Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Black lead fireside range (please help) (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/black-lead-fireside-range-please-help-63380.html)

Jethro 20-01-2013 15:22

Black lead fireside range (please help)

Hi this is my first post,
Does any body remember the old (black lead fireside range) the one with an oven, water boiler and open fire, they wear still in use up to about the 1950s.
I no George Bodley invented the range in 1802 and revolutionised the Victorian kitchen.
1. How did they no when the oven was at the wright temperature for cooking
Bread and poultry.
2. Did they use oven sticks under the oven.
3. What sort of food did they cook on it!!!.
4. To boil water they used a copper kettle on the fire, there was a metal bar that folded down over the fire, it was know as a falling crow, was it called anything else.
5. The fret at the base of the fire was called I think a tidy Betty was it called anything else.
6. They some times wrapped the oven shelf in a cloth and used it as a bed warmer, is that true!!!.
Did your parents use one, do you remember seeing one,

I would appreciate any help with this post
Best regards Jethro

susie123 20-01-2013 15:56

Re: Black lead fireside range (please help)

Have you seen this?

The Old Black Lead Range Peter Brears - YouTube

You could probably do any sort of cooking on a range that you do on a modern oven provided the temperature was right - and that is a matter of experience. As for what they actually did cook - that would be down to local ideas and traditions.

I cooked for about ten years on a modern wood burning range that also did central heating. No open fire to cook over but a large firebox that had to be topped up constantly (would not be true with coal). And an ash can that had to be emptied - the worst job of all. I well remember using the ash rake on the top of the oven, exactly as described in the film.

Try this also - from the book of the Victorian farm TV series.

Victorian Farm: Christmas Edition - Ruth Goodman - Google Books

Jethro 20-01-2013 16:59

Hi Susie, many thanks yes I have seen the short film on YouTube, the Victorian farm link is interesting. As a chimney sweep I still get to sweep these every now and then, one of my customers who is 89 years old and she said they used to sprinkle salt in the bottom of the oven and when it started to turn brown it was the right temperature for cooking bread. My post really is to try and find out as many hints and tips on cooking lighting and operating the dampers etc before that generation completely disappears. Many tanks

MargaretR 20-01-2013 17:08

The ranges are in production

Victorian Cast Iron and Brass Ranges from the Yorkshire Range Company

The manufacturer will know how to use them.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2013 17:14

We had a range in our kitchen when I was a child.
Our range had a hot water box...with a lid at the top(to fill the hot water box) and a tap at the bottom to draw hot water off.
I don't think there was any real way of knowing what the right temperature was for cooking food.......except you knew that when the fire was first made, the oven temperature would not be very hot....a blazing fire would mean a very hot oven....and stuff that needed a lower temperature to cook was placed at the bottom of the oven.
I'm sure it was all a matter of experience.

And yes, the metal shelves from the oven were used to warm the bed on cold winternights...as were bricks(these would have been in the oven for a few hours) both the metal trays and the bricks were put into flannel(we had flannel drawstring bags - made by my Grandma) so that we didn't burn ourselves on them...the metal tray was taken out of the bed before you got in...and the bricks were left in bed to put your feet on to keep them warm.

Jethro 20-01-2013 17:41

Thanks Margaret that's exactly what I was hoping for, have you ever heard of Hardin it was a Victorian cloth I think and used as a oven cloth. None of my customers have heard of it.

Margaret Pilkington 20-01-2013 17:50

No, I can't say that I have heard of that........thick padded cloths were used to take stuff from the oven, but they were usually made up from other discarded household textiles.
Bits of old towels folded and stitched to give the required thickness....you were posh if you had oven gloves.
I think my grandma had asbestos fingers...she used to hold things that were very hot without seeming to suffer any ill effect...but warned us against trying the same things.

MargaretR 20-01-2013 17:52

In the video that Susie linked, the cloth was used and named.
My gran used an 'oven and boiler' range until her death circa 1979, but she had a two ring gas hob as well.
I do recall a blackened kettle being permanently on the fire.

