Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   bakeries in hyndburn during the seventies (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/bakeries-in-hyndburn-during-the-seventies-61761.html)

dawnie 23-06-2012 16:19

bakeries in hyndburn during the seventies

in the 70's my grandma took me to a shop with a bakery at the back.you could go down some steps to get to the bakery at the back.two women worked there kneeding bread etc where was this does anyone remember 1970's bakeries cake shops in accy or clayton mid 70's era ????

Lost in Cornwall 24-06-2012 08:32

Re: bakeries in hyndburn during the seventies

Could have been Hope's in Pickup Street, Clayton. Would have been a few years earlier than that but I can remember my mother going in there for yeast and her being sent through to the bakehouse at the back to get it.

maxthecollie 24-06-2012 12:24

There used to be a cracking little bakery on Pickup Street Accrington across from Rists Wires.we use to buy our pies there.

egg&chips 24-06-2012 12:59

Are we talking about Bridges' Max? Pasties and meet pies were very good, but I would kill to get one of their Savoys at the moment.

maxthecollie 24-06-2012 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 999486)
Are we talking about Bridges' Max? Pasties and meet pies were very good, but I would kill to get one of their Savoys at the moment.

I dont know what is was called, but it was worth the trip from the factory bottom where we lived to go there.

dawnie 24-06-2012 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall (Post 999405)
Could have been Hope's in Pickup Street, Clayton. Would have been a few years earlier than that but I can remember my mother going in there for yeast and her being sent through to the bakehouse at the back to get it.

i am related to the roe family that lived on barnes st so it would have been that bakery im sure as i was only a toddler and wouldnt have walked far with my grandma ivy roe so thank you so much where would i find pictures of it back then??

ToffeeGuy 24-06-2012 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 999477)
There used to be a cracking little bakery on Pickup Street Accrington across from Rists Wires.we use to buy our pies there.

Still there. Although it looks empty most of the time.

I prefered Kenyons on Broadway. Their Maccaroni Cheese was the best.

entwisi 25-06-2012 07:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 999486)

It was Bridges and its still there under different management but TBH its a pale shadow of its former self... My mum lived on Elizabeth St till 18 months ago and she wouldn't go in for the last 2-3 years as it had gone so far down hill..

As a nipper back in the 70's I remember being sent for a fig square ( which wasn't square!) for pudding on more than one occasion and we used to get our loaves there.
Then there was the corner shop on Exchange Street (Pats) where we got to spend our pennies on sweets and or go for whatever ingredients Mum needed for tea. She used to run tick so you could pay at the end of the week... I can't ever see Tesco doing that :D

There was "Vivo" which was at the bottom of Eddleston street(always had a weird smell that shop which I can still bring to mind), the paper shop next door(next in line when it came to sweets, more choice but usually more expensive!), the "post Office" (which wasn't a post office any more but was always referred to as such) on the corner of Lonsdale and Charter st. There was also a small veg shop on the bottom by what was then a roundabout but is now just an island( and a hairdressers next door?). Takeaways consisted of the Chinese at the top of Sharples street and another traditional English at the bottom of Spring St. Finally there was two Butchers I remember, "Jacks" at the bottom of our street and another on George street between Eddleston and Spring St.

Lost in Cornwall 25-06-2012 08:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnie (Post 999512)
i am related to the roe family that lived on barnes st so it would have been that bakery im sure as i was only a toddler and wouldnt have walked far with my grandma ivy roe so thank you so much where would i find pictures of it back then??

I'll have to leave that question to somebody else. Not really an expert on old pictures sadly.

Bob Dobson 25-06-2012 09:13

The 1951 Barrett's directory liosts a whole page of confectioners in two columns for Accrington. No such listing in Clayton or other outlying townships.

ossy kid 25-06-2012 13:58

We had a bakery on the corner of Nelson St/ Napier St in the early 50s, there was a big coke oven at the back which I had to keep stoked. I also had to help pressing the pie shells and peeling the spuds, happy days.

egg&chips 01-07-2012 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 999621)
It was Bridges and its still there under different management but TBH its a pale shadow of its former self... My mum lived on Elizabeth St till 18 months ago and she wouldn't go in for the last 2-3 years as it had gone so far down hill..

As a nipper back in the 70's I remember being sent for a fig square ( which wasn't square!) for pudding on more than one occasion and we used to get our loaves there.
Then there was the corner shop on Exchange Street (Pats) where we got to spend our pennies on sweets and or go for whatever ingredients Mum needed for tea. She used to run tick so you could pay at the end of the week... I can't ever see Tesco doing that :D

There was "Vivo" which was at the bottom of Eddleston street(always had a weird smell that shop which I can still bring to mind), the paper shop next door(next in line when it came to sweets, more choice but usually more expensive!), the "post Office" (which wasn't a post office any more but was always referred to as such) on the corner of Lonsdale and Charter st. There was also a small veg shop on the bottom by what was then a roundabout but is now just an island( and a hairdressers next door?). Takeaways consisted of the Chinese at the top of Sharples street and another traditional English at the bottom of Spring St. Finally there was two Butchers I remember, "Jacks" at the bottom of our street and another on George street between Eddleston and Spring St.

I notice you missed out Aunty Fran's women's wear shop at 122 Lonsdale st Ian. Did you forget, or are you trying to cover up a dark secret? There was also a cracking little sweet shop At the corner of Pickup St and Spring Hill Road where they used to sell sasprilla on draught by the glass - sheer heaven after an afternoon of building dams up the clough.

mobertol 01-07-2012 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 999621)

My Grandma and Grandad lived at No 32 -we always used to get to go up to Pats for our sweets too! Happy days....:p

entwisi 02-07-2012 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by egg&chips (Post 1000647)
I notice you missed out Aunty Fran's women's wear shop at 122 Lonsdale st Ian. Did you forget, or are you trying to cover up a dark secret? There was also a cracking little sweet shop At the corner of Pickup St and Spring Hill Road where they used to sell sasprilla on draught by the glass - sheer heaven after an afternoon of building dams up the clough.

The only thing I remember about Frans was she had some Orange film/sun shade stuff on the window? oh and the tarmac raised bit out front was ace for pulling wheelies on my bike......

I remember Spring Hill car club having a little shop in one of the cottages opposite you as you were pulling out of Pickup st onto SP Hill RD. was it the sweet shop before that?

We'd also forgotton the corner shop at the end of Stevenson St /Sp Hill rd.