Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Martholme viaduct path update (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/martholme-viaduct-path-update-68737.html)

hyndburnblog 14-12-2016 09:02

Martholme viaduct path update

Hi, has anyone got any information as to where we are at with the path across Martholme viaduct, I am writing an article on it for Hyndburn

Regards,Geoff.

Gremlin 14-12-2016 11:03

Re: Martholme viaduct path update

I suggest you contact the owner of the adjacent land on the Padiham side of the viaduct, Mr Phillip Hanson (or Richard Hanson who is on Read Council) at Dunkirk Farm Read.
He has owned the old railway track bed since about 1970 and it cuts through his property and caravan park.

hyndburnblog 15-12-2016 08:14

Hi, thanks, I have contacted the Caravan site owner, The Read council site seems to be down at the moment!

Regards,Geoff.

Accyexplorer 16-12-2016 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyndburnblog (Post 1183014)
Hi, has anyone got any information as to where we are at with the path across Martholme viaduct, I am writing an article on it for Hyndburn

Regards,Geoff.

Yes,I was informed that due to maintenance costs,it'll never be reopened.
If you wish to contact the caravan park you could try emailing them:-

[email protected]

Gremlin 16-12-2016 17:41

I'm a very good friend of the Hanson family and ran the caravan park for 11 years.

Phillip Hanson will fight tooth and nail to keep the path through his land from becoming a public footpath.

taddy 16-12-2016 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1183134)
I'm a very good friend of the Hanson family and ran the caravan park for 11 years.

Phillip Hanson will fight tooth and nail to keep the path through his land from becoming a public footpath.

Why?

cashman 16-12-2016 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1183135)
Why?

Would think thats rather obvious taddy? I would,as would most people,if twas our land.

Gremlin 16-12-2016 18:54

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by taddy (Post 1183135)
Why?

Because people pay 40 or 50 thousand pounds to have a holiday home on the park with nice river views and some homes back up to the old track bed which is about roof height. They bought the homes on a promise of a quiet peaceful place to relax and they will be very upset when walkers come past staring down at them and maybe the odd drug runner on his scramble bike hurtles past. After all he has owned the line since about 1950 and spent a lot of money on the place. He also thinks that if he allows the path to come through his land and people have their peace disturbed they may sue him for false representation after promising a peaceful place to stay.

That a picture to see what the path is like now.

taddy 16-12-2016 18:54

Understandable! but, if there has been a long standing right of way through the property then the right of way should be upheld no matter who/whom now owns the land.

Gremlin 16-12-2016 18:59

I don't think the right of way extends to the old rail-track bed through the farm otherwise there wouldn't be a need for continuous action to try to get it open.
There wasn't a right of way when the rail company owned it and its had gates and signs saying private land for as long as I remember.

The right of way runs through the farm yard coming from Whalley road. Mr Hanson made gates and signs pointing it out years ago.

taddy 16-12-2016 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1183141)
Because people pay 40 or 50 thousand pounds to have a holiday home on the park with nice river views and some homes back up to the old track bed which is about roof height. They bought the homes on a promise of a quiet peaceful place to relax and they will be very upset when walkers come past staring down at them and maybe the odd drug runner on his scramble bike hurtles past. After all he has owned the line since about 1950 and spent a lot of money on the place. He also thinks that if he allows the path to come through his land and people have their peace disturbed they may sue him for false representation after promising a peaceful place to stay.

That a picture to see what the path is like now.

This sounds very much like when a certain petrolhead known as J.Clarkson bought a lighthouse on the Isle of Man and then attempted to shut down a long standing footpath that ran alongside the property.

Are we going back to the day's of the Lords of the manor who have and the plebs who shall not have?

taddy 16-12-2016 19:09

Like the photo by the way

Gremlin 16-12-2016 19:16

1 Attachment(s)
We will have to wait for the court hearing Taddy. There are a lot of other people on the Padiham side of the viaduct who own the section of the track bed at the bottom of their land plus Mr Gee who owns the old Simon station to use as his coal and wood business. They are all against selling their bit of land.
There are bridges to be rebuilt which the rail company dismantled when they closed the line. This argument has been going on for many years. 20 odd to my knowledge.
People do manage to get on to Mr Hansons land and attempt to pull down the signs.

Accyexplorer 16-12-2016 19:59

Last time I spoke with Philip Hanson he assured me he wants no public right of way through his land.He said "people buy these homes as being peaceful and tranquil and I don't want that spoiling by having a public footpath running through it"....

...He may of changed his mind but I doubt it.

Gremlin 16-12-2016 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accyexplorer (Post 1183150)
Last time I spoke with Philip Hanson he assured me he wants no public right of way through his land.He said "people buy these homes as being peaceful and tranquil and I don't want that spoiling by having a public footpath running through it"....

...He may of changed his mind but I doubt it.

He has certainly not changed his mind Accyexplorer.
We had a drink together in Read Con two weeks ago and as usual the subject cropped up.
He's still adamant it won't happen while he's still around and Richard his son agrees.