Jethro 20-01-2013 18:06

I'm giving a talk to primary school kids in March key stage 1&2 aged 6 to 9 about life as a child in the Victorian times and how life centred around the ( black lead fireside range) I do have an exact replica of the range made out of wood compleat with oven firebox and water boiler it looks just like the real thing, hence my quest for as much knowledge as I can obtain.

susie123 20-01-2013 19:30

It seems that hardin linen is a type of cotton cloth, which you can still buy in America, though I have not heard of it in this country, and I worked with textiles for many years.

Quick View - Pindler & Pindler Hardin Linen
Amazon.com: Hardin Linen Fabric: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Gordon Booth 20-01-2013 19:37

My grandmother had one of these and always had the kettle on. The smoke must have got into the water because I remember you always had a slight sooty taste in your cup of tea.

Jethro 20-01-2013 19:40

That's interesting did you ever taste any food cooked on the range. And if so what was it like!!!.

cashman 20-01-2013 19:43

My auntie in Ireland had one twas used well into 70s, She lived in a village just outside Dublin. Like Gordons nans the kettle was always on, don't recall any sooty brews wi that un.

Gordon Booth 20-01-2013 19:49

I don't remember the food tasting sooty but the kettle was over the flames and smoke(on the 'falling crow'? Never heard it called that)
The oven was at the side so wouldn't get smoke in it.
The other time I remember that taste was sucking icicles. The whole town lived and breathed in smoke.

Gordon Booth 20-01-2013 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1037947)
My auntie in Ireland had one twas used well into 70s, She lived in a village just outside Dublin. Like Gordons nans the kettle was always on, don't recall any sooty brews wi that un.

Would your auntie be using peat, cashman? Probably not as smoky as the rubbishy house coal we would be using. Remember 'nutty slack'?

Jethro 20-01-2013 20:31

It was the coal and Iron Age of eighteenth and nineteenth century Britton, there would have been soot in the air pretty much all the time.

Gordon Booth 20-01-2013 20:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 1037955)
It was the coal and Iron Age of eighteenth and nineteenth century Britton, there would have been soot in the air pretty much all the time.

Hang on, Jethro, I'm old but not that old!

MargaretR 20-01-2013 20:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1037956)
Hang on, Jethro, I'm old but not that old!

You are two years older than me, yet I recall the soot smuts being wiped off my face using mum's spit on a hankie.

Where were you when we had the smog?
Maybe you had a silver spoon country house upbringing in the leafy southern shires:rolleyes:

Gordon Booth 20-01-2013 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1037958)
You are two years older than me, yet I recall the soot smuts being wiped off my face using mum's spit on a hankie.

Where were you when we had the smog?
Maybe you had a silver spoon country house upbringing in the leafy southern shires:rolleyes:

Jethro mentioned ' the coal and iron age of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries'.
Even you and I don't go back that far!
There weren't many leafs in Steiner Street but we probably had nickel plated spoons.

cashman 20-01-2013 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1037950)
Would your auntie be using peat, cashman? Probably not as smoky as the rubbishy house coal we would be using. Remember 'nutty slack'?

Not as i recall Gordon was coal i used to fill the scuttle fer her.

keith higson 21-01-2013 23:36

Back in the 1940-60s my mum used to cook on a fireside range, nothing wrong with the taste. Her oven had the fire directly open and under the chimney, if she wanted to heat up water she put the pan/kettle onto a platform that swung out from the oven and over the fire.

She also put salt into a pan of water which she said got rid of the soot. Another way was to light a lot of paper which was drawn up the chimney which also cleaned it.

Eric 22-01-2013 15:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith higson (Post 1038126)
Back in the 1940-60s my mum used to cook on a fireside range, nothing wrong with the taste. Her oven had the fire directly open and under the chimney, if she wanted to heat up water she put the pan/kettle onto a platform that swung out from the oven and over the fire.

She also put salt into a pan of water which she said got rid of the soot. Another way was to light a lot of paper which was drawn up the chimney which also cleaned it.

