Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accy nori? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accy-nori-56937.html)

jaysay 23-02-2011 10:11

Re: Accy nori?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 886383)
Had to drill dozens of Noris in Prestige Group Boiler Room - the braze holding the carbide tips in the Masonmaster drill bits kept melting. I was threatened I would have to finish the job with a Rawldrill & hammer if I ruined any more drill bits:eek::eek:

That's what I used to frighten my happyrentice with Barrie, if you don't pull your finger out you'll drill those accy eng brick with a star drill:Dworked every time:rolleyes:

cashman 23-02-2011 10:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886366)
Drill them, what a fools game that was:eek::eek::eek::D

so i take it yeh tried?:D

DaveinGermany 23-02-2011 10:58

Jingle, caper, jingle, caper, prithee Sire ! :D

Barrie Yates 23-02-2011 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 886433)
Jingle, caper, jingle, caper, prithee Sire ! :D

You been at the Apfelkorn again?:eek:;):D

garinda 23-02-2011 14:41

Is it true that if you soak one in Coca-Cola overnight, it will have completely dissolved by the morning?

Or is that a hen's tooth?

heth 23-02-2011 14:55

No it becomes shiny G ;)

accyman 23-02-2011 15:36

Quote:

the first time i drilled a wall made from nori's i wondered what all the fuss was about...

until my sencong attempt at drilling a hole didnt go through the cement and actualy hiut the brick.

thats when the makita hammer drill came out of retirement as i burned the black and decker out lol

Neil 23-02-2011 15:44

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

They drill easy enough, these days we dont use star drills and a hammer like when you were a lad :p

jaysay 23-02-2011 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 886502)
They drill easy enough, these days we dont use star drills and a hammer like when you were a lad :p

That pic looks like the long stand I was sent to pick up from Bridges on Church Street, when I was serving my time:D

Retlaw 23-02-2011 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 886531)
That pic looks like the long stand I was sent to pick up from Bridges on Church Street, when I was serving my time:D

Bet you got the long rest as well.:D:D:D:tongueout:tongueout

Retlaw.

DaveinGermany 23-02-2011 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 886482)
You been at the Apfelkorn again?:eek:;):D

Not today Barrie :) The words I used were the attributes for signifying a fool (Court Jester) :D

My word ! Doth he not caper & jingle that fine fellow the fool in service of his liege!

Gordon Booth 24-02-2011 20:50

As I remember, 'U' value was how well or how badly a material transfers heat. A wooden handle on a hot pan transfers badly(so keeps cool), a metal handle-ouch. It was nothing to do with water resistance. Nori bricks are so dense they would transmit heat badly and I would guess they are waterproof also.I think 'U' values were used for engineering and building materials.e.g how well would a house wall keep heat in.
Nori- the only brick that needed a new masonary drill for each hole!

Gordon Booth 24-02-2011 21:10

Google it-Coefficient of Thermal Conductivity. i.e how well does a material conduct heat.
Expected conductivity of a brick wall-0.77W/M-K. Don't ask me to explain that(can't remember) but the lower the number the better. I would imagine Nori is lower than that but if you need to use a number quote 0.77.
Why on earth do you need to know? Just interested.

duggie 24-02-2011 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdonh (Post 885928)
Does anyone know the U-value of Accy Nori bricks, i have been on google and ask, but they keep coming up with the same answers

U value or K value ( Watt per hour lost etc) is a measure of how much heat is transfered through a certain material, a pilkington K glass unit as a U value of 1.5, a standard douvle glazed unit is about 2.6, the lower the number the better, a single brick will be poor, a modern house is built with an insulated cavity wall and the u value would be approx 0.25, hope this helps.
A nine inch solid wall would be approx 2.00

Tealeaf 24-02-2011 22:44

So that explains why people build their houses of wood in places like Canada and Siberia.