Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/accrington-secondary-tech-rhyddings-64223.html)

panther 13-05-2013 18:06

Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

Hi everyone, not been on here for a long while, so dont think i'm being cheeky asking something, you guys are the only ones I could think of for asking:p.
My son is doing an assignment for school and need know more about his school....Rhyddings.
I'ts their 80th birthday coming up so he has to write about the history of it. he has spent hrs on his laptop trying to find any info and cant find anything :(
He does know it was called Accrington secondary tech.
Does anyone have any old pic's of rhyddings school (the building) and any more info on it and does anyone know when it was changed to rhyddings county high school?, as ya can see you can see what info he needs.
anything would be much appreciated.
If not a trip to the library he will have to go!
Thank you!!!;)
You will be helping a stressed mum and moody lad....lol:rolleyes:

flashy 13-05-2013 18:18

Re: Accrington secondary tech/Rhyddings

have a look at this No Title | Page 1 | Accrington and District Secondary Technical School | Friends Reunited

there's a few pics on there

panther 13-05-2013 18:24

Ta flashy will do.
Does anyone also know what the headteachers were called too?
cheers!!

cashman 13-05-2013 18:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1058622)
Ta flashy will do.
Does anyone also know what the headteachers were called too?
cheers!!

Lol Marsden was head of Accy Tech, which was on union rd opposite Printers Arms, Amalgamated wi Rhyddings early 60s either 61 or 62 can't remember fer sure, before i left which was Easter 63. The brightest kids from Rhyddings were sent down to us in tech.:)

joaner3 14-05-2013 01:40

Mr. Marsden was the Head Master when I was going to Rhyddings, and Mr. Franklin was the Deputy Head. I left in 1967.
Mrs. Merrigold was the Music teacher, there was also Mr. Heffernan, Mr. Kerr, Mrs. Clark.

joaner3 14-05-2013 01:42

Try Friends Reunited there are some pics on there too.

Aussie Irene 14-05-2013 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1058611)
Hi everyone, not been on here for a long while, so dont think i'm being cheeky asking something, you guys are the only ones I could think of for asking:p.
My son is doing an assignment for school and need know more about his school....Rhyddings.
I'ts their 80th birthday coming up so he has to write about the history of it. he has spent hrs on his laptop trying to find any info and cant find anything :(
Does anyone have any old pic's of rhyddings school (the building) and any more info on it and does anyone know when it was changed to rhyddings county high school?, as ya can see you can see what info he needs.
Thank you!!!;)

Email
[email protected]
will be able to help

Aussie Irene 15-05-2013 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1058611)
Thank you!!!;)

It was called Accrington Junior Technical school in 1967, with only 96 students, all boys, my husband was one of them.

davebtelford 15-05-2013 10:16

Most of my junior school pals went to Rhyddings - all I know about it is that it was used as the exam centre for 11-plus exams in Ossie (in the fifties).

ossy kid 15-05-2013 15:16

Accrington Secondary Technical School and Rhyddings were two separate schools prior to 1962, as Cashy said. The "Tech" was boys only and Rhyddings both boys and girls. Rhyddings was the "secondary school for Oswaldtwistle while the Tech was for boys who "did well" in the 11+ exams and had students from as far away as Clitheroe. I went to the Tech and my wife went to Rhyddings 1955-60, and we're still amalgamated?

walker 15-05-2013 19:05

There are some photos of Rhyddings school on life and times of oswaldtwistle web site.

cashman 15-05-2013 19:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1058886)
Accrington Secondary Technical School and Rhyddings were two separate schools prior to 1962, as Cashy said. The "Tech" was boys only and Rhyddings both boys and girls. Rhyddings was the "secondary school for Oswaldtwistle while the Tech was for boys who "did well" in the 11+ exams and had students from as far away as Clitheroe. I went to the Tech and my wife went to Rhyddings 1955-60, and we're still amalgamated?

Yeh know i'd forgotten that, its just reminded me of this certain bird i'd completely forgot about Cheers.;):D

ossy kid 15-05-2013 23:54

You need reminding about a bird Cashy? Must be loosin it mate.

