Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Porter Brothers & Gardner Ltd (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/porter-brothers-and-gardner-ltd-65377.html)

Bob Dobson 02-12-2013 09:25

Porter Brothers & Gardner Ltd

I have been given a pen-knife inscribed with this Accrington company's name and the words 'V Ropes'. The firm isn't in the 1951 directory. Where were they based< When? What else did they make.??

MargaretR 02-12-2013 09:35

Re: Porter Brothers & Gardner Ltd

Porter Bros was a painting and decorating company who had premises on Warner St. As well as selling decorating materials they also employed men who did decorating.

MargaretR 02-12-2013 09:40

Whoops ! - found this
Porter Bros & Gardner Ltd., Great Harwood, Unit 1/Norden Court, Alan Ramsbottom Way

Retlaw 02-12-2013 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1086152)
I have been given a pen-knife inscribed with this Accrington company's name and the words 'V Ropes'. The firm isn't in the 1951 directory. Where were they based< When? What else did they make.??

There used to be an outlet for that firm on Bank St between Oak St & Black Abbey, they also sold calor gas cylinders as well, inside they had racks of industrial clothing, helmets, footware, and tools.

Barrie Yates 02-12-2013 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1086152)

I think you will find that V-ropes are the same as V-belts but which could be made up to whatever diameter was required by stapling the ends together - a specific stapling tool was required.

Bob Dobson 02-12-2013 16:32

Thanks for these posts.

Gremlin 02-12-2013 17:05

I think they had a place near the top of Bank street.
Gilbraith tankers had an account with them and when we wanted boots or any protective clothing we would get them there and signed for them.
The company paid later.

jaysay 02-12-2013 17:08

They also had a shop just higher up than Church Station, between the Palladium and the Station, only small but they sold things like hosepipes and willies waterproof clothing, racked the shop out when I worked for Pilkington's in the late sixties

Barrie Yates 02-12-2013 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1086179)
willies waterproof clothing,

Is this an upper class description of a condom:confused::D

jaysay 02-12-2013 17:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1086181)
Is this an upper class description of a condom:confused::D

:lol::lol::lol::rofl38::rofl38::rofl38:Missed that one Barrie what a difference and I makes instead of an e:D:D:D

DaveinGermany 02-12-2013 17:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1086179)
things like hosepipes and willies waterproof clothing,

Ah, one of those shops then! For the discerning Fetishist? :D

jaysay 02-12-2013 19:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1086189)
Ah, one of those shops then! For the discerning Fetishist? :D

Not back in the sixties Dave:D:D

susie123 02-12-2013 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 1086195)
Not back in the sixties Dave:D:D

They were around long ago but don't sound too pleasant:
Casanova in the 18th century was one of the first reported using "assurance caps" to prevent impregnating his mistresses.
From at least the 18th century, condom use was opposed in some legal, religious, and medical circles for essentially the same reasons that are given today: condoms reduce the likelihood of pregnancy, which some thought immoral or undesirable for the nation; they do not provide full protection against sexually transmitted infections, while belief in their protective powers was thought to encourage sexual promiscuity; and, they are not used consistently due to inconvenience, expense, or loss of sensation.
Despite some opposition, the condom market grew rapidly. In the 18th century, condoms were available in a variety of qualities and sizes, made from either linen treated with chemicals, or "skin" (bladder or intestine softened by treatment with sulfur and lye).[2]:94–5 They were sold at pubs, barbershops, chemist shops, open-air markets, and at the theater throughout Europe and Russia.[2]:90–2,97,104 They later spread to America, although in every place there were generally used only by the middle and upper classes, due to both expense and lack of sex education.
(from Wikipedia)

Gordon Booth 03-12-2013 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1086206)
They were sold at pubs, barbershops, chemist shops, open-air markets, and at the theater throughout Europe and Russia.

I spent a fortune on aspirins in the late 50's.
Strange, because I never had headaches!

Bob Dobson 03-12-2013 12:33

'Loss of sensation' referred to my Susie - I recall someone telling me it was like paddling with wellingtons on......Can we get back to Porter Brothers & Gardner ?