Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   The Lady with no hands (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/the-lady-with-no-hands-34122.html)

magpie 11-10-2007 16:04

The Lady with no hands

does anyone remember or have any information on:

Agnes Rhodes Wildman... she lived in the Barnfield area of Accrington:

This is the lady that had her hands cut off by her step-father ( John Whalley) 1923 at the time they lived on Victoria Street Accrington:

Her mother was called Maud:

thank you:

Lilly 11-10-2007 16:06

Re: The Lady with no hands

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 480472)

This is the lady that had her hands cut off by her step-father ( John Whalley) 1923 at the time they lived on Victoria Street Accrington:

thank you:

How awful. Why did he cut her hands off?:confused:

Mancie 11-10-2007 16:17

I remember my mum telling me about the incident, terrible thing.
I was told the girl was pushing her arms onto the underneath of a table to stem the bleeding.
That's all I know

magpie 11-10-2007 16:30

Her step-father cut of the little girl's hands ( she was five at the time) the man had been falling out with the little girl's mother... he took the Agnes away from school and then in an act of total madness he cut of her hands , then tried to kill himself: the later he failed and got life in prision:

I am doing some research into the case... I am looking for stories and also if anyone's got any old pictures of victoria street Accrington that would show number 12:

West Ender 11-10-2007 17:26

I remember my dad telling me about this, many years ago. Dad was 15 when it happened. He said the child was found under the table, which agrees with what you said, Mancie.

flashy 11-10-2007 17:28

pm sent magpie

flashy 11-10-2007 17:41

Maud was a widow when she got hitched to John Whalley, her first husband, joseph wildman, died in scotland on munitions in november 1918. Their daughter Agnes rhodes wildman, was just a few months old at the time of her unfortunate fathers death - too young to miss or remember him, she was less than three years old when her mother tied the knot with her future step-father.

flashy 11-10-2007 17:54

i'm not writing the whole story out but basically....

4 years later after rowing with his wife...knowing she intended leaving him, john whalley took agnes out of st marys school in woodnook, battered her teacher, took agnes home and chopped off her hands at the wrists...on arriving at victoria street pc Maudsley described the scene as 'an appalling spectacle' it was no exaggeration, there on the hearthrug, between the table and the fireplace, little agnes rhodes wildman rested on her knees and elbows. there were two pools of blood in front of her. she was fully conscious and tried, unsuccessfully, to get to her feet, it was then that two constables realised that both the childs hands had been completely severed at the wrists, they were lying under the table less than a yard away.

katex 11-10-2007 18:02

All I know Magpie is that she was living in the same residential home as my mum, 'Whinside' in Whalley Road. My mum died in 1995 and Agnes was still there. Unfortunately, Whinside has now reverted to a private residence, and no idea what happened to her.

Sure the ex-owners have further information for you .. just see them now and then and could probably get contact details, but don't like if you know what I mean.

Think the Observer ran an article on her a good few years ago when she was there.

flashy 11-10-2007 18:02

in the kitchen they found john whalley unconcious with his shoulders on a gas boiler and his legs on the stepstone. He was bleeding from a gash in his throat and in his mouth was a flexible gas tube attatched to the pipe supplying the gas boiler

it was noted later that the gash in whalleys throat though five inches long was not very deep and somehow avoided the windpipe and any arteries, the sincerity of the suicide attempts is inevitably called into question by such circumstances. It is noticeable generally how all too many ruthless and efficient killers subsequently become inept and blundering when attempting suicide

agnes' mother was at work at the time all this happened

Wynonie Harris 11-10-2007 18:07

I remember my old fella telling me about this...he was about the same age as Agnes and his family lived on nearby Marsden Street at the time. He recalled that when he went dancing in the thirties, he would sometimes have a dance with her and she always wore gloves over her artificial hands.

flashy 11-10-2007 18:34

on thursday 8th of november 1923 the magistrates finally heard the charges against john whalley at a special sitting...feloniously wounding sarah ann horbury (the teacher) at 12 victoria street accrington, by means of a coal shovel with intent therby to murder her and feloniously, unlawfully and wilfully causing grievous bodily harm, with intent to maim, to his stepdaughter Agnes Rhodes Wildman, aged 5 years, by severing both her hands with a razor.

widespread, countrywide interest in the case had been generated and nearly £5,000 has been subscribed to aid Agnes in the mayor's fund.

on saturday, 8th of december 1923, at the manchester assizes, john whalley pleaded guilty to both of the charges against him....

mr justice branson chose his words carefully and delivered them with deep feeling and emotion

the story of your offence is the most horrible to which i have ever listened. A cold, calculated, fiendish attempt to be avenged on your wife through this unfotunate little girl. I am afraid that no punishment that i can inflict upon you is adequate, There is a maximum i can give and i will, you will do penal servitude for life.