Aussie Irene 16-05-2013 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1058844)
It was called Accrington Junior Technical school in 1967, with only 96 students, all boys, my husband was one of them.

oops!! 1946 not 1967

cashman 16-05-2013 06:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1058953)
You need reminding about a bird Cashy? Must be loosin it mate.

I,d forgot there was birds came down wi the amalgamation,:p I have so many to remember it aint easy.:D

Aussie Irene 16-05-2013 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1058886)

I believe my husband can shed a little light on this thread.

In 1946, Accrington Junior Technical School as it was called then, was on the corner of Portland and College Streets Accrington. It was a Trades school for boys.The boys came from a wide area of Accrington including Clitheroe(as stated above) Gt Harwood and the Rossendale Valley There were four forms, two building, and two engineering. 1B and 2B and 1E and 2E. One and two standing for first and second year. There were 24 boys in each form, 96 in the school. At the end of the second year the school found you a apprenticeship in whichever trade you preferred. The principle was Ernie Overend who had degrees in engineering. Lawrence (lol) Marsden was maths and science master for the engineers and JP Barr was maths and science for the builders. Hilda (mammy) Archer was english teacher for everyone. Plus Trades teachers. In 1947 the school moved into a empty school building across the road from the Palladium cinema in Oswaldtwistle. Ernie Overend left, and Lol Marsden was appointed Principle. Messrs Cunliffe,Shaw, Abbott and Howland joined the staff that year. My husband does not remember any photos of either staff,or students, being taken in those years, but has seen a photo on the net of the staff taken in 1950. It was still Accrington Junior Technical School when he left in 1948.

Aussie Irene 16-05-2013 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059003)

In 1946, Accrington Junior Technical School as it was called then, was on the corner of Portland and College Streets Accrington. It was a Trades school for boys.The boys came from a wide area of Accrington including Clitheroe(as stated above) Gt Harwood and the Rossendale Valley There were four forms, two building, and two engineering. 1B and 2B and 1E and 2E. One and two standing for first and second year. There were 24 boys in each form, 96 in the school. At the end of the second year the school found you a apprenticeship in whichever trade you preferred. The principle was Ernie Overend who had degrees in engineering. Lawrence (lol) Marsden was maths and science master for the engineers and JP Barr was maths and science for the builders. Hilda (mammy) Archer was english teacher for everyone. Plus Trades teachers. In 1947 the school moved into a empty school building across the road from the Palladium cinema in Oswaldtwistle. Ernie Overend left, and Lol Marsden was appointed Principle. Messrs Cunliffe,Shaw, Abbott and Howland joined the staff that year. My husband does not remember any photos of either staff,or students, being taken in those years, but has seen a photo on the net of the staff taken in 1950. It was still Accrington Junior Technical School when he left in 1948.

I forgot to say that the boys had to pass a scolarship to go to the school. There was no 11+ in those days

westendlass 18-05-2013 10:47

Rhyddings school is holding a 'street party' next Friday (24th May) to commemorate its 80th anniversary. I think ex students are invited.

Aussie Irene 19-05-2013 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1059308)
Rhyddings school is holding a 'street party' next Friday (24th May) to commemorate its 80th anniversary. I think ex students are invited.

How many years was Rhyddings at the top end of Ossy before they moved to present building.

DtheP47 19-05-2013 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059003)

I too like Cashman went to the Tech on Union Road late 50's early 60's. Lol Marsden was the head then. (his son Philip was also at Peel Park with me he went on from the Grammar School to be a dentist I think). Mammy Archer taught us Geography. Frank Howland- Woodwork, Frank Eland - Metalwork. Mrs Westell (Westwell?) Art. Fred Abbot - Physics (stunk of the fags he smoked in the back room) and yes Bob Cunliffe knocked some of us us into some semblance of athletes in PE :)

cashman 19-05-2013 08:32

Another teacher i recall is "Flash" Gordon who taught english, That was the git i bumped into coming out of the odean one sat morning in heavy rain, when i should have been running fer the cross country team at Witton Park.:D needless to say he shopped me n the rest is history.:eek:

jaysay 19-05-2013 08:56

Am I right in thinking David Lloyd the cricketer went to the tech in the sixties, seem to remember seeing him at the school, I knew him through playing junior LL cricket

cashman 19-05-2013 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059440)
Am I right in thinking David Lloyd the cricketer went to the tech in the sixties, seem to remember seeing him at the school, I knew him through playing junior LL cricket

Yeh Selwyn was in same class as DtheP, which was a year above me.:)

jaysay 19-05-2013 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059448)
Yeh Selwyn was in same class as DtheP, which was a year above me.:)

Selwyn:D Thought he was think he went to Peel Park prior to that

DtheP47 19-05-2013 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059456)
Selwyn:D Thought he was think he went to Peel Park prior to that

Yes David went to Peel Park with me before we went to t'Tech. We were in the same forms/classes throughout school years.