Back in the late '40s and early '50s we had one in a house on Queen St., Clayton ... never took much note of it ... it was normal for the time. I do remember having baths in the old galvanized tub in front of that fire ... and making toast with the toasting fork ... also used to throw spuds on the fire till the skins were black ... then peeling off the skin and putting some salt and a little marg on them (if we were lucky). I used to think it was a treat ... wasn't till later I found out that this was the last food in the house until my dad's next pay packet.;)

There seemed to come a time when folks started to junk these monsters and replace them with ugly, modern, tiled things ... sometimes with a back boiler. I remember seeing a whole pile of the old fireplaces down in Basil Brierly's junk yard off Lower Barnes St. He even had a bunch of them on his allotment back of Rishton Rd. where he kept his pigs and stabled his horse.

Gordon Booth 22-01-2013 15:50

I remember chimneys setting on fire. I think the soot may have had a lot of tar in it, once they got going you could here a gentle roar-and the big lumps of glowing soot dropping down into the fireplace and the room.
The smoke outside was horrific.
I remember fire engines coming to put them out- heaven knows what the mess was like in the house when they'd poured water down the chimneys!
As Keith says, some people used to set them on fire regularly to burn off the built up soot before it got too bad.

Barrie Yates 22-01-2013 23:44

I remember when we moved to Lonsdale St in '49 that the chimney sweep came and swept the chimney a couple of days after we moved in.
They were still sweeping chimneys in RAF Married Quarters in '65/66 and probably later as the first quarter we got with central heating was '71

Retlaw 23-01-2013 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038218)
I remember chimneys setting on fire. I think the soot may have had a lot of tar in it, once they got going you could here a gentle roar-and the big lumps of glowing soot dropping down into the fireplace and the room.
The smoke outside was horrific.
I remember fire engines coming to put them out- heaven knows what the mess was like in the house when they'd poured water down the chimneys!
As Keith says, some people used to set them on fire regularly to burn off the built up soot before it got too bad.

We didn't just pour water down the chimney, we had an attachement that fit on the end of chimney rods, that gave a very fine alround spray, most of that turned to steam which inturn affected the burning soot higher up the chimney, we didn't leave a mess.

Eric 23-01-2013 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1037962)
Not as i recall Gordon was coal i used to fill the scuttle fer her.

Maybe he's thinking of the stuff we used to bank the fire at night, so that it would (might) still be smouldering in the morning, when you could put on a few pieces of coal, stick the blower on, and get the fire going again?

Gordon Booth 23-01-2013 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1038325)
We didn't just pour water down the chimney, we had an attachement that fit on the end of chimney rods, that gave a very fine alround spray, most of that turned to steam which inturn affected the burning soot higher up the chimney, we didn't leave a mess.

That's a relief, Retlaw. I always pictured that powerfull hosepipe pushed in the chimney and the results in the room below!

cashman 23-01-2013 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1038340)
Maybe he's thinking of the stuff we used to bank the fire at night, so that it would (might) still be smouldering in the morning, when you could put on a few pieces of coal, stick the blower on, and get the fire going again?

That would be "Slack" wrapped in newspaper?;)

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2013 16:47

Yes...I remember that and in the morning it was set like a crust.

Gordon Booth 23-01-2013 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1038357)
That would be "Slack" wrapped in newspaper?;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038365)
Yes...I remember that and in the morning it was set like a crust.

The coal man tipped some 'nutty slack' down one side of the 'coil hoyle' and proper coal on the other side so you could pick. Shovel full at night, as you say, break it up in the morning and put some coal on.
Didn't the nutty make a lot of ash, as most of it didn't burn? Fun taking the ashpan out to the bin in the morning if it was windy!

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2013 17:08

Yes I remember getting a walloping because I let ash blow over some newly washed sheets...though to be fair I don't quite know how I would have stopped it.

Another thing...were there arguments in your house over whose turn it was to go out and fill the coal bucket?
I remember dropping the key to the padlock of the coal place and being down on my hands and knees searching for it in the snow...I was blue with cold by the time I got the coal bucket back in the house.

