Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Holiday (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/holiday-66367.html)

Accyexplorer 01-08-2014 17:34

Holiday

I'm planning a little holiday for me and our peg, I'm just wondering as a asthmatic should I avoid the places that are described in the brochures as "breathtaking"?

gpick24 01-08-2014 17:40

Re: Holiday

No, I think you should definitely go to one of them.:D:bootyshak

Margaret Pilkington 01-08-2014 17:56

Yes, me too. I think it is good to get a little breathless at times. Just don't forget your inhaler :D

DaveinGermany 01-08-2014 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1111907)
the places that are described in the brochures as "breathtaking"?

It just means the place is full of oxygen thieves! ;) :D

cashman 01-08-2014 21:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1111910)
It just means the place is full of oxygen thieves! ;) :D

Or in other words scousers.:D:D:D

DaveinGermany 02-08-2014 07:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1111953)
Or in other words scousers.:D:D:D

Oh that's rich! You just wind yer neck in you! :D

Flamin' lippy Woolies! :D

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 15:34

Looks like its Rome or brussels, I want to go to Rome but 'misery' wants to go to brussels :(, either way i'll be taking the inhaler :D
I'll check the ratio of oxygen thiefs/scoucers to natives when we decide :D.

Less 02-08-2014 15:43

Re: Re: Holiday

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1112030)
:(, either way i'll be taking the inhaler :D

You call your partner 'misery' yet complain as you do?

Thank your blessings, a chance of a holiday & someone willing to put up with your moaning!

cashman 02-08-2014 16:32

Quote:

Looks like its Rome or brussels, I want to go to Rome but 'misery' wants to go to brussels :(, either way i'll be taking the inhaler :D

Was in Rome in Jan 13, very nice but yeh need to have won the lottery,:eek: All capitals tend to be expensive, but Brussels is no were near as expensive as Rome or Athens, imho. count yer blessings.:D:D

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1112033)
You call your partner 'misery' yet complain as you do?

Thank your blessings, a chance of a holiday & someone willing to put up with your moaning!

"Misery" is nothing compared to what she calls me for my whining less, and of course I thankful of the chance to get away I'm also thankful that our peg is tagging along..... honestly ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1112040)
Was in Rome in Jan 13, very nice but yeh need to have won the lottery,:eek: All capitals tend to be expensive, but Brussels is no were near as expensive as Rome or Athens, imho. count yer blessings.:D:D

Yes, I heard you need a second mortgage when visiting Rome but I want to see the Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum of course....I think it'll be Brussels though to be honest......blessings are counted ;)

DaveinGermany 02-08-2014 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1112048)
I think it'll be Brussels though to be honest

Well, at least you'll get to see the sprouts. :rolleyes:

cashman 02-08-2014 17:58

Years since i was in Brussels but suppose the mannequin pis will still be at it.:D

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1112050)
Well, at least you'll get to see the sprouts. :rolleyes:

As long as they're not the genetically modified type D, I'm not against GM foods though I've just finished cooking a lovely leg of salmon :D

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1112054)
Years since i was in Brussels but suppose the mannequin pis will still be at it.:D

Yeah,I hear it's not only the fish that pee in the water in Brussels ;)

cashman 02-08-2014 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1112048)
"Misery" is nothing compared to what she calls me for my whining less, and of course I thankful of the chance to get away I'm also thankful that our peg is tagging along..... honestly ;)

Yes, I heard you need a second mortgage when visiting Rome but I want to see the Sistine Chapel and the Colosseum of course....I think it'll be Brussels though to be honest......blessings are counted ;)

The Colosseum needs a grant doing i reckon, The trevi fountains i think are better to see, if yeh can afford a drink in the nearbye cafes.:D when yeh goin to Brussels anyway? lol

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1112059)
The Colosseum needs a grant doing i reckon, The trevi fountains i think are better to see, if yeh can afford a drink in the nearbye cafes.:D when yeh goin to Brussels anyway? lol

It's comments like that C that make me call our peg names like "misery" :( :D

davebtelford 02-08-2014 19:17

Quote:

If I was thinking of going to Brussels I'd go to Bruges instead.

Morecambe Ex Pat 02-08-2014 21:10

Keep out of Charleroi, they really do hate Brits there after our (and German) football yobs smashed up their beautiful town square.

Eric 02-08-2014 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1112081)
Keep out of Charleroi, they really do hate Brits there after our (and German) football yobs smashed up their beautiful town square.

Seem to remember the French and the Germans made a real mess of the place in '14;)

Gremlin 02-08-2014 22:31

get thisen off to cleethorpes for a couple of days in a manky caravan and save thisen sum brass lad.
they dunt spek proper us words tother side o choppy channel.

gud norf sea air on theast coast of englishland wi do thi world a gud.

thonly gud thing bout Brussels is little lad wi is tackle out, meks you proud to bi a proper chap.
last time i was in place diff fell out mi chara. rough paved roads to blame.

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by davebtelford (Post 1112069)
If I was thinking of going to Brussels I'd go to Bruges instead.

It's a possabilty d, I got told Bruge can be a bit dull though.
It looks a fabulous city, And it doesnt have a nasty vegetable named after it......