Aussie Irene 19-05-2013 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059440)

I seem to think that Jack Simmons Enfield/ Lancashire cricketer and chairman also went there. Can anyone verify this?.

DtheP47 19-05-2013 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059460)
I seem to think that Jack Simmons Enfield/ Lancashire cricketer and chairman also went there. Can anyone verify this?.

Yes Jack was head boy when I was there Irene :D

Aussie Irene 19-05-2013 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059462)
Yes Jack was head boy when I was there Irene :D

How many students were in the school in those days and why did it change from a boys trades school to a mixed school ?.

cashman 19-05-2013 11:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059474)
How many students were in the school in those days and why did it change from a boys trades school to a mixed school ?.

It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.:D

Aussie Irene 19-05-2013 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059475)
It changed from boys only irene wi the amalgamation wi Rhyddings, they sent the brightest pupils from yon down to the Tech n some were obviously girls, which was quite pleasing to us, as my class got a couple of crackers.:D

My husband says he was born to soon. I think he is jealous of you cashman

ossy kid 19-05-2013 14:59

If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.

cashman 19-05-2013 15:04

Thats correct, i started 1st yr at moor end, think twas Mr Ogilvie (Oggy):) That would be in 59.

ossy kid 19-05-2013 15:29

My first year at the Tech was at Moor End 1955, teacher Mr Roberts. Other teachers not mentioned Mr Waterhouse, Mr O'Hare and Mr Gregg. I remember O'Hare had a bamboo cane about 4ft long and 3/4 diam., he used to touch the floor behind him to start his swing and you heard the rush of air as it came over his head, happy days??

cashman 19-05-2013 15:35

Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach?:confused: was it tech drawing?:confused:

DtheP47 19-05-2013 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059500)
Waterhouse rings a bell,what did he teach?:confused: was it tech drawing?:confused:

Think so Mr C :cool:

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059475)

Um Brightest pupils, how come you managed to go there in the first place:D:D:D

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1059497)
If it,s the 80th anniversary this year Irene then Rhyddings has been around since 1933, maybe not in the same building, but I think you may be getting The Tech and Rhyddings mixed up. The tech had a couple rooms at Moor End during the 50s prior to the amalgamation. Re Dave Lloyd and Jack Simmons, Dave 1957-62, Jack 1953-58, I was there 55-60.

When I was at Ossy St Mary's in the 50s we had woodwork lessons, for a while we went to Peel Park, then to Moor End, which was great for me as I always wanted to be a joiner, of course when the Holy Family opened in 59, woodwork was on the curriculum as was metal work, the woodwork teacher was Tony Hughes brother of the undertaker Leo Hughse, the metal work teacher was Bob Almond who still lives at the top of New Lane in Ossy

Retlaw 19-05-2013 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059511)

Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.:theband::theband::theband:;);)

jaysay 19-05-2013 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1059516)
Because they were compeled by law to take on a couple of dimwits.
So guess who qualified.:theband::theband::theband:;);)

When were you there Walter making up the quota :rolleyes::D

cashman 19-05-2013 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059511)

I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board.:tongueout cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.:D

Retlaw 19-05-2013 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059521)
When were you there Walter making up the quota :rolleyes::D

No I turned it down, left the space for you, your need was greater than mine.:tongueout

Retlaw 19-05-2013 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059532)
I should actually have gone the Grammar School,But fer the daft education board.:tongueout cos ive always been a clever beggar, or so they say.:D

And who says that beside you.
Clever buggar I'll agree with but nowt else.:tongueout

DtheP47 19-05-2013 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059532)

Back in the day we had a form to fill in 1st and 2nd choice which school you wanted to go to if you passed your 11+. (At Peel Park anyway)

I at that time wanted to join the navy as an engineer and discussions with my parents, etc decided the Tech was the best route. Never joined the navy but absolutely no complaints about the foundations Accy Tech gave me for my career paths :D

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 04:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossy kid (Post 1059497)

If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.

