Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Thieving dogs (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/thieving-dogs-64846.html)

westendlass 23-08-2013 13:25

Thieving dogs

Does anyone know of a way to stop my dog grabbing things and trying to swallow them (toilet rolls, hair clips and just about anything he can find ). He has become a terrible attention seeker. I try to keep everything out of his way but the other day he came bursting in from the garden with a huge rusty nail sticking out of his mouth. After a massive struggle, I managed to extract it from his gob but ended up with a huge fang through the top of my thumb as he tried to keep hold of the nail. One anti tetanus jab later (and a cartoon sized bandage) and I'm pulling my hair out! Any suggestions? :gooddog:

cashman 23-08-2013 13:30

Re: Thieving dogs

When hes out bung a muzzle on him, should help. inside yer struggling.

gpick24 23-08-2013 13:34

is it something like this -
How to Stop a Dog From Stealing Items & Running | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
A muzzle would be a quick fix, but not good long term.

westendlass 23-08-2013 13:39

Yes, I think that would make a difference when he's outside but inside, no matter how many times I tell the ( grown up ) kids to watch where they leave things, he always manages to root something out. He has a penchant for socks. I don't want him to seriously injure himself. He's such a div.

westendlass 23-08-2013 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1072543)
is it something like this -
How to Stop a Dog From Stealing Items & Running | Dog Care - The Daily Puppy
A muzzle would be a quick fix, but not good long term.

Thanks for that, but I have to be careful what toys I get him as he eats those as well. I get him those huge ropes from the pet shop and they last about three days tops. He gets bored with his bones too, after a while. His jaws are so powerful I haven't found anything that he can't demolish so far. Does anyone have any ideas for indestructible dog toys?

gpick24 23-08-2013 13:56

I`ve not found anything indestructible yet, but some last better than others.
Indestructible Dog Toys and Durable Dog Toys for your LARGE Dog
There is a stall on market that sells quite cheap durable balls, but as they sink, they aren`t much good to us.

gpick24 23-08-2013 14:04

1 Attachment(s)
I get this kind from stall on outdoor market. They are solid, so don`t pop like a tennis ball & they float. But if left alone with it, he will pull it to bits. They cost £1.70 each.

westendlass 23-08-2013 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1072547)
I get this kind from stall on outdoor market. They are solid, so don`t pop like a tennis ball & they float. But if left alone with it, he will pull it to bits. They cost £1.70 each.

I wouldn't mind if he ripped toys to bits but he swallows the bits as well. I'm worried he will get a blockage. He definitely needs more mental stimulation. I've found stuffing bits of food in to the middle of his bone keeps him occupied for about five minutes, a bit like a Kong. But it doesn't last long enough.

gpick24 23-08-2013 14:29

Does he get plenty of exercise? Duke plays up if he misses a walk or two, made a right mess of his kennel, chewed it to bits. All down to boredom.
Another link I`m afraid, explains why dogs chew things.
How can I stop destructive dog chewing
Not exactly relevant to your problem, but may be worth a read.

cashman 23-08-2013 14:44

Did yeh get him from the Burnley Area? Sure sounds like hes got Dingle in him.:D

gpick24 23-08-2013 14:48

He is part Cheweky, which is as good as, if not worse.
http://gundogs.joomlawebdesigner.co....ky/cheweky.htm
Based in S.Yorks
Top pic (Cheweky wolf) is his grandad.

Less 23-08-2013 15:29

I think you are allowing your dog to dominate you.

It needs you to take control which won't be allowed without some tough love.

Find yourself (rather than the dog) a place that will give you both instruction.

MargaretR 23-08-2013 15:31

If all else fails there is always - teeth extraction !

westendlass 23-08-2013 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1072551)
Did yeh get him from the Burnley Area? Sure sounds like hes got Dingle in him.:D

Actually Mr.C, that's really funny as we got him from Aspen Valley kennels as a stray that wanted rehoming. They told us he'd been picked up wandering round the streets of Burnley! Ha,ha. We've had him two and a half years now and he's really lovely apart from this quirk. As for exercise, Mr. G, I think we'll step up his walks to see if that makes a difference but, to be honest, when he's been out for hours he's still full of it when he gets home.:gooddog:

westendlass 23-08-2013 16:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1072558)
If all else fails there is always - teeth extraction !

Thanks Margaret, could've done with that before he sank his fang in to my thumb! :o