...And there's Brewery tour :alright:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat (Post 1112081)

I'll add that to my Rome defence :D
I'll be sure to leave my union-jack Tshirt and shorts at home,Thanks for the heads up :D

Accyexplorer 02-08-2014 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1112085)
get thisen off to cleethorpes for a couple of days in a manky caravan and save thisen sum brass lad.
they dunt spek proper us words tother side o choppy channel.

gud norf sea air on theast coast of englishland wi do thi world a gud.

thonly gud thing bout Brussels is little lad wi is tackle out, meks you proud to bi a proper chap.
last time i was in place diff fell out mi chara. rough paved roads to blame.

:lol: thi might not spek proper but thi got Brewery tour G :D

Morecambe Ex Pat 03-08-2014 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1112083)
Seem to remember the French and the Germans made a real mess of the place in '14;)

As I recall, we went there in 2001 the year after England had beaten Germany 1-0 in the European Cup. We knew nothing of football and it took a while for us to discover why we were treated like outcasts.
We were ignored in a bar so asked the barman what the problem was and he showed us some pictures of the aftermath and quite frankly, I don't blame him for feeling the way he did. We only stayed 2 days out of a planned week and fortunately we were travelling free so hadn't paid for hotels in advance. We caught a train to France and had a great time after that but the experience left me with no intention of ever returning the Belgium.

Lost in Cornwall 03-08-2014 07:25

Had a great weekend in Bruges last October. Wouldn't mind going back sometime.

cashman 03-08-2014 08:41

Bruges is certainly the place i prefer in Belgium.well worth going imho.:)

westendlass 03-08-2014 10:20

Bruges is a lovely city with plenty to see, very historic, I'd definitely go back given the chance. I stayed in Rome in 2000 and it was fantastic. I think though, that this time of the year it will be heaving with tourists and hot and the air pollution from all the traffic probably quite high. I went in November when the weather was warm and the bulk of the tourists had gone. We didn't have to queue for the Colosseum or Sistine Chapel. Its one giant open air museum, if I went again I'd go out of season. Hope you get to experience it!

DaveinGermany 03-08-2014 12:05

The Colosseum ain't all it's cracked up to be, went there the other week, the pizza was soggy & I think they did the chips in olive oil, as to the cost I think they still thought they were charging in Lira! If we go for an Italian again I think we'll go to Corleones instead. :eek: :D

cashman 03-08-2014 12:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1112126)
The Colosseum ain't all it's cracked up to be, went there the other week, the pizza was soggy & I think they did the chips in olive oil, as to the cost I think they still thought they were charging in Lira! If we go for an Italian again I think we'll go to Corleones instead. :eek: :D

True i thought it was poor, they weren't even sacrificing any christians,to make it interesting.:D

Eric 03-08-2014 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1112086)
I'll be sure to leave my union-jack Tshirt and shorts at home,Thanks for the heads up :D

Good idea ... wear something with a maple leaf on it ... always goes over well in Europe:D Oh, and use "eh" at least once in every sentence.;) About 20 years ago, I was in a small town near Delft, wearing my team Canada shirt. Went into a bar, and found out that my money was no good.:D

DaveinGermany 03-08-2014 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1112155)
About 20 years ago, I was in a small town near Delft, wearing my team Canada shirt. Went into a bar, and found out that my money was no good.:D

Happens quite often in Holland does that, a couple of friends & I where over for the week-end fishing one time & we had the same experience, the Dutch have long memories & teach the next generation their history. :)

Barrie Yates 08-08-2014 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric (Post 1112155)
Good idea ... wear something with a maple leaf on it ... always goes over well in Europe:D Oh, and use "eh" at least once in every sentence.;) About 20 years ago, I was in a small town near Delft, wearing my team Canada shirt. Went into a bar, and found out that my money was no good.:D

You would certainly be feted in Dieppe - Canadians and Brits were very popular there - strange that the International Hotel didn't have a German flag amongst all the other flags - they have got very long memories.

westendlass 09-08-2014 09:10

Me and a friend hired a car in Malta when we stopped in a little fishing village to read a map. An old man came over to see if we wanted any help and, on hearing our accents, asked if we were British. When we told him we were he stuck his thumbs up and said 'Your the best' ! We were a bit puzzled but I think that was something to do with WW2. Very friendly folk, the Maltese.

westendlass 09-08-2014 09:19

By the way, couldn't say the same of the French. I got the distinct impression that many of the people we came across were quite rude, even hostile. Brittany is a very beautiful part of the country but I wouldn't apply that to the people we came across. They can stuff their onions where the monkey shoves his nuts! :tongueout

DaveinGermany 09-08-2014 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1112783)
By the way, couldn't say the same of the French.

Probably because seeing Brits reminds them how often we've kicked their arses & on other occasions saved same said Gallic scrawny arses from certain noisy neighbours! It's hard to be properly thankful when you're so arrogant. ;)

Not like us modest Brits! :D

westendlass 09-08-2014 09:40

Ha, ha, just don't mention the war! :D

DaveinGermany 09-08-2014 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1112785)
Ha, ha, just don't mention the war! :D

So many to choose from, any one in particular? :)

Eric 09-08-2014 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1112733)
they have got very long memories.

Nowt wrong wi' that ... and there's lots to remember.