Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Car Insurance for young drivers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/car-insurance-for-young-drivers-63625.html)

hedman2003 22-02-2013 11:39

Car Insurance for young drivers

My youngest daughter is 18 and has bought a car as she has just started to learn to drive. She is searching for insurance that is affordable. Can anybody recommend a company that provides cheap (if such a thing exists) insurance

thanks in advance

Gordon Booth 22-02-2013 13:42

Re: Car Insurance for young drivers

I wish her luck. A friend of mine bought a lovely little VW for his grand daughter for £1000 as a present for when she passed her test. The cheapest insurance she could get was £3500. Needless to say they sold the car.
The EU equality ruling has ruined it for young women but not made it any cheaper for young men. The insurance companies must love it.

maxthecollie 22-02-2013 14:17

Best of luck with your quest.

Rob249 22-02-2013 14:43

Im afraid you will be looking at quotes £3000 upwards

Guinness 22-02-2013 14:51

Put my youngest on my insurance until she hit 21, she also got the 3 years no claims when she went solo...not sure if the insurance companies still do it after the EU ruling but may be worth asking

jaysay 22-02-2013 17:24

My Granddaughter is 24 and she pays an arm and a leg for insurance, not sure what it is this year but it was £1500 last term

Gremlin 22-02-2013 18:50

A friend of mine has a daughter who is learning to drive at 17 years old, she intends to buy the daughter a car when she passes her test to travel to Westholme school and hopefully later to Uni.
The insurance company have told her that she could have some sort of black box fitted which restricts the hours she can drive, it would also monitors how she drives.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?

Retlaw 22-02-2013 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1043288)
I wish her luck. A friend of mine bought a lovely little VW for his grand daughter for £1000 as a present for when she passed her test. The cheapest insurance she could get was £3500. Needless to say they sold the car.
The EU equality ruling has ruined it for young women but not made it any cheaper for young men. The insurance companies must love it.

Got round that. The car was registered in my name, insured by me, she was a named driver, I never drove it.

Gordon Booth 22-02-2013 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1043362)
Got round that. The car was registered in my name, insured by me, she was a named driver, I never drove it.

Seriously illegal. If she'd ever had to claim and they found out she wouldn't have been covered. Invalid/no insurance-police involved as well.
The main name insured has to state that they are the main driver.
They might have had a job proving you're not but if they suspected it they could with-hold any settlement.

DaveinGermany 22-02-2013 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1043359)
The insurance company have told her that she could have some sort of black box fitted which restricts the hours she can drive, it would also monitors how she drives.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?

Aye Gremlin, have a read of this,

BBC News - The proliferation of the little black box

maxthecollie 22-02-2013 21:25

[QUOTE=Gremlin;1043359]A friend of mine has a daughter who is learning to drive at 17 years old, she intends to buy the daughter a car when she passes her test to travel to Westholme school and hopefully later to Uni.
If the black box is fitted it would reduce the insurance costs, anybody else heard of this?[/QU
I've heard of this little black box. My Step Grandson is waiting to take his test and when he passes he has been promised an Honda Jazz from his Grandad. He enquired about the Black Box and it didn't make his insurance that much less .he had been quoted about £3000 third party fire and theft and the Black Box would reduce it by about £400

Guinness 22-02-2013 21:53

Oddly enough Gary Lineker has just tweeted about this black box thing. Apparently it's called telematics.

Young Driver Car Insurance - ingenie® Black Box Insurance 17-25

egg&chips 22-02-2013 21:57

Insured my lad with a company called young marmalade when he was learning but premiums rose sharply after he passed his test. Interesting philosophy they have tho.
Young Marmalade

davemac 22-02-2013 22:25

I use moneysupermarket.com to trawl all the insurance companies on my behalf. I have always managed to get my policy at the same price or cheaper.

jaysay 23-02-2013 08:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemac (Post 1043415)
I use moneysupermarket.com to trawl all the insurance companies on my behalf. I have always managed to get my policy at the same price or cheaper.

Are we all invited to your 21st Dave:D