And wasn't in an imbuggerance when the blooming fire went out.......all that palaver with the twisted paper, bits of sticks........and the shovel and a shet of paper up to make the fire 'draw'....reading the paper while it was drawing and watching it scorch
and go up in flames before you could do anything about it.
Ah the joys of solid fuel.

Gordon Booth 23-01-2013 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038372)

Another thing...were there arguments in your house over whose turn it was to go out and fill the coal bucket?

No, once I could walk it was my job.:mad:

Eric 23-01-2013 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038372)
Yes I remember getting a walloping because I let ash blow over some newly washed sheets...though to be fair I don't quite know how I would have stopped it.

I remember dropping the key to the padlock of the coal place and being down on my hands and knees searching for it in the snow...I was blue with cold by the time I got the coal bucket back in the house.

And wasn't in an imbuggerance when the blooming fire went out.......all that palaver with the twisted paper, bits of sticks........and the shovel and a shet of paper up to make the fire 'draw'....reading the paper while it was drawing and watching it scorch
and go up in flames before you could do anything about it.
Ah the joys of solid fuel.

You were lucky to have the arguments ... I was an only child; so, it was my turn all the time:mad: But it was a ****** when the fire went out ... it was always my turn to beet it.;)

But we did have a proper blower ... luxury:dancedog::D

It's a little chilly here right now ... we've reached the high for the day at -22 ... but I have a remote for the thermostat; so, I don't have to get off my skinny butt in order to change it. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get the dog to bring me a beer:D

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2013 18:46

Well, I had three brothers.......so there were always arguments...sometimes the fire went out while we argued, but Ma had something that would solve all arguments...it was a well aimed shoe.
We didn't have a blower Eric...we were really poor...it was paper and a coal shovel for us.

Eric 23-01-2013 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038416)
Well, I had three brothers.......so there were always arguments...sometimes the fire went out while we argued, but Ma had something that would solve all arguments...it was a well aimed shoe.
We didn't have a blower Eric...we were really poor...it was paper and a coal shovel for us.

If it makes you feel any better, hon, it was a home-made blower.:D

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2013 21:10

Home made or not...it was still a blower.
I was envious of my grandparents...they had a gas poker...so were guaranteed a roaring fire in no time at all.

cashman 23-01-2013 21:34

I never heard of a blower until just now.:eek: proper peasants in our house.

Margaret Pilkington 23-01-2013 21:36

Well, I only knew they existed because along with the gas poker, my grandparents had one.......I think it might have been made at Howard and Bulloughs(my uncle Harry worked there)

susie123 23-01-2013 21:43

We must have been posh - we had a blower and a gas poker. But we didn't have a kitchen range - they were for the fire in the living/dining rom - the kitchen was out the back in the scullery. And a gas fire in one of the bedrooms!

Margaret Pilkington 24-01-2013 06:40

Sue you were definitely posh.......bet you had a flush lavvy too(don't tell me you did and it was indoors).

cashman 24-01-2013 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1038462)
We must have been posh - we had a blower and a gas poker. But we didn't have a kitchen range - they were for the fire in the living/dining rom - the kitchen was out the back in the scullery. And a gas fire in one of the bedrooms!

Gas fire in bedroom?:eek: more n posh yeh were royalty.

Margaret Pilkington 24-01-2013 09:41

or landed gentry at the very least :D

Gordon Booth 24-01-2013 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1038462)

I'll bet your scullery maid didn't get the bedroom with the gas fire in it!

susie123 24-01-2013 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038505)
Sue you were definitely posh.......bet you had a flush lavvy too(don't tell me you did and it was indoors).

Oh yes a proper bathroom indoors - flush loo and bath too! AND an outside loo - which I think was also a flusher.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038551)
I'll bet your scullery maid didn't get the bedroom with the gas fire in it!

No that was me - and I had the little room at the back - definitely the maid's room!

This was when I lived for a few years in the fifties with my grandad, great aunt and second cousin in one of the bigger houses on Owen Street which my gt grandad had bought in the twenties - he had the fish business on the market and was very much a self made man.

My parents lived not far away on Queens Road in one of the houses built in the thirties I think - so again an inside loo but I think they also had coal fires and I don't remember any heating in the bedrooms. I lived there till I was about five and went back to live there in the late fifties.

