Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Dyke Nook (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/dyke-nook-64318.html)

jaysay 31-05-2013 08:22

Dyke Nook

This was featured on BBC Breakfast northwest this morning, am I right in thinking its off whalley road somewhere:confused:

gpick24 31-05-2013 08:28

Re: Dyke Nook

1 Attachment(s)
It`s on Whalley Road, between Oakhill & Crown pub. Used to be a childrens home. What was the story about?

jaysay 31-05-2013 08:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1061252)
It`s on Whalley Road, between Oakhill & Crown pub. Used to be a childrens home. What was the story about?

Thanks Mr. G. though it was. They are redeveloping the land around there, cut down all the overgrown bushes and maybe turning it into an orchard, ya I know, my ears pricked up when that was mentioned, too, wouldn't think that was the most sensible place to plant an orchard:confused:

gpick24 31-05-2013 08:46

Do they mean in the grounds of Dyke Nook, quite a big garden from what I remember from the few times I`ve been in there ( as a visitor ), but not big enough for an orchard. But not much else around there either, council estate at the back.

flashy 31-05-2013 08:52

NOOOOOOOO it's not Dyke Nook, it's Dyke Nook gardens at the top of Ribblesdale avenue, just at the side of what was the oakleigh pub

flashy 31-05-2013 08:55

Volunteers help create community orchard in Accrington (From Lancashire Telegraph)

jaysay 31-05-2013 08:57

Cheers Shaz didn't go on the LT website yesterday:mosher:

flashy 31-05-2013 08:58

Several weeks ago, Cllr Paul Cox entered Dyke Nook Gardens on Whalley Road, Accrington into a competition being run by BBC Radio Lancashire, in conjunction with the Royal Horticultural Society. The entry was successful and generated £500 to spend on the project. Local residents now intend to install lots of new features including raised beds, edibles roses, fruit bushes, trees, a fernery and a painting. BBC Radio Lancashire will be broadcasting live from the Gardens on Sunday 26th May and Sunday 2nd June on the Stephen Lowe Outdoor programme broadcast on Sundays 11 – 2pm.

(taken from bbc radio lancashire website)

jaysay 31-05-2013 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 1061262)
Several weeks ago, Cllr Paul Cox entered Dyke Nook Gardens on Whalley Road, Accrington into a competition being run by BBC Radio Lancashire, in conjunction with the Royal Horticultural Society. The entry was successful and generated £500 to spend on the project. Local residents now intend to install lots of new features including raised beds, edibles roses, fruit bushes, trees, a fernery and a painting. BBC Radio Lancashire will be broadcasting live from the Gardens on Sunday 26th May and Sunday 2nd June on the Stephen Lowe Outdoor programme broadcast on Sundays 11 – 2pm.

(taken from bbc radio lancashire website)

Cheers

gpick24 31-05-2013 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 1061258)
NOOOOOOOO it's not Dyke Nook, it's Dyke Nook gardens at the top of Ribblesdale avenue, just at the side of what was the oakleigh pub

Didn`t know that was called Dyke Nook Gardens.:)