Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   The Worthington Rigby Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/the-worthington-rigby-family-52253.html)

Bob Dobson 13-03-2010 21:04

The Worthington Rigby Family

My grandfather was called Robert Worthington Rigby. he lived in Accrington 1877-1946. he had brothers Arthur,Doctor,Herbert, all named Worthington Rigby, and two sisters, Grace and Elizabeth hannah. The family lived in Marsden St. It appears likely that the lads got thjeir middle name becauise they were fathered by James Worthington, who at that time was not married to Mrs Rigby.

I have recently come across people who are related to me through the Wiorthington Rigbys, and wonder if there are any more folk in the area who are descended from the Rigbys.

accypete 03-06-2012 20:52

Re: The Worthington Rigby Family

Hi Bob I found some Rigbys whilst checking out Guinanes they were living down Birmingham way I think the record said born Accrington. It was a while ago I saw the document cant even be surewhat document it was I ll see if i can find it again and post it.

Bob Dobson 03-06-2012 21:08

Thanks Pete. Am very pleased to have this revitalised.

Retlaw 03-06-2012 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 796988)
My grandfather was called Robert Worthington Rigby. he lived in Accrington 1877-1946. he had brothers Arthur,Doctor,Herbert, all named Worthington Rigby, and two sisters, Grace and Elizabeth hannah. The family lived in Marsden St. It appears likely that the lads got thjeir middle name becauise they were fathered by James Worthington, who at that time was not married to Mrs Rigby.

I have recently come across people who are related to me through the Wiorthington Rigbys, and wonder if there are any more folk in the area who are descended from the Rigbys.

Only just sin this.
Pte. 15629. Robert Worthington RIGBY served in B Coy Accrington Pals, wounded July 1st 1916, leg amputated, discharged K.R. 392 para (xvi) 7-07-1917, was living at 48 Dowry St, in 1935. His father was J.H. Rigby.

Retlaw.

Bob Dobson 04-06-2012 08:13

Thanks for this, Retlaw. There appears to be some doubt as to his father's name, which is why he has Worthington in it, though his mother was Rigby, nee Nutter. His reputed father was John Henry Worthington,who later married Mrs Rigby. It would be easy to see how his father's name would be recorded as Rigby if he had simply been asked 'What's your father's name?' RW Rigby died 17.1.46. Shall I find you a photo?

Retlaw 04-06-2012 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 995784)
Thanks for this, Retlaw. There appears to be some doubt as to his father's name, which is why he has Worthington in it, though his mother was Rigby, nee Nutter. His reputed father was John Henry Worthington,who later married Mrs Rigby. It would be easy to see how his father's name would be recorded as Rig:pby if he had simply been asked 'What's your father's name?' RW Rigby died 17.1.46. Shall I find you a photo?

I dropped a clanger. Just read the article again, and it says brother J.H. Rigby, not father, the one who recived the news, that Robert was wounded, & in a French Hospital.
I have a picture of him, he always reminded me of you when I looked at it.
Gormless looking.:) :p

Bob Dobson 04-06-2012 13:53

Well there' one fer t'book,, as we have no knowledge of a brother JH, though one was Herbert, so may be him. In 1935 he was living with Rose Dobson at 48 Dowry St.
If you wakken up tomorrow wi broken windas - it'll be me.

accypete 05-06-2012 00:14

1 Attachment(s)
Bob probley not related and not even sure if it is Accrington looks more like Warington to me , in the transcript it say Barrington lancs. When I first found it the transcript said Accrington.

Bob Dobson 05-06-2012 06:53

Thanks Pete. I think it says Birmingham, but as the chap is an accountant - unlikely. I appreciate you looking it up.

katex 05-06-2012 09:42

My dad used to play in a dance band locally, in the late 40's/50's (in my memory), with a man called Jo. Rigby.

That's all I know though. :)

Bob Dobson 05-06-2012 10:16

Good to see that your spell in dock hasn't affected your memory K. and that you are back in your stride. None of our family have been musical, though my feet did hum a lot when I was younger.

accypete 05-06-2012 13:28

Hi Bob the census was from Birmingham but the question is were Ribgy was born it looks like Accrington / Warrington their son was recorded as born in Birmingham wife recorded as Ireland.

Bob Dobson 05-06-2012 13:54

My apologies. I'll go back and take a looksee.