Eric 24-01-2013 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1038545)
or landed gentry at the very least :D

Right ... next, we will be hearing about fridges and electric blankets:eek: And hot water that came out of a tap!!!!!!!!!!

susie123 24-01-2013 15:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1038611)
Right ... next, we will be hearing about fridges and electric blankets:eek: And hot water that came out of a tap!!!!!!!!!!

OK I'll start - never had an electric blanket - too scared at the thought! Fridges, very late on the scene. Hot water, certainly not at Owen Street, probably at Queens Road - think we had an immersion heater... Don't know how we heated the bath water at Owen Street - can't remember having that many baths...

Gordon Booth 24-01-2013 16:33

Gas geysers over the kitchen sink were very popular if you didn't have running hot water.
You can still get electric ones,it's all right having a combi boiler if it's near the taps, if not the tap runs for ages before it gets hot.

Gordon Booth 24-01-2013 16:34

Gas geysers over the kitchen sink were very popular if you didn't have running hot water.
You can still get electric ones,it's all right having a combi boiler if it's near the taps, if not the tap runs for ages before it gets hot.

susie123 24-01-2013 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038640)

You've jogged my memory Gordon, think at Owen Street we must have had one over the kitchen sink and one for the bath. Don't know about the bathroom basin though!

Know what you mean about combi boilers - you can wait a long time for that hot water!

DaveinGermany 24-01-2013 18:45

Oh deary me ! Listening to you old fogies goin' on .................. eeh us young uns don't know we're born. :)

Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube

cashman 24-01-2013 18:59

Jeez seems them Yorkshire folk had it real cushy.:eek:

Gordon Booth 24-01-2013 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1038698)
Oh deary me ! Listening to you old fogies goin' on .................. eeh us young uns don't know we're born. :)

It wasn't all bad, DiG. Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen(we didn't have a scullery)was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you so one of you got a luke warm bath..

Gordon Booth 24-01-2013 19:27

I once sat in that bath 15 hours waiting for my mother and her friends to finish the gin and leave the kitchen. By then all the water had leaked out of the hole in the bottom, the fire had gone out and it was time to get up for school.
Ah, the good old days!

MargaretR 24-01-2013 19:32

In June I stopped using gas appliances when I added natural gas to my list of chemical sensitivities.

I gave away my gas cooker, switched off my combi boiler, and bought electric heaters

I overcome the lack of hot water from taps by using the electric shower head to fill the handbasin, and I have a dishwasher. If I need hot water for cleaning purposes I can fill a bucket from the shower or boil a kettle.

Central heating is not essential for survival.

Eric 24-01-2013 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1038703)
Jeez seems them Yorkshire folk had it real cushy.:eek:

That's how I interpreted it too;) ... they'd no idea what it was to mek do; and they wouldn't recognize a day's work if one ran up and bit them on the ass:mosher:

Eric 24-01-2013 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1038712)
In June I stopped using gas appliances when I added natural gas to my list of chemical sensitivities.

I gave away my gas cooker, switched off my combi boiler, and bought electric heaters

I overcome the lack of hot water from taps by using the electric shower head to fill the handbasin, and I have a dishwasher. If I need hot water for cleaning purposes I can fill a bucket from the shower or boil a kettle.

Central heating is not essential for survival.

You should get yourself a water cooled Vickers machine gun:uzi: ... keep away unwanted guests and Jehova's Witnesses, and you'll have lots of hot water for tea.;):D

Eric 24-01-2013 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1038698)

Four Yorkshiremen - YouTube

As it says on the back of my second fav t-shirt when I'm riding: "Old Farts Rule":mosher: (My favorite is still: "If You Can Read This, the Bitch Fell Off."):D

Gordon Booth 25-01-2013 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038706)
Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you got a luke warm bath..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038711)
I once sat in that bath 15 hours waiting for my mother and her friends to finish the gin and leave the kitchen. By then all the water had leaked out of the hole in the bottom,

I exaggerate. All right, I lie. The bath didn't leak and my mother didn't drink gin. You can't out-imagine 'The Four Yorkshiremen' however you try.

