Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Camping... Anyone know where i can go camping? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/camping-anyone-know-where-i-can-go-camping-65237.html)

Aceadam 05-11-2013 23:33

Camping... Anyone know where i can go camping?

hi all,

I am just wondering where a camping area is near to the accrington area?

thanks in advance

susie123 05-11-2013 23:52

Re: Camping... Anyone know where i can go camping?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceadam (Post 1082349)
hi all,

I am just wondering where a camping area is near to the accrington area?

thanks in advance

Depends whether you want rough or "wild" camping or a proper site. The Camping and Caravanning Club run one of those ar Clitheroe, by the river ar Edisford Bridge. Look them up on the net.

Aceadam 06-11-2013 00:16

Oh ya i should of stated my bad, Wild camping, using my own gear etc, i did see that one at clitharoe tho and i might ask if they do like a wild part etc
cheers!

Neil 06-11-2013 09:32

Scotland is the nearest place you can legally wild camp in the UK. It is illegal to wild camp in England, that is if you mean wild camping as in just go for a walk somewhere and set up your tent without seeking permission from the landowner first

westendlass 06-11-2013 09:54

When I was a teenager I went camping with some friends on the moors near Mallam in the Yorkshire Dales. We plonked our tent at a spot we fancied in the middle of nowhere and, sure enough, we were rudely awoken next morning by a ranger and told politely to clear off. Wed been spotted by a passing farmer.

Gremlin 06-11-2013 10:10

There is a camp site next to Green Howarth Golf Club where a friend of mine and his wife and son pitch the tent a lot at weekend.
It's pretty wild up there but it's not far away and you can get a pint in the Club.

gpick24 06-11-2013 10:11

Camped up the coppice when I was a kid.

susie123 06-11-2013 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1082386)
Scotland is the nearest place you can legally wild camp in the UK. It is illegal to wild camp in England, that is if you mean wild camping as in just go for a walk somewhere and set up your tent without seeking permission from the landowner first

Have a word with churchfcrules. Before he recently became landlord of a pub up Ossy he used to wild camp all over the Lakes and Dales. Can't remember the name of the pub but you might have fun finding out! Restless, Less and DtheP47 might know - they've all been there. There's a photo on here to prove it somewhere. :rolleyes:;)

Yes Neil I know it's illegal but lots of people do it, just like many other things and far less harmful. :p:eek:

Neil 06-11-2013 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1082413)
....just like many other things and far less harmful. :p:eek:

Not when you part of a group of volunteers picking smashed glass beer and spirit bottles out of the camp fire up at Jack house its not!!

Oh and the dumped tent and items of clothing, used bbq's and everything else they couldn't be bothered to take away with them :mad:

Eric 06-11-2013 15:08

"Wild camping" ... never heard that one before. I like it. Pity he ain't in Canada. We have about 9.5 million square km. where you can do wild camping, as long as you don't mind sharing with the bears and the moose.;)

Wild camping brings back memories of when I lived in northern Saskatchewan ... toss your dog, tent, sleeping bag, gun, traps, and fishing gear into your canoe, and away you go.:theband:

Aceadam 06-11-2013 17:19

ya its a shame u cant go camping in or near lancs area, its an outdoor activitie thats free and yet we cant do it..

DaveinGermany 06-11-2013 17:24

Preston allegedly! :eek:

Eric 06-11-2013 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aceadam (Post 1082440)
ya its a shame u cant go camping in or near lancs area, its an outdoor activitie thats free and yet we cant do it..

... and there is still probably lots of beautiful countryside left.

Used to love camping when I was younger ... guess I'm fortunate to live here ... only ever had to kill one bear:D But there are no longer bears in Lancashire; so you won't need the gun and the dog.;)

Anyway, good luck with your search.

susie123 06-11-2013 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1082426)
Wild camping brings back memories of when I lived in northern Saskatchewan ... toss your dog, tent, sleeping bag, gun, traps, and fishing gear into your canoe, and away you go.:theband:

I like the image of tossing your dog into your canoe...

Eric 06-11-2013 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1082458)
I like the image of tossing your dog into your canoe...

... now you mention it:D