Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Clarks of Broad Oak Farm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/clarks-of-broad-oak-farm-65537.html)

Bob Dobson 07-01-2014 22:24

Re: Clarks of Broad Oak Farm

Mike Rothwell's fantastic book 'Industrial heritage - a guide to the industrial hertitage of Accrington' refers to Higher Mill as Adelphi,. and mentions the ruins of Lower Mill - both in Bash. One of our oldest industrial sites Date from 1790 at least - waterpowered. The chemical works closed 1913.

Morecambe Ex Pat 08-01-2014 08:38

My wife says that there were several such publications in her Mum's possessions but nobody in the family seems to know where they ended up.
Some of the family have referred to Lower Mill but nobody seems to know what type of mill it was, how big it was or when it became derelict.
Does the book mention the locations of Lower and Higher Mill?

Morecambe Ex Pat 08-01-2014 08:46

I know the railway cutting, behind Holland's Pies was filled in.
How far into Rising Bridge can you follow the old railway track bed?
Is it possible to walk the section which was once Baxenden station?

Gordon Booth 08-01-2014 09:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1089813)
Booth, that's the worst possible thing to say - the old ****** will be crowing with satisfaction now.

Bob, I didn't actually mean it.

I just wanted to reuse the word 'probalby'.

I even got the wrong smilie.

Bob Dobson 08-01-2014 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1089847)
Bob, I didn't actually mean it.

I just wanted to reuse the word 'probalby'.

I even got the wrong smilie.

Any more of this and you'll find yourself in detention

Bob Dobson 08-01-2014 16:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1089842)
My wife says that there were several such publications in her Mum's possessions but nobody in the family seems to know where they ended up.
Some of the family have referred to Lower Mill but nobody seems to know what type of mill it was, how big it was or when it became derelict.
Does the book mention the locations of Lower and Higher Mill?

The book even gives readings (SD760 272) for locating off OS maps. I cannot help any more as it is some years since I walked up there. I'd
like to go again, and might even take a stick of Spanish in a pop bottle.

Morecambe Ex Pat 09-01-2014 08:58

I was never allowed any further than the factory bottoms. We lived on Higher Antley Street in the 60's and my Dad told us that Icky the Bare Bummed Fire Bobby lived up there and he would eat us. Of course I knew he was telling porkies, he didn't want my sister and me mixing with the pop swigging, Spanish munching yobs, who frequented the area.

I don't have a paper OS map of the area, the online ones put those co-ordinates by the side of Kings Highway, above Winfields so that is confusing. I will wait until I next visit Accrington and have a scout round.

Thanks for the information.

Gordon Booth 09-01-2014 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1089963)
he didn't want my sister and me mixing with the pop swigging, Spanish munching yobs, who frequented the area.

Your father was a wise man. Probably knew Bob.

Morecambe Ex Pat 09-01-2014 11:54

I think it warrants a visit to Accrington, when the weather gets warmer and a walk starting at the top of St. James Street to see how far into Rising Bridge we can get.

gpick24 09-01-2014 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1089982)
I think it warrants a visit to Accrington, when the weather gets warmer and a walk starting at the top of St. James Street to see how far into Rising Bridge we can get.

Isn`t that the Priestly Clough walk?

dotti34 09-01-2014 19:03

Hi Morecambe Ex Pat. It appears that my other half 'shares' a cousin with you through marriage. Knew your wife's grandma many years ago and although don't think we can be of any help with your queries am sending you a p/m re contact.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-01-2014 07:16

Thanks for the PM dotti34 - reply sent.

I thought that Priestley Clough was accessed from Riley Street as the railway trackbed was not a footpath back when the Spanish munching yobs were terrorising little old ladies.
I walked up there but my memories are very hazy although I assume the footpath and railway met at some point, maybe at the back of King George's playing fields..

gpick24 10-01-2014 07:48

St james street is mentioned on the route of the walk -
Accrington: Priestly Clough and Hyndburn Greenway | Get Walking Keep Walking

I`ve only been that way once, but there was an accy web outing a few months back that walked that route, starting in rising bridge. There are a few pics in the today in pictures thread that might interest you.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...res-61576.html

Page 320.

Morecambe Ex Pat 10-01-2014 13:16

The walk starts at St. James Street but Riley St. is near to what we always knew as the 'Flat Iron' on factory bottoms. Next to the old Highams Mill which was demolished a few years back. I was confused, when looking at Google Street View, to see Highams Mill still standing - they made a good job of building that again - looks just like the old one.
Not really sure where on the route those photos were taken but all will be revealed when we visit. We are due to visit Accy a few times this year and it will be nice to have a walk around some of my old haunts as well as taking a hike up to Rising Bridge.

anzac 11-01-2014 14:15

1 Attachment(s)
This is from a large scale map of the area dated 1911