I do remember sharing the tin bath with my cousin when he stayed with us during the war. When my aunt got married (thankfully long before I was 15) she had a lovely bathroom so we were regular visitors. In the early 50's my father managed to squeeze a tiny bathroom in by pinching space off the bedrooms- what luxury, how posh.
They weren't hard times, DiG, it was just the way things were.
Nowadays if you haven't got a couple of en-suites you're roughing it!

Atarah 26-01-2013 16:35

J.W.Bridge of Church Street used to sell these old ranges. I know for a fact where this is still one in Accy (not working of course) and there is one in Haslingden, both having Bridge's "stamp" on them.

Retlaw 26-01-2013 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1039114)
J.W.Bridge of Church Street used to sell these old ranges. I know for a fact where this is still one in Accy (not working of course) and there is one in Haslingden, both having Bridge's "stamp" on them.

The castings were produced at Lang Bridges.

keith higson 27-01-2013 01:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1038706)
It wasn't all bad, DiG. Sitting in a tin bath in front of the fire in the kitchen(we didn't have a scullery)was lovely- although I must admit once you were 15 it did get a bit embarrassing!
And of course by then your cousin was too big to fit in with you so one of you got a luke warm bath..

In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink". Also we only had electricity downstairs - can even remember the smoke stains from the Candles which were place on the bedrooms mantelpiece, we even had a Tippler Toilet" - was alwys afraid of falling down one.

susie123 27-01-2013 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith higson (Post 1039191)
In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink".

Me too - I have a photo somewhere...

Jethro 27-01-2013 12:20

Can any body tell me what soap they would have used in the tin bath, and also would they use it as a block or would they have grated it with a cheese like grater !!!!!!.

And when they were washing clothes in the dolly tub, what did they use no washing powder in those days.

And finally what was a poser used for and why did they use a poser and a dolly stick together.

maxthecollie 27-01-2013 12:44

carbolic soap

susie123 27-01-2013 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jethro (Post 1039253)
Can any body tell me what soap they would have used in the tin bath, and also would they use it as a block or would they have grated it with a cheese like grater !!!!!!.

And when they were washing clothes in the dolly tub, what did they use no washing powder in those days.

And finally what was a poser used for and why did they use a poser and a dolly stick together.

Bit of internet research some sites of which you may have already visited.

BTW it's a posser not a poser. Dolly stick appears to be the name for the wooden implement like a small stool with a long handle, posser is for the copper dome type of implement. Not used together as far as I can see but a dolly stick is also the name for a wooden stick used to take the clothes out of the tub after washing.

Washing Soda crystals would have been used in the dolly tub, also dolly blue to get things white.

Washing dollies, possers, laundry possing-sticks

?Back in the Day??: Life and How it was Lived a Hundred Years Ago II « "Not Yet Published"

Posser, Victorian, Original | Object Lessons - Houses & Homes: Victorians

MargaretR 27-01-2013 14:20

I recall the dolly tub and the posser
....and the washboard
Wringer Washers & Washboards

susie123 27-01-2013 14:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1039268)
I recall the dolly tub and the posser
....and the washboard
Wringer Washers & Washboards

Yep still got a glass washboard somewhere - never used by me but it had been left behind in the shed in the first house we bought in 1978 and too nice to throw away.

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2013 15:22

It was Carbolic soap...or Olive soap...they used to cut it off in a lump when you went to the Co-op.
And yes my mum(and my gran) used grated carbolic soap for washing clothes and a huge chunk to rub on unsightly stains before whatever it was went into the dolly tub.

Gordon Booth 27-01-2013 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by keith higson (Post 1039191)
In a tin bath eh, thats posh. In the 40s whilst living in York St, Church I remember being bathed in the "Slopstone" acka "Earthenware Sink".

Bet it was cold for a bare bum, sitting on a slopstone sink drainer in winter!

