Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Legal tender (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/legal-tender-64543.html)

Retlaw 12-07-2013 13:15

Legal tender

Are Isle of Man coins legal tender in this country, just had an argy with face ache who says they are not.
But to me if they have the Queens head on and a date & the words Elizabeth II then they are legal. Searched the internet but can't find owt definite, although some Isle on Man decimal coins are now collectors items. Also found that English 5, 10, 20, & 50 quid notes are not legal tender in Scotland & Northern Ireland.

flashy 12-07-2013 15:43

Re: Legal tender

I was up in Glasgow a few weeks back and I used 'English' bank notes in their shops so they must be legal tender up there

Gremlin 12-07-2013 16:37

I travelled extensively in Scotland when I was working and never had any English notes refused.
If Ii used the Southwaite services near Carlisle and my change included notes many times I would get Scottish notes going North and if I paid with Scottish notes Southbound I would get English notes in change.

DaveinGermany 12-07-2013 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1066433)
Are Isle of Man coins legal tender in this country, just had an argy with face ache who says they are not.

I'd say face ache has it on this one Retlaw (Sorry :o)

Travel Information - Isle of Man Direct

As to Jockeen sponnies, (think they've got about 4 different banks & styles of notes) some places will accept them quite readily I've found (especially areas where the Jocks holiday), but the further South you go they're more leery of "Foreign Coinage" . But turned around, I've no seen a Jock that'll say nay te English Poonds! :D

Gremlin 12-07-2013 17:47

I just got the following reply from a friend in the I.O.M. regarding Manx note.

"You would have a struggle paying with Manx notes in the UK Russell,although banks will accept them no bother. There is no problem with coins though. That’s why cash dispensers at the Sea terminal in Douglas and the airport only dispense Sterling notes,it’s daft but people think that just because the notes and coins have the QE2 picture they think they are acceptable. The best thing to do is Google Manx currency for a full explanation".

TubbyLes 12-07-2013 17:50

On my travels around the world,I found that American Dollars were accepted everywhere.Discuss.

DaveinGermany 12-07-2013 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by TubbyLes (Post 1066465)
I found that American Dollars were accepted everywhere.Discuss.

And usually backed up by M16's, M1 Abrams & A10 Warthogs ...................... Certainly Sir, we'll take your currency! :D

accyman 12-07-2013 22:06

i went to a shop in ossy and they point blank refused to accept my £7 note

it had the queens head on and everything..

ok it may have been a pic of my mum with a crown photoshopped on her head but the likeness is uncanny :confused:

Less 12-07-2013 22:13

Legal tender

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 1066520)
i went to a shop in ossy and they point blank refused to accept my £7 note

it had the queens head on and everything..

ok it may have been a pic of my mum with a crown photoshopped on her head but the likeness is uncanny :confused:

I can give you a three and a four pound note if you need it changing.

shillelagh 12-07-2013 22:54

the only problem being when you come back down here from Scotland is some places will not accept Scottish notes ... I always swap em wi the spugster before I come back ..:D

Neil 13-07-2013 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1066528)
the only problem being when you come back down here from Scotland is some places will not accept Scottish notes ... I always swap em wi the spugster before I come back ..:D

That's probably because they are not legal tender in England but banks will exchange them.

DaveinGermany 13-07-2013 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1066528)
I always swap em wi the spugster before I come back ..:D

Translation:- You empty the poor wee lambs wallet (at the same time liberating all those aged Moths) :s_aim1:

shillelagh 13-07-2013 10:22

wrong ... I have to leave him some money to buy food ..... and electric for his computer ... :p:p:p

DaveinGermany 13-07-2013 10:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 1066574)
wrong ... I have to leave him some money to buy food ..... and electric for his computer ... :p:p:p

Why? Jock eggs & Irn bru aren't that expensive are they? As to the Lekky, couple of bulldog clips to the neighbours junction box ............ :D

Retlaw 13-07-2013 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 1066447)
I was up in Glasgow a few weeks back and I used 'English' bank notes in their shops so they must be legal tender up there

I was only quoting a web site that said English bank notes were not legal tender, I was always able to use our money whenever we holidayed in Scotland, always tried to make sure I had none of theirs when we were on our way home.