flashy 11-10-2007 18:39

it was not, of course, the final chapter for little Agnes Rhodes Wildman. For the rest of her life she had to 'get by' on a day-to-day basis. She married and lived to a good age, finally residing in the Barnfiled area of the town. Local children knew her as 'the lady with no hands' though its unlikely any of them knew the true story behind her disability. Her sufferings and frustrations over the years can only be imagined but her indomitable courage, first to the for in those dark days of autumn 1923, shines like a beacon down through the years.

flashy 11-10-2007 18:40

can i stop typing now please?

magpie 11-10-2007 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 480497)
pm sent magpie

Cheers sent one back ...

to you to me to you to me :)

lindsay ormerod 11-10-2007 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 480520)
can i stop typing now please?

Where did you find the info ? (if you don't mind me asking)

flashy 11-10-2007 18:49

i have a book here called 'foul deeds and suspicious deaths in Blackburn & Hyndburn'....by Steve Greenhalgh

i like reading about criminology and psychology

magpie 11-10-2007 18:52

Thanks all please keep the information coming... :-)

I want to cover this case in full detail: again thanks

cmonstanley 11-10-2007 19:22

do you not think you should ask permission of her living relatives it might be bit sensitive. i know she has living relatives in accrington ..:confused::confused:

flashy 11-10-2007 19:28

this came from a book, so its widely spread

BERNADETTE 11-10-2007 19:30

That is a horrible story.

flashy 11-10-2007 19:31

it is Bernie, but unfortunately its also a true story

lindsay ormerod 11-10-2007 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 480525)
i have a book here called 'foul deeds and suspicious deaths in Blackburn & Hyndburn'....by Steve Greenhalgh

i like reading about criminology and psychology

Thanks; it's best if you credit your sources.

BERNADETTE 11-10-2007 19:51

Yes I just find things like this hard to believe. How on earth do you cope with something like that? It must leave mental scars

flashy 11-10-2007 19:53

i suppose its not a case of coping, its a case of HAVING to cope, and not give up

BERNADETTE 11-10-2007 19:58

Very true shows a very determined character

magpie 11-10-2007 20:08

From what I have read and people that I have talked to... Agnes coped remarkably well:
Agnes and her mum were well supported by the local town. The town shocked and horrified by this tragic doing.
The step father John Whalley got life in prison ( just how long he did I am not sure) but its nothing compared to what Agnes and her mum had to face over the years... not to mention the other people involved:
This is a true story, showing remarkable courage from a little girl and her mother… its covered in the Accrington Observer and Times and various books…

lindsay ormerod 11-10-2007 20:17

My Dad recalls hearing about this but it is very vague; he lived in Accrington at the time; he is 70 now. Hope this gives us some kind of perspective.

junetta 11-10-2007 20:42

Such an awful story but very interesting. It would be good to know more about her life.

WillowTheWhisp 11-10-2007 21:27

That is such an appalling story. How could anyone be so cruel? It's amazing that the child didn't bleed to death. What an awful sight for the PC.

Atarah 13-10-2007 12:37

Do you know, I never knew she had married. Atarah

joan walsh 06-11-2008 23:24

My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.

magpie 07-11-2008 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by joan walsh (Post 648202)
My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.

There is already a press folder about this, at Accrington Library :

Just ask in the local studies section... Magpie

SUSANFEDDEN 05-08-2009 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 480478)
Her step-father cut of the little girl's hands ( she was five at the time) the man had been falling out with the little girl's mother... he took the Agnes away from school and then in an act of total madness he cut of her hands , then tried to kill himself: the later he failed and got life in prision:

I am doing some research into the case... I am looking for stories and also if anyone's got any old pictures of victoria street Accrington that would show number 12:

i was brought up on victoria st i remember my parents talking bout girl wi no hands i also remwmber bout vthem talking bout a body of a girl who who was found under a bridge on nuttal st

BLACKCATWHITEFEET 21-10-2009 19:58

This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.

Nell 22-10-2009 12:52

My neighbour used to be her neighbour when it happened. She met her again when she had grown up, she worked at a jewellers and Agnes came in with her fiancee to buy a ring - thats how she remembered her. It was very sad, but her strength of character shone through.

s.pollard 07-08-2010 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLACKCATWHITEFEET (Post 755470)
This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.

She was my dads cousin

Deborah 04-05-2011 12:03

Susan, My nana was brought up in Victoria St and said she used to walk to school with Agnes, she was older about 12 years old when it happened and she told me the story much later about what happened, She said she and Agnes wrote a xmas card to each other every year until her death. My nanas maiden name was Jenny Haworth and i think she said she lived at 5 Victoria St. I later after her death at 97yrs (my nana) researched and got copy of Accrington local paper of the year it occured to see how much of Nans memory was true and found out it was the truth. It had huge impact on nan as her mum died a few weeks after this happened as well.

maxthecollie 21-06-2011 14:51

Simon Entwistle the ghost story teller tells a tale of this when he does his talks on murders and mysteries

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 16:07

Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.