I'm sure my grandmother(and maybe my mother) used to collect all the nearly finished bits of household soap and drop them in a jam jar with a bit of water in it- dissolved and made a sort of liquid soap for washing clothes.

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2013 18:08

Gordon we did that with bits of soap, but Ma used it for shampoo.....and dipped the comb into the slimy mixture and combed it through her hair before putting some crazy sort of bulldog clips in her hair, to make natural looking waves.

Eric 27-01-2013 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1039286)
It was Carbolic soap...or Olive soap...they used to cut it off in a lump when you went to the Co-op.
And yes my mum(and my gran) used grated carbolic soap for washing clothes and a huge chunk to rub on unsightly stains before whatever it was went into the dolly tub.

I still use carbolic ... get it down at the health food store; and you can get olive too. I love the smell of carbolic in a hot shower.:D By the by, when Jethro says "in those days", does it make anyone else feel old:rolleyes: I'll bet I'm not the only one on here who wore clogs:D

Margaret Pilkington 27-01-2013 21:30

I never wore clogs, but I wore some pretty hideous jumble sale shoes...twopence(old money ) a pair.

Eric 27-01-2013 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1039363)
I never wore clogs, but I wore some pretty hideous jumble sale shoes...twopence(old money ) a pair.

Luxury:D:D

Margaret Pilkington 28-01-2013 07:10

Eric, you wouldn't be saying that if you could have seen them...I would have preferred clogs!

dotti34 30-01-2013 07:38

I’ve just been reading all the very interesting accounts of the ‘luxuries’ of a by-gone era. Brought back memories - it's that 'age' thing. The house where I lived until I was 14 had a black-leaded fireplace and oven – my mother used to keep it well polished, hard work but not one complaint.
I was born in this house and my cot was the bottom drawer, never closed of course but it probably would have been a temptation to do so had I been a screaming baby (oops!).
Friday night was bath night – tin bath in the kitchen. Big rock kept in the garden during the summer became the bed-warmer in the winter – it was great, kept the heat well, wrapped in a blanket.
Dad held a big sheet of paper in front of the fire to create a draught and get it started – often paper caught on fire, no wonder I have a phobia about fire now.
Outside toilet, pan was emptied weekly. Yuk! Washday was Monday, ironing Tuesday and so on, never different. My mother possed the clothes in the dolly tub then put them through a heavy wringer. Clothes were hung out across the road on lines to dry, lines held up high with props to keep them out of the way of any passing vehicles, though not many of those.
Sheer luxury when we got a Council house…..and yes, I did wear clogs. Hand made by Thornber’s of Clitheroe if I remember rightly. I had a pair of blue ones. Lasted forever.

Jethro 30-01-2013 13:44

Hi Dotti, very interesting, can you think back to when your mother was cooking on the ( black lead fireside range) did she cook vegetables in a pan on the open fire or did she put the pan on the hot plate, the shelf above the oven !!!. Also Dotti apart from baking bread and cooking poultry in the oven what other meals would she have cooked/ baked in the oven.

dotti34 30-01-2013 17:41

Rabbit pies, meat pies. Rabbits straight from the traps so had to be skinned and gutted. Mondays we always had stewed potatoes with left-over meat from Sunday, stews. Cheap, wholesome food. Baking took up a full day, think it might have been Wednesday. Apple pies, cakes and biscuits. No gadgets to help with the beating. As a special treat mum made toffee in a pan on the stove. Pretty sure that vegetables were cooked on the hot plate. Himself can remember his grandmother’s mouth-watering pies and currant cake, also cooked in oven next to fire.
I remember the goose being plucked at Christmas before it could be cooked, what a treat this was – the goose that is not the plucking! Feathers flying. Goose grease saved to ease chapped hands.
This was also a time when kids could go off for the day roaming the fields. I took a bottle of cold (black) tea for my thirst (luxury instead of plain water) and a couple of jam butts to ease the hunger, which has absolutely nothing to do with your question - sorry!

