Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Buttons (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/buttons-63786.html)

Greeny 14-03-2013 15:35

Buttons

Does anyone know why mens buttons are on the right side and ladies buttons on the left ? I am so curious , there must be a reason but what is it?

Less 14-03-2013 16:16

Re: Buttons

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeny (Post 1046781)
Does anyone know why mens buttons are on the right side and ladies buttons on the left ? I am so curious , there must be a reason but what is it?

I seem to remember a programme on TV many years ago that said it was because of a mothers natural tendency,
She would button a daughters clothes with her facing away from her, her male children would be facing towards her, so...
it would be easier to place the buttons the opposite way around to make fastening easier.

My memory could be wrong, but what the hey we are obviously dealing with womens logic, so anything may be the truth.
:)

Greeny 14-03-2013 16:21

Thats a good enough reason though Less. Thanks for that.

Less 14-03-2013 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeny (Post 1046786)
Thats a good enough reason though Less. Thanks for that.

No problem except if I'm correct, isn't it frightening that I can keep hold of such useless information from years ago, yet forget why I went into the kitchen and stare blankly at the light in the fridge desperately trying to remember what I was there for?
Usually it's a brew, well actually it could be anything, but I settle for a brew.
:D

Eric 14-03-2013 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1046787)
No problem except if I'm correct, isn't it frightening that I can keep hold of such useless information from years ago, yet forget why I went into the kitchen and stare blankly at the light in the fridge desperately trying to remember what I was there for?
Usually it's a brew, well actually it could be anything, but I settle for a brew.

Would that be "brew" (or, "brewskie") Canadian style ... as in a cold beer? Or limey style: a cup of tea?

jaysay 14-03-2013 17:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1046787)

Hell that's a funny kitchen Less staring at the light in the fridge to make a brew:eek: well I suppose anything can happen in Boloxnia:D

shillelagh 14-03-2013 17:30

and there was me thinking itd be about giant buttons .....chocolate style ....:p

susie123 14-03-2013 18:13

Two other answers from the internet:

Hundreds of years ago, women were dressed by their slave/servant/handmaiden/lady-in-waiting. Men usually dressed themselves.
And because most people are right-handed, it's easier to button a garment if the button is on the right.

The placement of men's and women's shirt buttons, left or right goes back to where the buttons were originally placed on the garment, front or back. Men's clothing always buttoned in the front and the buttons were set up to give a right handed man the easiest way to button his shirt. Women's buttons were originally placed in the back. They therefore had to have someone button their buttons for them. In order to make it easier for the person buttoning up the woman, the buttons had to be placed on the left instead of the right. By the time women's buttons were place in the front of the garment, women's clothing makers were already accustomed to placing the buttons on the left hand side

Eric 14-03-2013 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1046814)
Two other answers from the internet:

Hundreds of years ago, women were dressed by their slave/servant/handmaiden/lady-in-waiting. Men usually dressed themselves.
And because most people are right-handed, it's easier to button a garment if the button is on the right.

The placement of men's and women's shirt buttons, left or right goes back to where the buttons were originally placed on the garment, front or back. Men's clothing always buttoned in the front and the buttons were set up to give a right handed man the easiest way to button his shirt. Women's buttons were originally placed in the back. They therefore had to have someone button their buttons for them. In order to make it easier for the person buttoning up the woman, the buttons had to be placed on the left instead of the right. By the time women's buttons were place in the front of the garment, women's clothing makers were already accustomed to placing the buttons on the left hand side

And that't it? Nothing funny or quirky?:sleep:

Ok ... why do some bras fasten at the front, and some at the back? And why isn't there some standardiation? And why aren't there buttons on bras?

Gordon Booth 14-03-2013 18:52

I always felt as a lad that ladies buttoning on the left was another example of lack of consideration for left handed men. Looks like I was right!

DaveinGermany 14-03-2013 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1046836)
Ok ... why do some bras fasten at the front, and some at the back?

To confuse pimply teenage lads in the throes of exploratory fumblings. ;)

susie123 14-03-2013 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1046836)
And that't it? Nothing funny or quirky?:sleep:

Ok ... why do some bras fasten at the front, and some at the back? And why isn't there some standardiation? And why aren't there buttons on bras?

Mine doesn't fasten at all. I don't wear one, just a vest. Is that funny or quirky enough for you or too much information perhaps?

Eric 14-03-2013 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1046843)
Mine doesn't fasten at all. I don't wear one, just a vest. Is that funny or quirky enough for you or too much information perhaps?

Definitely not funny, and not even close to quirky. And there's no such thing as too much info. I'm on a mission to fill my brain before I buy the farm.;) But, a vest? On which side are the buttons?

susie123 14-03-2013 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1046845)
Definitely not funny, and not even close to quirky. And there's no such thing as too much info. I'm on a mission to fill my brain before I buy the farm.;) But, a vest? On which side are the buttons?

It's a vest, not a Liberty bodice, it doesn't have buttons.

Eric 14-03-2013 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1046847)
It's a vest, not a Liberty bodice, it doesn't have buttons.

Now I get it! "Vest" as in UK-speak. Forgive me; I've been away for a while;) Come to think of it, I used to wear the ones made out of string.