Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Hyndburn Transport (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/hyndburn-transport-61787.html)

stevemarl 10-08-2012 01:15

Re: Hyndburn Transport

Hi, I worked for their subsidiary Rigbys Coaches in Eccles MCr from about 1993 until Stagecoach took over & shut it all down. School contracts around Bolton/Farnworth area, plus the 500 Bolton > Airport. My understanding at the time was that Blackpool transport were on the verge of signing the cheque, so to speak, when it all fell through (due to the fact all their staff were actually striking for pay & conditions; I guess it was hard to claim pot was empty whilst also paying £millions buying up other concerns...?) This was bad news for us, as they were also Municipal & seemed a safer bet than Ms Gloags outfit! Briefly, they were a Very good company, Andrew Gill would come down to Eccles to keep us in the loop, seemed a nice guy. Similairly Colin Mansfield operations manager - would come & drive a bus if needed !! Inspector Stan Tucker , my line manager - nicest guy you could meet; there was a real family feel to Hyndburn, much more so than GMPTE for whom I had worked previously..
Happy days! If I can help with anything please ask
Steve

ps Andrew Gill did not go with Rigbys, that was taken over by Derek Moorhouse who ran the coaching side of the business ("just the Ticket") I believe it`s still trading, saw a coach near Old Trafford recently'

Paul Savage 14-08-2012 19:16

Hi Steve. Thanks for the information and sorry for the delayed reply - been away for a few days.

I've hit a few problems with the project, mainly the 'political' stuff, so things have slowed considerably at the moment and I am looking at a bit of a re-structure of approach. I've also come across another party with a proposition which will change the ultimate focus of the project, but I'm still looking for the information.

I had an email from Colin Mansfield at Rigby's (who are still very much around) and hope to talk to him in the near future, but Andrew Gill is proving more elusive. He did go to Lancashire CC, but left there earlier this year, so I've just missed him! Unfortunatelyt, it's a sacking offence at LCC for staff to pass on contact details of ex employees, so rather stuck there!

Appreciate your posting! I'll keep you in the loop and once things move forward, I'll be in touch again - the Rigby's operations under the Council will dfefinitely be of interest.

stevemarl 16-08-2012 00:05

Hi glad you`ve had mail from Colin, - nice guy!
I did help out at Ellison st depot in the last weeks before it closed, clearing stores, putting stuff in skips etc etc. I did take the opportunity to take quite a few photos for posterity; offices, cashroom, workshops, pits - loads of buses in various states of dismemberment. If these are of use, or if you know of anyone who cou;ld archive these, please let me know?
Steve

Paul Savage 16-08-2012 09:12

Thanks Steve. I've sent you an email in response to your last posting.

Bob Dobson 16-08-2012 10:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevemarl (Post 1009242)
Hi glad you`ve had mail from Colin, - nice guy!
I did help out at Ellison st depot in the last weeks before it closed, clearing stores, putting stuff in skips etc etc. I did take the opportunity to take quite a few photos for posterity; offices, cashroom, workshops, pits - loads of buses in various states of dismemberment. If these are of use, or if you know of anyone who cou;ld archive these, please let me know?
Steve

..............................................Teve . Good thinbking. Please bear in mind the interests of Accrington Library They would love to have copies of your photos. If contacting, ask for John Simpson. [email protected]

Paul Savage 17-08-2012 07:39

Thanks for the pics Steve - a good record of Ellison Street in its last days. I'll make sure they are widely seen, including sending them on to Accrington Library for you as Bob suggested.

Wynonie Harris 17-08-2012 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Savage (Post 1009417)
Thanks for the pics Steve - a good record of Ellison Street in its last days. I'll make sure they are widely seen, including sending them on to Accrington Library for you as Bob suggested.

Any chance of posting some of them on here, Paul, or are you saving them for your book?

Paul Savage 17-08-2012 10:17

Never thought of that! If Steve's happy for me to do so, I don't see a problem as I am definitely not looking to make anything exclusive to myself. I'll ask the question .....!

Wynonie Harris 17-08-2012 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Savage (Post 1009440)
Never thought of that! If Steve's happy for me to do so, I don't see a problem as I am definitely not looking to make anything exclusive to myself. I'll ask the question .....!

OK, I and I'm sure many other members will look forward to them, Steve's permission permitting. :)

Paul Savage 19-08-2012 12:14

I've just created a Flickr Group from my main account pages where I've uploaded Steve's photos for all to see. You can access at Flickr: Hyndburn Transport 1996

Steve wants the images to be seen and used by anyone interested.

If anyone has other images they would like to share, please feel free to add to the Flickr group pool; it would be great if we could get this to be a public archive of photos of the operations!

Wynonie Harris 19-08-2012 15:39

Cheers, Paul. Some very interesting shots there. :)

Paul Savage 19-08-2012 16:04

It's certainly a good selection of pictures and I'm very glad that Steve not only had the foresight to take them, but took the trouble to make them available.

There's quite a lot of Hyndburn Transport pics out there on the internet so I'm going to try to get permission from the various owners for some more to be added to the group. The page visits have gone crazy today since I set up the group indicating there is a definite interest in the Hyndburn stuff, so we'll see what develops.

Bob Dobson 19-08-2012 18:09

Civilised conduct from a Savage.

Paul Savage 19-08-2012 18:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1009699)
Civilised conduct from a Savage.

We try!!!! :D

ian1 21-08-2012 21:48

My dad worked there for years ,70s till he retired a few years ago , ill see if i can get him to reply to this post
ian