Jethro 30-01-2013 20:23

Thank you for sharing that lovely story with us, didn't no about the toffee.

dotti34 31-01-2013 03:14

Treacle toffee great for bonfire nights and for cold nights sitting by the fire at home. Russian toffee and fudge just to name a couple more. A lot of stirring needed and then a patient wait for the toffee to cool and set. Many times a burnt tongue by being impatient!
No idea how mum managed to give us these treats, very little money. Btw, the kettle was always on the stove ready and waiting.

dotti34 06-02-2013 19:46

...and mustn't forget the rice puddings!

Jethro 10-02-2013 13:26

Hi Dotti can you remember bath nights !!! Who went in first adults or children and did they use the cloths horse as a privacy screen. I've head the saying ( don't throw the baby out in the bath water) but that would imply children went last.

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2013 14:25

Jethro...I remember bath nights........it was babies first, girls second, boys next....new water for Ma and Pa........and yes the clothes horse was used, not just for privacy, but to allow the towels somewhere warm to hang and to keep the draughts off those little pale bodies.
The water for our bath night was warmed by a Slaxone Copper, heated by a gas ring under the boiler(a very large water boiler - used for laundry on a Monday) the water in the range was for top up purposes, or that was the arrangement in out house.

Also the baby got pears soap...where we just got carbolic or green olive soap.

susie123 10-02-2013 14:56

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 1041480)
Also the baby got pears soap...where we just got carbolic or green olive soap.

Ah... Pears soap - haven't used it for years but the smell would still take me back - except they seem to have changed it, as with so many other things these days, can't leave well alone. And sad to say, although a rethink was promised, it doesn't seem to have gone far.

And even sadder, it seems that soap is hard to find in many shops now - it's all gels and liquids - try scraping those into your tin bath on a Friday night!

Pears Traditional Soap abandons new recipe after Facebook campaign - Telegraph

This Pears soap just won't wash! | Life and style | The Guardian

Eric 10-02-2013 15:41

And don't forget Dr. Lovelace's floating soap ... from Clayton:theband:

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2013 16:16

I bought some pears soap recently( my skin on my hands is wrecked from lots of hand washing with harsh soap) thinking if it was good enough for babies, then it would be gentle on my hands.........it was not good at all.......though himself quite liked it for his morning ablutions...It certainly didn't smell the same.
I do wish they would leave tried and tested products alone.

MargaretR 10-02-2013 17:00

Dr Bronner's soaps and toiletries are made the old fashioned way ie. no nasty petrochemicals.

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps All-One!

Dr Bronner's - Natural Health Welwyn

Margaret Pilkington 10-02-2013 18:05

I might just try some of that.......it isn't cheap but if it stops my hands from being sore then it will be worth it.

dotti34 10-02-2013 20:38

Not sure about the baby and the bath-water but the talk of tin baths - Friday night bath-time for me in the kitchen, as I was the youngest I think the others had their baths at a different time, Pears soap (I can still smell it) all bring so many memories back. Fennings Fever Cure, Malt Extract, wearing a Liberty bodice, pink pads to put on the chest (can't recall the name), Cod Liver Oil Capsules, etc., etc., - all to keep the colds at bay (didn't work though!). An orange or a few grapes (luxuries) from the street cart to help me get better if I had been ill - worked like magic.

dotti34 10-02-2013 20:42

Also remember Sloan's liniment for dad's aching back - remember the day when it came out too fast and ran down his back and 'under' - whoops!!!! a lot of cursing (and mum really hadn't done it on purpose).
Talking of soap before and cursing now reminds me of the carbolic soap threat 'you'll get your mouth washed out with carbolic soap if you say that again...' (and I did!)

susie123 10-02-2013 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotti34 (Post 1041553)
pink pads to put on the chest (can't recall the name)

Thermogene medicated wadding?

dotti34 11-02-2013 04:19

Sounds about right Susie. Also can still taste Cod Liver Oil Emulsion when I think of it..yuk! Himself remembers their bath night, always Friday. Five boys - youngest in first, eldest last - him being the eldest. Water boiled on stove in a big pot. Two bedrooms - 3 boys in one bed, 2 in another. But tell you what - they were happy times, we didn't know any different.

dotti34 11-02-2013 04:20

Tin bath, of course.