Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Information about Clayton (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/information-about-clayton-61756.html)

Mack 26-06-2012 17:47

Re: Information about Clayton

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999889)
Ooh yes please.

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 999889)

(Think this thread wander had better stop NOW!!!)

I love kinky drifts.

Alan Gilmartin 08-07-2012 05:46

The chip shop on Whalley Rd, was called Dora's, then it became Chans, in the 60s, there was a mill in Well St, it was a printers, called the Cambridge Press, the entrance was from Whalley Rd, next to the bus stop that was set back into the building, I think there was a betting shop next to the Chippy. Next to the Star Cinema, was Star alley, then three shops, a butchers, green grocers and a dry Cleaners.

cashman 08-07-2012 10:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1001664)
The chip shop on Whalley Rd, was called Dora's, then it became Chans, in the 60s, there was a mill in Well St, it was a printers, called the Cambridge Press, the entrance was from Whalley Rd, next to the bus stop that was set back into the building, I think there was a betting shop next to the Chippy. Next to the Star Cinema, was Star alley, then three shops, a butchers, green grocers and a dry Cleaners.

Yeh got a better memory n me Al, Can't remember "Doras" I know Chan had it in 63,when meself n Darwendosser used to go every Friday fer 20 Fish n chips or so. So he must have bought it very early 60s?:)

claytonx 08-07-2012 12:50

Would I be right in remembering Norman Clough having an electrical shop at the corner of Well St and Whalley Rd.

Lost in Cornwall 10-07-2012 09:04

That's right. I was in the same class at All saints as his daughter who I think was called Barbara.

claytonx 10-07-2012 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost in Cornwall (Post 1002026)
That's right. I was in the same class at All saints as his daughter who I think was called Barbara.

How old will his daughter be?

Lost in Cornwall 13-07-2012 09:19

I'm 55 so somewhere around there.

Steerforth 13-06-2013 04:24

Hello Accrington! We had a long discussion about the location of my great-grandmother's tripe shop at 158 Whalley Road in Clayton le Moors. You gave me a lot of valuable information. Just happened to be surfing and checked eBay. There are several photographs of processions in Clayton, and I am wondering about this one. If you look at the fourth girl on the right, there seems to be a number "15.." above her head, and I am wondering if anybody can recognize the location of this photo. Grandma's shop was on a corner, but I think the street looks too wide to be "Back Row". I posted a charcoal drawing of Back Row and the side of Grandma's shop somewhere in this thread. I'm probably just being whimsical! You may have to enlarge the photo to get a better look. Thanks!

P.S. I posted under the nick, "Mack" in this thread, but I cannot access the account.

http://tinyurl.com/kgwv8g5

ossy kid 13-06-2013 05:38

Just a guess but if those are tram lines I would say that this is Whalley Rd and a further guess would be between the Burnley Rd junction and the canal bridge.

cashman 13-06-2013 06:45

Looks summat like Whalley Rd, across from Hare @ Hounds to me?

smobile 13-06-2013 06:53

I reckon that the building far right is the Volunteer Pub with the Old Commercial Pub (now Balti Stan) up towards the left.

Or possibly Albion looking up to Volunteer Pub

DtheP47 13-06-2013 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1062585)
I reckon that the building far right is the Volunteer Pub with the Old Commercial Pub (now Balti Stan) up towards the left.

Or possibly Albion looking up to Volunteer Pub

Bit high up Whalley Road for it to be the Vol' sm..when I wander down to the Forts quiz tonight I'll check it out using the pic as a reference.
(Better doing it on the way down than back methinks ;))

Bob Dobson 13-06-2013 09:17

I think the road too flat to be where the postings so far surmise. The tram terminus was at the canal bridge, so it has to be higher up than that. I favour on the Acc side of the Load of Mischief junction. I don't know the names of the streets, but I think the bike shop was on the lift of this pic. 15 Whalley Rd is just before the junction with Whinfield St ( so my 1951 directory tells me, when Mrs Pickup lived there) The last number on each row was a shop. The Load of Mischief was between 137 and 151, the Vol was 229, Hare & Hounds 147. Maurice Green, cycle dealer was 86.

DtheP47 13-06-2013 09:45

Here it is folks...
The row opposite the Hare and Hounds

Google maps number 177 Whalley Road A680 Clayton le Moors

cashman 13-06-2013 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DtheP47 (Post 1062623)
Here it is folks...
The row opposite the Hare and Hounds

Google maps 177 A680 Clayton le Moors

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1062582)
Looks summat like Whalley Rd, across from Hare @ Hounds to me?

Clever beggar am i.:D