DtheP47 20-05-2013 08:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059599)
If what you say is correct, in what year, and why, did the Junior Technical School move out of the building across from the Palladium, and go to Moorend. What was the reason for the amalgamation, when they were two different types of schools, when initially, one would have had to pass a exam to go from Rhyddings to the Tech. This he does know was the case. Was Rhyddings school in Rhyddings Street before amalgamation. These are the questions my husband would like answered.

In my time Irene the Tech had an annexe up at Moor End, a couple of 1st forms as the overspill to the Union Road Building. The amalgamation I think was due to the Education Board of the time phasing out Technical Schools, maybe this was the start of our shrinking skill base as seen in industry today?
Rhyddings School was always on Haworth Street in Ossy, never on Rhyddings Street and Cashman may confirm if Rhyddings did move up to Moor End was it maybe just those Tech 1st forms coming under Rhyddings admin' etc?

DtheP47 20-05-2013 08:08

Incidentally Irene, its new swanky title is Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School.;)

jaysay 20-05-2013 08:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059599)

Couldn't think where it could have been located on Rhydings Street Irene, was built in its present place didn't move there

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 08:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059615)
In my time Irene the Tech had an annexe up at Moor End, a couple of 1st forms as the overspill to the Union Road Building. The amalgamation I think was due to the Education Board of the time phasing out Technical Schools, maybe this was the start of our shrinking skill base as seen in industry today?
Rhyddings School was always on Haworth Street in Ossy, never on Rhyddings Street and Cashman may confirm if Rhyddings did move up to Moor End was it maybe just those Tech 1st forms coming under Rhyddings admin' etc?

Thanks for that DtheP47. Things are starting to get more clear. Rhyddings in Rhyddings street was just a stab in the dark. My husband was beginning to think after reading some of the threads maybe he had never been to the tech after all. One boy from Rhyddings was in my husbands form.

DtheP47 20-05-2013 08:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059624)
Thanks for that DtheP47. Things are starting to get more clear. Rhyddings in Rhyddings street was just a stab in the dark. My husband was beginning to think after reading some of the threads maybe he had never been to the tech after all. One boy from Rhyddings was in my husbands form.

If you go to Street level on Google Earth and put in Haworth Street Oswaldtwistle your husband will see the old building with the add-ons on the left. :cool:

MargaretR 20-05-2013 08:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059628)
If you go to Street level on Google Earth and put in Haworth Street Oswaldtwistle your husband will see the old building with the add-ons on the left. :cool:

Not everyone is that conversant with google maps and earth so -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Haw...2,58.26,,0,6.2

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059628)

Thanks. Does that mean that the school is where it's always been. If so whats happened to Union Rd building?

cashman 20-05-2013 08:43

Union road building is still yon, what it is now someone else may know?:confused:

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1059634)
Not everyone is that conversant with google maps and earth so -

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Haw...2,58.26,,0,6.2

Thanks Margaret. Wiil have a look at that

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059643)
Union road building is still yon, what it is now someone else may know?:confused:

Thanks Cashman

jaysay 20-05-2013 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059643)

Don't think they can knock it down cashy because I think its a listed building why I don't know

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059617)
Incidentally Irene, its new swanky title is Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School.;)

The plot thickens

MargaretR 20-05-2013 08:57

When I looked at the old Tech building on google maps, it had a new sign outside - 'Oswaldtwistle School'.

