Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Huncoat Colliery (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/huncoat-colliery-57203.html)

Rowlf 10-05-2015 20:04

Re: Huncoat Colliery

I have no idea which pit my Great Grandfather was in but I do know when he finished mining he was the landlord of the Black Bull in Huncoat.

Patrick D O 24-09-2015 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1043839)
I have been in contact recently with a long lost mate Ken Lowes who worked down Hapton Valley before moving to Kent.

He sent me the following photo taken down the Valley,
the arrow saying "ME" is Ken.

He took me down once during a shutdown and I have a great admiration for all the lads who made a living down there.

that is not Ken Lowes ,that is Peter Dunn

Mog 25-09-2015 11:25

I moved down to Kent for the channel tunnel in 92. Whereabouts in Kent does Ken live Patrick.

Patrick D O 03-11-2015 16:28

ken lowes as far as I remember was a mechanic at Hapton Vallry but left in the 70's to work on fishing boats on the south coast. I believe his wife died and he came back to Accrington and restarted back at Hapton Valley. When Hapton Valley closed I believe he transferred to Lea Hall colliery in Rugeley. Incidentely I worked at hap ton Valley from 1970to its closure. i was one of the Surveyors (Dialers as we were called) I do not know where Ken is now but my reply about the photograph was to say that it did not depict Ken ,but an electrician called Peter Dunn .Incidentely the photo was was taken on either Dip 5 or Dip 3 .it was a retreat face.

Alan Dickinson DICKY 21-02-2016 00:03

Hi Mog my name Dicky ( Alan Dickinson) I worked with all the guys you mentioned see my forum. Do you remember me?

Patrick D O 30-09-2016 19:13

when did you work at Hapton Valley Bob

Patrick D O 30-09-2016 19:17

I remember Steven Clough.I think he worked on the coal face.

Bob Dobson 30-09-2016 21:09

I don't know what dates - but 1957-58. I loved it.

Mog 04-10-2016 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Dickinson DICKY (Post 1161713)
Hi Mog my name Dicky ( Alan Dickinson) I worked with all the guys you mentioned see my forum. Do you remember me?

Hey up Dicky, cause I remember you mate. And the rest of the Rishton and Great Harwood lads. Did you end up with your girlfriend Mow. Fred Dows daughter. You ok.

Alan Dickinson DICKY 05-10-2016 10:38

Hi Mog what is your full name . Yes ended up with Mow we have been together 48 years , have 2 children We live in Australia . Tell me a few names you know from Huncoat
Cheers Dicky

Alan Dickinson DICKY 05-10-2016 10:47

Some other names I remember Gilly,Molly, Gosh, Treverthick,Morris Steveson. Spud Pickup. Ian Power Is Marylyn's (Mow) cousin. Fred died when he was only 49.

Mog 06-10-2016 06:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Dickinson DICKY (Post 1178362)
Some other names I remember Gilly,Molly, Gosh, Treverthick,Morris Steveson. Spud Pickup. Ian Power Is Marylyn's (Mow) cousin. Fred died when he was only 49.

You just named me on here mate. there was only 1 other Stevenson and that was my brother Brian Stevenson. Others you mentioned Gilly was Glynn Gillibrand. Molly was Malcolm Taylor, Brian Trevethick, Spud Pickup was mates with our Brian. Ian Pocket Powers was my old mate. Mog is me.

Jacksdaughter 31-12-2016 17:36

I knew "uncle" Bob, he and my father Jack Barnes ran their window cleaning rounds together during my youth. Although we called him Uncle Bob we were not blood relatives. If we are talking about the same man he was married to "auntie" Rita whose daughter was Susan (like myself). My father told us that prior to window cleaning uncle bob worked down the pits and that he wrestled under the name of Robert retsinab. I have photos somewhere when we were on holiday and Susan an I are riding around on trikes outside a caravan. I grew up knowing this man he was part of our family life.

Rowlf 04-01-2017 11:24

An article in today's (Jan 4th) Lancashire Telegraph about a miner from Huncoat.

ferret man 21-01-2017 19:37

Any of you ex Miners know of a man called Herbert Daley. I have in my possession a badge with his name engraved on the back on the face it says LANCS & CHESHIRE MINERS across the top, below it says WELFARE COMMITTEE. There are also on the face two pennants either side of a Davy Lamp with the words Safety Badge under the lamp. How or why this came to be in my possession I have not got a clue, so if any of you guy's out there know of him or his family could you let me know, they may want a memento.