Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   TA East Lancs Artillery photo (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/ta-east-lancs-artillery-photo-61635.html)

accypete 03-06-2012 23:19

TA East Lancs Artillery photo

hopefully I ll get this right Im posting this because Im sure there will be some interest in it.
I was given this by Brian Flynn ,not a relative of mine He along with my granddad Charles Flynn, Ronnie Lang. and the triplets from Clayton are in the Photo any more names ......?

accypete 04-06-2012 21:17

Re: TA East Lancs Artillery photo

2 Attachment(s)
Bit by bit ....

accypete 04-06-2012 21:35

3 Attachment(s)
with a little luck last three bits ....and I believe its the whealan Brother from Clayton

egg&chips 04-06-2012 21:41

Any clues as to when and where taken AP? My dad was a terrier for a long time and was wireless op. for the artillery.

accypete 04-06-2012 21:53

Really dont have an answer to either question egg n chips I would guess 50's maybe 60.s

egg&chips 04-06-2012 22:28

That would be about the right era, and one chap in the last frame does look familiar. I'll show my mum who is far more likely to recognise folk from this time.

egg&chips 05-06-2012 19:26

Vincent O Rourke is on here but not my dad apparently. Definitely his bunch though. I seem to recall that they met at some place on Moscow Mill Street in the 60s.

Retlaw 05-06-2012 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by accypete (Post 995906)
with a little luck last three bits ....and I believe its the whealan Brother from Clayton

They might not all be local men, the 556 H.A.A. Head Quarters were at Manchester.

accypete 05-06-2012 20:49

Hi Retlaw,there is at least 6 local blokes there Charles Flynn,Ronnie Lang the whealan triplets,Vincent O Rourke according to egg n chips and Brian Flynn who gave me the copy. I believe he said that they "met" in Church.

Retlaw 05-06-2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by accypete (Post 996149)
Hi Retlaw,there is at least 6 local blokes there Charles Flynn,Ronnie Lang the whealan triplets,Vincent O Rourke according to egg n chips and Brian Flynn who gave me the copy. I believe he said that they "met" in Church.

In WW1 the Church Artillery did have a H.Q., and drill hall in Church, I was under the impression it had been long gone, there also use to be a drill hall in Moscow Mill St, and one at the end of Argyle St, the last two were infantry drill halls, the one on Argyle St, also had a 20 yard indoor rifle range.
Retlaw.

cashman 05-06-2012 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 996168)
In WW1 the Church Artillery did have a H.Q., and drill hall in Church, I was under the impression it had been long gone, there also use to be a drill hall in Moscow Mill St, and one at the end of Argyle St, the last two were infantry drill halls, the one on Argyle St, also had a 20 yard indoor rifle range.
Retlaw.

Dunno if it is? But quite a few used to regard Moscow Mill St as in Church. Perhaps thats were the guy meant.:confused:Meself i think its Accy.

JIMSLAD 06-06-2012 14:33

Drill hall was next to St Mary's school where car parks for ossy mills are now and the playground was called artillery st

AccyMad 06-06-2012 18:26

I think one person in the last photo could be either my dad or his brother, they both grew up in Church & looked very much alike, not sure if or when either of them were in the TA, unfortunately they both passed away some time ago but I'll ask my mum when she's back from her holidays at the weekend & she if she can shed some light on it

AccyMad 16-06-2012 13:36

Unfortunately my mum doesn't know if either my dad or uncle were in the TA, if my dad was it must have been before 1952 which is when they met. If it is one of them she thinks it more likely to be his brother who was a couple of years older, their surname was O'Mara or Mara depending which sibling you knew (but thats another story :) )

davidf 24-10-2012 19:01

Can't help regarding the photograph, but I served in the terriers from late 1959 to early 1961. The unit was P Battery, 380 Light Regiment Royal Artillery, Territorial Army, and we met at the drill hall which fronted Moscow Mill Street. At the time there was an Artillery Street leading off Moscow Mill Street. We used to have 4.2in mortars. Around the time that I left the mortars were going and an anti-aircraft gun was being moved in as P and Q Batteries of the regiment were being amalgamated with (I think) 288 (2nd West Lancashire) LAA Regiment, still Royal Artillery, so the drill hall was in use then. We got paid 2/6d for attending a drill night, and 18/2d for attending on a Sunday.