When googling that I found -
http://www.iris.ac/sites/default/fil...e%20School.pdf

..so it is now a special school for disruptive pupils.

cashman 20-05-2013 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1059557)
Back in the day we had a form to fill in 1st and 2nd choice which school you wanted to go to if you passed your 11+. (At Peel Park anyway)

I at that time wanted to join the navy as an engineer and discussions with my parents, etc decided the Tech was the best route. Never joined the navy but absolutely no complaints about the foundations Accy Tech gave me for my career paths :D

Yep twas that i think everywhere? My problem was the stupid "Education Board" wanted to send me to a school down Blackburn, that i had NOT chosen.:eek: will explain next time we bump into each other D, if we remember.:D

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059619)
Couldn't think where it could have been located on Rhydings Street Irene, was built in its present place didn't move there

He did'nt know. He just thought Rhyddings school, Rhyddings St

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 09:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1059654)
When I looked at the old Tech building on google maps, it had a new sign outside - 'Oswaldtwistle School'.

When googling that I found -
http://www.iris.ac/sites/default/fil...e%20School.pdf

..so it is now a special school for disruptive pupils.

Maybe i should send my husband back.

jaysay 20-05-2013 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059657)
He did'nt know. He just thought Rhyddings school, Rhyddings St

That area is know as Rhyddings, there was once a Rhyddings Neighbourhood Watch back in the 60s and 70s, which covered the whole of that area, think is more with reference to the Park Irene

MargaretR 20-05-2013 09:22

I was born and raised on Hornby St and Neil's home is in this video.

We aren't gobbiners (born below the lamp), but that doesn't preclude strange behaviour, and this film is even financed out of the rates !

The End of the World on Rhyddings Street - YouTube

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 10:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059660)
That area is know as Rhyddings, there was once a Rhyddings Neighbourhood Watch back in the 60s and 70s, which covered the whole of that area, think is more with reference to the Park Irene

Thanks Jaysay. Learning more about Ossy by the minute although we did have three friends from up there. Tom Henry who lived three doors away in Park Road, Accy, Bernard Perkins, and Raymond Hilton past president of James St club but have sadly all passed on.

jaysay 20-05-2013 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059672)
Thanks Jaysay. Learning more about Ossy by the minute although we did have three friends from up there. Tom Henry who lived three doors away in Park Road, Accy, Bernard Perkins, and Raymond Hilton past president of James St club but have sadly all passed on.

Tom was a good friend of mine Irene as was his brother John they were in St Mary's Ossy Choir for many years and founder members of the now defunct St Mary's Amatuer Operatic society, Bernard was also a member of the choir but died very young was a great comedian and but for drink would have gone a long way, Ray was a Fireman stationed at Ossy lived on the Trinity Street Estate, as you say all sadly no longer with us

Karateman 20-05-2013 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059672)

Did you know Pauline Henry and her brother Mick, I think, and the Duffy family from Park Rd Accy?

cashman 20-05-2013 21:08

Duffys used to live top house on right hand side facing up, the dad was one of the last waiters in accys pubs, know em all, Pats been a good mate since early teens.;)

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karateman (Post 1059766)
Did you know Pauline Henry and her brother Mick, I think, and the Duffy family from Park Rd Accy?

Yes, Toms and his wife Sheila and kids Pauline and Michael. Can't place the Duffy family. We left Park Road 40 years ago.

Aussie Irene 20-05-2013 22:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059773)
Duffys used to live top house on right hand side facing up, the dad was one of the last waiters in accys pubs, know em all, Pats been a good mate since early teens.;)

Facing Park Con? Were they a big Family?

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 04:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059797)
Yes, Toms and his wife Sheila and kids Pauline and Michael. Can't place the Duffy family. We left Park Road 40 years ago.

Sorry, got that wrong, left Tremellen St.40 yaers ago for oz. left Park Road 50 years ago

cashman 21-05-2013 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059798)
Facing Park Con? Were they a big Family?

They were a big family irene, as fer park con??:confused: no idea what that is, it sure aint yon now.:confused:

jaysay 21-05-2013 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059797)

Just wondering if we're talking about different Tom Henry Irene, the Tom I knew has a son called Chris who is now a very talented snooker coach and has coached the likes of Steven Hendrey Peter Ebden and many more top stars

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 09:02

[QUOTE=cashman;1059815]They were a big family irene, as fer park con??:confused: no idea what that is, it sure aint yon now.:confused:[/QUOTE

We did know of them but not personally.
The park con was vacant land facing Duffys. Park congregational church was once on there donkeys years ago. After that got knocked down, Joe Hughes, father of Leo had his joinery workshop on there. After he died, that was then knocked down, and it was vacant for years. During the war there was a steel tank full of water on there in case the fire brigade needed extra water. From memory, it was vacant after the war and i seem to think, still vacant when we left for oz 40 years ago.It sounds like from what you're saying cashman, it's been built on again.

