:)It wasn't so much Carnforth as the Sunday evening Light & Water Festival in Morecambe! It poured with rain!!!!!

steveo 04-09-2004 16:44

well they cant put bodys in the window.so animals will have to do