Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Dead ants ???? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/dead-ants-58792.html)

emzy 05-08-2011 07:53

Dead ants ????

I got up this morning, went in the kitchen and though "oh great, whats the dog been at" as there were loads of little black things on the floor near the back door. I just thought it was something the dog had been at, like maybe a t-bag or whatever but on closer inspection these were infact 100's (and that is no exageration) of dead ants. Now i know ive complained about an ant problem before but these were all live, does anyone have an explanation as to why my kitchen floor turned into an ant graveyard over night?? Im quite confused by it. Any one any ideas????

DaveinGermany 05-08-2011 17:18

Re: Dead ants ????

I think it may be the result after a "swarm". Winged ants fly off to form new colonies & the old workers die off, that's just my assumption though, really you'd need to look at some wildlife/nature sites to get a better insight.

emzy 05-08-2011 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 923681)
I think it may be the result after a "swarm". Winged ants fly off to form new colonies & the old workers die off, that's just my assumption though, really you'd need to look at some wildlife/nature sites to get a better insight.

I'd prefer it if they didnt choose my kitchen to die off in though :( there was hundreds, it wasnt nice lol x

flashy 05-08-2011 17:50

Those winged ants are horrible, they are everywhere at the moment, everywhere you go they are in your face and all over the ground

garinda 05-08-2011 18:17

As my old Granny used to say...

Dead ants in t'mornin', means new pants, and moaning.

garinda 05-08-2011 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 923687)
Those winged ants are horrible, they are everywhere at the moment, everywhere you go they are in your face and all over the ground

Are you sure you're washing off properly, that new sugar body rub I bought you?

emzy 05-08-2011 18:45

Well just cleaned another 50+ from my kitchen floor, even caught 2 larger live ones bringing out their dead, not impressed lol. Ive been here almost 4 years and not had this happen before :(

flashy 05-08-2011 18:49

Ring the council Em, tell them you have the boys and you are worried they might put them in their mouths (i know they wouldn't but the council don't know that) thhey might send some sort of exterminater round

emzy 05-08-2011 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 923710)
Ring the council Em, tell them you have the boys and you are worried they might put them in their mouths (i know they wouldn't but the council don't know that) thhey might send some sort of exterminater round

Environmental health arnt open until monday morning. Twice ive bleached my floor now :( its making me itch lol not good x

Tealeaf 05-08-2011 19:02

It would appear that you lot know less about the life cycle and breeding habits of British ants than the Accy Observer knows about the indigenous squirrel population. On page 27 of this weeks edition- the pull-out, titled ''Its all yours', - has a piccy of a squirrel in someone's back garden. The AO - in all it's majestic wisdom - describes this as a Red Squirrel.

Even someone with the brain of a dead ant would know that a) there ain't no red squirrels within 35 miles of Accy and b) the picture is of course, of a Grey Squirrel.

Just how much worse is this newspaper going to get?

flashy 05-08-2011 19:35

And the point of that childish outburst was what teabag?
It was neither constructive nor relevant

emzy 05-08-2011 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 923712)
It would appear that you lot know less about the life cycle and breeding habits of British ants than the Accy Observer knows about the indigenous squirrel population. On page 27 of this weeks edition- the pull-out, titled ''Its all yours', - has a piccy of a squirrel in someone's back garden. The AO - in all it's majestic wisdom - describes this as a Red Squirrel.

Even someone with the brain of a dead ant would know that a) there ain't no red squirrels within 35 miles of Accy and b) the picture is of course, of a Grey Squirrel.

Just how much worse is this newspaper going to get?

Obviously i know very little about the breeding habbits of british ants, have openly admitted that by asking for advice / explanation on a public forum. Its not something that was part of the national curriculum when I was at school and cant say its something that I have studied since. If you dont ask you never know, right??????

flashy 05-08-2011 20:09

Ignore him Em, he's an obnoxious little runt whose only aim in life is to attempt to wind people up, he's full of hot air

Tealeaf 05-08-2011 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 923717)
And the point of that childish outburst was what teabag?
It was neither constructive nor relevant

The point, Ms Flashy, was in answer to the final sentance in the very first post in this thread - 'Any one any ideas?'

It is pretty obvious that few people who subscribe to this website and probably even fewer who write for the local rag know little about the wonderful world of nature. Given that Accy Web is probably represenative of the local populace, then there's more than one who claim to be cat lovers on here ( personally I'd string that lot up) and there's even a few who claim to be dog lovers - although after what happened at the local RSPCA centre a few days ago, that's got to be a joke.

So then:

a) Go elsewhere for advice on your ant investation.

b) And certainly don't bother with the AO about animals and insects.

Could I respectfully suggest you now depart ASAP to Wetherspoons for your friday night ration of alcopops and then, after a good sleep-in, come back on here tomorrow afternoon in the cold light of day?

flashy 05-08-2011 21:11

he has proved me right....full of hot air

thankyou ever so much teabag, now i'm sure it's past your bedtime, don't forget to have a wee before you settle down for the night, wouldn't want your carer to have to clear up any little accidents that happen during the night