cashman 21-05-2013 09:11

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1059832]
Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059815)
They were a big family irene, as fer park con??:confused: no idea what that is, it sure aint yon now.:confused:[/QUOTE

We did know of them but not personally.
The park con was vacant land facing Duffys. Park congregational church was once on there donkeys years ago. After that got knocked down, Joe Hughes, father of Leo had his joinery workshop on there. After he died, that was then knocked down, and it was vacant for years. During the war there was a steel tank full of water on there in case the fire brigade needed extra water. From memory, it was vacant after the war and i seem to think, still vacant when we left for oz 40 years ago.It sounds like from what you're saying cashman, it's been built on again.

Ah the land yeh mention was always vacant until a few years ago, they built a childrens play area n put railings around it.:)

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059827)
Just wondering if we're talking about different Tom Henry Irene, the Tom I knew has a son called Chris who is now a very talented snooker coach and has coached the likes of Steven Hendrey Peter Ebden and many more top stars

I may be getting a bit mixed up here Jaysay with the boys name but his girl who was the eldest was definitly called Pauline, and i seem to think she went to Paddock House The house they lived in was was once his wifes ( Sheila Malone ) parents. Her father was a joiner like Tom.

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 09:28

[QUOTE=cashman;1059837][QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1059832]Ah the land yeh mention was always vacant until a few years ago, they built a childrens play area n put railings around it.:)[/QUOTE

There used to be railings round before. They got cut down for the war effort

jaysay 21-05-2013 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059841)
I may be getting a bit mixed up here Jaysay with the boys name but his girl who was the eldest was definitly called Pauline, and i seem to think she went to Paddock House The house they lived in was was once his wifes ( Sheila Malone ) parents. Her father was a joiner like Tom.

Ya Tom was a joiner so it is the same family, but Chris is quite famous in the snooker world

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059845)
Ya Tom was a joiner so it is the same family, but Chris is quite famous in the snooker world

We only knew him when he was small. Tony Sowden was a friend of John's

jaysay 21-05-2013 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059847)
We only knew him when he was small. Tony Sowden was a friend of John's

Think that was Terry Irene

Aussie Irene 21-05-2013 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1059848)
Think that was Terry Irene

Tony Sowden won The Observer cup now lives near Blackpool. Get a Christmas card from him ever year

jaysay 21-05-2013 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1059855)
Tony Sowden won The Observer cup now lives near Blackpool. Get a Christmas card from him ever year

Sorry Irene, I was thinking of Terry Southam, also a mate of John, he lives near Jen at Rising Bridge, still walks to mass every Sunday morning come hail snow or sun, he must be well into his 70s now

thectosian 03-12-2014 13:58

Hi all,
... I've just come across this thread from May 2013 - So apologies for a being a tad late to the chat! :)

I'm Duncan Ion.
I was a pupil at Moorend school in 1962, moving to Rhyddings Main school for the second and (possibly) third year.
I then went to the Technical School school for the fourth and fifth year (I was in 5X, I seem to recall that 5A did physics and English Literature).
Mr. Smith was the English Language Teacher.
Left in 1967 to join the Royal Navy as an electronics technician.
============
Later in the same thread (amazingly), the subject turned to the Duffys of Park Road. I lived next door! on Blackburn Road. Pat Duffy [eldest son] was my 'blood brother' ! (small nick of blood on each others' hand :) )
Pat has run his own car repair business (up on Whalley Road, I think), for many years.
The Duffys were a reasonably large family. Mrs Duffy is still with us, I believe. Lovely lady.
[All this is at some distance, as I live in North Wales]
The 'vacant lot' across from Pat Duffy had, I recall, a printers company in the building at the back. I believe it's now a play area.
=====
Returning to the fifth form of 1967, I would love to be able to get hold of a class photo of that year. I seem to recall seeing one of 5A, but not 5X... Any idea where I might enquire to get that?

regards to all,
Duncan.

cashman 03-12-2014 14:12

Hi dunc was talking to your Malc a couple of weeks back.;)