Gobbiner17 21-06-2011 16:36

I remember seeing him, but know nothing about him.

jaysay 21-06-2011 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 913381)
Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.

I remember him Tealeaf, always had a plaster where is nose was, always felt sorry for the guy

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 17:35

I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?

jaysay 21-06-2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 913406)
I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?

I'll bet MargaretR will know

Tealeaf 21-06-2011 17:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 913409)
I'll bet MargaretR will know

Yeah...she will probably say he was attacked in the Great Flying Saucer Invaison of Accy in 1936 (all records of which are still hidden from the public).

katex 21-06-2011 19:14

We have discussed this gentleman before, but don't think we came to any conclusion :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-42315-3.html

#52 onwards.

Wynonie Harris 21-06-2011 20:03

My mum told me he'd been in some sort of industrial accident at Bulloughs, I think.

jaysay 22-06-2011 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 913457)
My mum told me he'd been in some sort of industrial accident at Bulloughs, I think.

Ya know Wyn I think my mum said he had some form of Cancer, but we're very unlikely to find out the truth now

magpie 30-07-2011 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 913371)
Simon Entwistle the ghost story teller tells a tale of this when he does his talks on murders and mysteries

yes he does... however I think he shows people round the wrong house... because the house where this happend was knocked down many years ago.... and he talks about standing in the yard where it took place and so on.... I did email him to tell him his facts were wrong ( he never got back)

Alan Varrechia 30-07-2011 19:21

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Journalists do it all the time. :D:D:D:D

Retlaw 30-07-2011 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 922440)
yes he does... however I think he shows people round the wrong house... because the house where this happend was knocked down many years ago.... and he talks about standing in the yard where it took place and so on.... I did email him to tell him his facts were wrong ( he never got back)

He is pig ignorant, and a liar, I've challenged him on a couple of his tales about Accrington's past, like you I got no reply. There are still some that believe in Santa, and that the moon is made of Green Cheese.
Retlaw.

Jim Procter 31-07-2011 10:56

With regard to the man with no face--I wonder if he was the same man that I knew.Iserved my time at Howard and Bulloughs just after the war and as part of my training I spent some time in the Turning Shop learning about Lathes etc. The man with no face worked there and I worked with him for a while.He used to chew Tobacco,I remember he cut me a plug off and told me to chew it as it would keep the smell of the coolant off. Like the young mug I was at the time I did as I was told. It was the most horrible thing that I ever tasted in my life.But I will always remember tha man with no face. Has as been said before he had no nose or lips and his eyes were just sockets, How he came by his injuries I never knew and I dont remember his name.

Bee 10-09-2011 12:30

That is a very scary, dirty story.

Gordon Booth 10-09-2011 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bee (Post 932487)
That is a very scary, dirty story.

Please choose your words more carefully, Bee.
The most likely explanation is that his face was burned off in an aircraft or a tank during WW2,fighting for us. It happened to a lot of men, they didn't have any face protection from fire.
If you're refering to the lady, that's also a tragic story, not a dirty one.

Bee 10-09-2011 14:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 932492)
Please choose your words more carefully, Bee.
The most likely explanation is that his face was burned off in an aircraft or a tank during WW2,fighting for us. It happened to a lot of men, they didn't have any face protection from fire.
If you're refering to the lady, that's also a tragic story, not a dirty one.

Well Gordon Booth it's dirty by blood and razors (which was used to cut her hands off) and being scary by her hands being cut off.
:hesoff: :hesoff:

Bob Dobson 10-09-2011 17:47

I too think that 'dirty' is an inappropriate word for this story. The word 'sad' comes to mind.

Bee 16-09-2011 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by magpie (Post 480472)

thank you:

That stupid moronic man. He should've been put on the electric chair for doing that :mad: :mad:. Also, the child should've been taken off him, he's not fit for being a stepdad :mad: :mad:.

Bee 16-09-2011 21:32

Such a sad, scary story.

groove 22-10-2011 12:29

Groove thinks that if such an event happened today with the media coverage etc, the perpetrator would have been as notorious as Ian Huntley or Brady etc.

Eric 26-10-2011 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 913381)

I remember this guy ... used to see him where the buses left for Clayton ... even earlier than the 60s 'cause I remember my mom giving me a good talking to for staring at him ...

swerve 11-06-2015 16:50

Hi All,

I have just worked out that Sarah Ann Horbury is my great great great Aunt small world I will have to get the book to read the story

EMargaret 03-05-2021 07:28

I remember a girl that had her hands cut of by her father. They lived in Pendle Street and were called Stephenson. She always wore a cape