Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Canal at Rishton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/canal-at-rishton-65348.html)

alsteph 26-11-2013 07:05

Canal at Rishton

Does anyone know when the canal at Rishton will be open again. It says on the penninewaterways web site that the canal will be open again on 21st November but it wasn't. Then I rang them up and the girl told me it was opening last Saturday, but it didn't open. I cycled to the site on Sunday afternoon and it seemed there was still a lot of work to do. I rang again on Monday morning and they told me it was going to open on Monday lunchtime but it wasn't open. I cycled home (Great Harwood to Church) on Monday tea time and went to the site at Rishton. I climbed over a gate and found a seurity guy who new nothing but he thought it could be at least two more weeks but he wasn't sure. This stretch of the canal is used by hundreds of people every week and we need to know when it will open.

jaysay 26-11-2013 17:30

Re: Canal at Rishton

Quote:

Originally Posted by alsteph (Post 1085329)
Does anyone know when the canal at Rishton will be open again. It says on the penninewaterways web site that the canal will be open again on 21st November but it wasn't. Then I rang them up and the girl told me it was opening last Saturday, but it didn't open. I cycled to the site on Sunday afternoon and it seemed there was still a lot of work to do. I rang again on Monday morning and they told me it was going to open on Monday lunchtime but it wasn't open. I cycled home (Great Harwood to Church) on Monday tea time and went to the site at Rishton. I climbed over a gate and found a seurity guy who new nothing but he thought it could be at least two more weeks but he wasn't sure. This stretch of the canal is used by hundreds of people every week and we need to know when it will open.

When its safe to do so would be my guess:rolleyes:

Michael1954 26-11-2013 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1085404)
When its safe to do so would be my guess:rolleyes:

Spot on, John. I don't know why he thinks we would know when the engineers and workmen don't seem to know. We are not privy to inside information!

Neil 27-11-2013 02:33

2 stupid answers to a perfectly sensible question.
Why comment if you can't help the thread starter.

If you follow this link it takes you to the Canal And Rivers Trust website Northwest Waterways page North West Waterways

There are updates on the repair work at Rishton and others.

Here is a link to the latest update as of 27th November 03:33 http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4892.pdf
If you read it they are late with the update they mention in that one.

Neil 27-11-2013 02:39

If you open all the updates 1 to 6 so far they have adding pictures of the works and the damage they are repairing.

Gordon Booth 27-11-2013 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1085499)
Here is a link to the latest update as of 27th November 03:33 http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/4892.pdf

'The culvert liner has been designed and fabricated in Germany'!

A culvert liner? We have to go to Germany for one? The cost of shipping it here?

Isn't our technology up to making a culvert liner now? Is there anything left that we can design and make in this country? Is running corrupt banks all we're good at?

The answers are obviously No, No and Yes.

Neil 27-11-2013 15:00

Thats what I said last night when I read it. I can only assume they can make it to the correct quality and price they couldn't find locally.

jaysay 27-11-2013 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1085499)
2 stupid answers to a perfectly sensible question.
Why comment if you can't help the thread starter.

If you follow this link it takes you to the Canal And Rivers Trust website Northwest Waterways page North West Waterways

There are updates on the repair work at Rishton and others.

If you read it they are late with the update they mention in that one.

Having a bad day at work again Neil;):rolleyes:

Neil 27-11-2013 20:43

No I helped with his question instead of just making a pointless post.

The canal is open as a waterway but the man I asked tonight said as of Monday the towpath was still closed but the original plan was for completion by the end of November

Michael1954 28-11-2013 10:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1085593)
No I helped with his question instead of just making a pointless post.

The canal is open as a waterway but the man I asked tonight said as of Monday the towpath was still closed but the original plan was for completion by the end of November

It's a pity the thread starter hasn't been back on site since 8.06am 26 November to read your sensible post.

Gordon Booth 28-11-2013 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1085593)

So alsteph needs to buy a boat?

Neil 28-11-2013 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael1954 (Post 1085635)
It's a pity the thread starter hasn't been back on site since 8.06am 26 November to read your sensible post.

He may or may not have been on but I answered his question anyway.

Eric 28-11-2013 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1085553)
Is there anything left that we can design and make in this country?

Black puddings;)

alsteph 28-11-2013 20:08

I wasn't just asking the question for myself. I usually cycle along the towpath as it's a lot safer than cycling along Dunkenhalgh Way with all the traffic. I see several people walking to work along the towpath who are also trying to find a different route into Rishton. I usually see a guy walking to Rishton who comes from the centre of Accrington and when he asks me when the towpath will reopen I try to give him a proper answer.

alsteph 30-11-2013 14:31

Just to let people know, the canal tow path at Rishton is now open