Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   TV interference - (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/tv-interference-68589.html)

MargaretR 14-10-2016 11:41

TV interference -

As an oldie, I recall viewing was often spoiled by 'white snow' on the screen caused by electrical appliances not fitted with 'suppressors' - even those used by neighbours.

I am experiencing a new type of interference - the screen and sound shut off, and the remote doesn't work. You may say that a neighbour has used their remote which has caused it, but when it happens during the day when my close neighbours are out, I suspect there is some other cause.

I need to unplug the TV and plug it in again. This is burdensome because of my 'age disabilities' - it takes much effort- Twice in 3 days is a real nuisance.

What is causing it?

Gremlin 14-10-2016 11:56

Re: TV interference -

Modern TV,s. turn off automatically after a set if no controls have been touched.
It's to make sure it doesn't run too long if you go out and forget to turn it off.
It can be disabled in settings.

Maybe that's the problem you experience.

gpick24 14-10-2016 12:05

If it's gone to sleep then it should come back on with the remote, are the batteries ok?

gpick24 14-10-2016 12:09

Only time I've had an electrical device stop working and only start again after disconnecting from power was because of static build up ( this is what I was told by the electronics guy in maintenance where I used to work ).

Neil 14-10-2016 12:31

TV remotes are infrared so your neighbours won't interfere with yours through the walls

MargaretR 14-10-2016 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1179058)
Modern TV,s. turn off automatically after a set if no controls have been touched.
It's to make sure it doesn't run too long if you go out and forget to turn it off.
It can be disabled in settings.

Maybe that's the problem you experience.

This may well be the cause - thank you - I have been using remote only - maybe I will have to manually switch it off sometimes.

MargaretR 14-10-2016 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpick24 (Post 1179059)
If it's gone to sleep then it should come back on with the remote, are the batteries ok?

The batteries are fine - recent change

Barrie Yates 14-10-2016 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1179069)
This may well be the cause - thank you - I have been using remote only - maybe I will have to manually switch it off sometimes.

Switching off by the remote is fine, you don't have to manually switch off.

Retlaw 14-10-2016 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 1179069)

Margaret, all electrical appliances except your fridge, freezer and leky clock should be unpluged when your not using them, especially TV's and the like, they are still drawing power and culd start a fire, and you don't want that happening when your getting your beauty sleep. I have recently had to dismantle and clean all the connections in our remotes, the dragon was continuaally cleaning them with them wet wipes out of a packet, I call em her oily rags, they were clogged up, wi the gunge of them, now the remotes are back in working order, and she's bin towd to use a proper duster.

RainbowSix 15-10-2016 06:44

What make and model of TV and how old is it?

It may be a common fault that goes in them, a certain capacitor dries out and stops working after the TV has warmed up etc.

Gremlin 15-10-2016 11:05

Not that is concerns Margaret's problem but it may be of help to someone.
I had an Hitachi flat screen fitted on my bedroom wall.
Every morning at 3 AM the on/off light flashes blue for a few minutes.
It doesn't matter how long the TV has been switched off, sometime days but it's still 3AM.
I finally solved it by going into settings then more settings and disabling the automatic software update.
The manufacturer or whoever must send a signal to it every day to check its up to date.
Big Brother is amongst us.

OK I could have covered it up but being of an inquisitive nature I wanted to solve the problem.

Studio25 16-10-2016 20:02

Does it happen only during bad weather?

The old "snow" problem isn't present on modern TVs. It was caused by RF interference from electrical devices adding to the received signal from Winter Hill. Because your TV was analogue, it didn't interpret or decode what it was receiving, it just displayed the signal it was receiving, interference and all.

These days, it's a digital signal, which is either on or off. You might occasionally get a corrupted frame, which results in the moving part of the programme looking like it's gone through a 1970s Top Of The Pips pixellation filter, but you don't tend to get random "snow".

If the reception is bad enough for long enough, there's not enough salvageable data and so your TV may just go blank and silent. It depends on the software, mine freezes with a still image.

Restless 17-10-2016 16:41

Sounds like a fault triggered by the auto shut off mode. Usually can be disabled in settings.

As mentioned common faults are usually referenced across the internet. Google search using key words- your tv model, manufacturer and the actual fault and you might find a common discussion on your problem.

My friend had a similar problem(having to turn off at plug) with his Hitachi. He had to get it fixed eventually and the guy told him the TV(from Argos) wasn't manufactured by Hitachi but rather a company situated in the middle east, diagnosed by looking at the mainboard.

Fault incidentally was the main board.

Is yours a "smart TV" cause some of these TVs have crap Operating Systems(like the Hitachi) and when the os freezes its most likely your remote won't work....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

MargaretR 17-10-2016 20:51

It has happened again today.
I lack the expertise to alter the settings but I have improvised a solution.
The TV plug is now in a remote control plug in device, so I can interrupt the power to the TV without physically unplugging and replugging.

Gordon Booth 17-10-2016 20:58

Brilliant, MargaretR.
No use coming up with complicated technical solutions for us 'oldies'.
Not when a simple one works!