DtheP47 03-12-2014 14:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by thectosian (Post 1125339)
Hi all,
... I've just come across this thread from May 2013 - So apologies for a being a tad late to the chat! :)

I'm Duncan Ion.
I was a pupil at Moorend school in 1962, moving to Rhyddings Main school for the second and (possibly) third year.
I then went to the Technical School school for the fourth and fifth year (I was in 5X, I seem to recall that 5A did physics and English Literature).
Mr. Smith was the English Language Teacher.
Left in 1967 to join the Royal Navy as an electronics technician.
============
Later in the same thread (amazingly), the subject turned to the Duffys of Park Road. I lived next door! on Blackburn Road. Pat Duffy [eldest son] was my 'blood brother' ! (small nick of blood on each others' hand :) )
Pat has run his own car repair business (up on Whalley Road, I think), for many years.
The Duffys were a reasonably large family. Mrs Duffy is still with us, I believe. Lovely lady.
[All this is at some distance, as I live in North Wales]
The 'vacant lot' across from Pat Duffy had, I recall, a printers company in the building at the back. I believe it's now a play area.
=====
Returning to the fifth form of 1967, I would love to be able to get hold of a class photo of that year. I seem to recall seeing one of 5A, but not 5X... Any idea where I might enquire to get that?

regards to all,
Duncan.

Cashman and myself were 4 or 5 years ahead of you at the "Tech" Duncan

Pat Duffy still has a Car Body shop up near the Greyhound in Clayton "Hyndburn Autos" he will be repairing the rear bumperand wing of my VW in the next week or so. :( ouch !!)
mea culpa
Liam his brother is still connected with youth football I think, was involved managing Enfield FC a while back and works as a debt collector last I heard? Lives up near Rhyddings Park.
Good luck with your search for a class photo...Accy or Ossy ibrary maybe?

DtheP47 05-12-2014 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1125343)
Pat Duffy still has a Car Body shop up near the Greyhound in Clayton "Hyndburn Autos" he will be repairing the rear bumperand wing of my VW in the next week or so. :( ouch !!)
mea culpa

Took my car into Pat's place this morning :D He sends his regards as he does too to Cashy.;)

I hadn't made the connection you were Les's brother Duncan. He was at English Electric with me and frequented the Abbey too as well you know.

charlwood 01-06-2019 11:14

I was at ASTS in the early 50's after Peel Park. Fred Abbott was known in those days as Freda Bott, Mr Waterhouse played the Waterhouse Blues once. Caned by Mr Pullum Pullan?? Mrs Archer was not to be trifled with. LOL Marsden I never spoke to in 5 years. Mr Eland, Mrs Westell, Mr Gordon, Bob Cunliffe; they were all fine. Most of us took 7 O levels and actually it was a very good school.
All a long time ago!

cashman 03-06-2019 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlwood (Post 1228734)
I was at ASTS in the early 50's after Peel Park. Fred Abbott was known in those days as Freda Bott, Mr Waterhouse played the Waterhouse Blues once. Caned by Mr Pullum Pullan?? Mrs Archer was not to be trifled with. LOL Marsden I never spoke to in 5 years. Mr Eland, Mrs Westell, Mr Gordon, Bob Cunliffe; they were all fine. Most of us took 7 O levels and actually it was a very good school.
All a long time ago!

Used to clean Frank Elands car instead of metalwork due to being banned from it.:D

Ryewolf90 06-06-2019 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1059500)

There was a Mr Waterhouse at Rhyddings when I was there (I left in 1977) he taught mathematics, he died in April this year.

cashman 07-06-2019 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1228807)
There was a Mr Waterhouse at Rhyddings when I was there (I left in 1977) he taught mathematics, he died in April this year.

oh i left easter 63.:confused: name still rings a bell though.

thectosian 10-06-2019 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 (Post 1228807)

... Really sorry to hear that. Mr Waterhouse taught Maths at the Tech' School in 1966... Lovely man.

Mr Smith was the English teacher [his hobby was photography, I recall], Fred Abbott taught Physics, Mr Eland metalwork.

Duncan Ion
Form 5B
PS. Anyone got a form photo of 5X or 5A in 1966 ?