Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Bridge Street (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/bridge-street-62230.html)

cooinda 26-08-2012 16:37

Bridge Street

Does anyone remember Bridge Street, Church in the early to mid 50's it was mainly residential in those days, My very first girl friend lived there at number 7, she was called Doreen Dowling, we went everywhere together we were both about 13/14 if my memory is any good, I am 73 now.

Obviously I don't want to interfere in anyone's life, but does anyone know anything about Doreen, she must be at least 71/72 now. I would really like to say hello, if its possible and is something she would want. If Doreen reads this I am sure she will know who I am, and remember our Saturday mornings at the Regal (Odeon) and the days up the coppice.:)

Bob Dobson 26-08-2012 19:56

Re: Bridge Street

In 1951, Mr L Dowling, a moulder, lived at No 7.

I don't know quite when the Regal became the Odeon, but it was the Regal in 1951.

cashman 26-08-2012 21:23

Would guess it changed from Regal not that long after 51 Bob?

cooinda 27-08-2012 10:17

Thanks Bob and Cashman, I clearly remember Doreens Dad, he was a nice guy, in fact he used to give Doreen a sixpence on Saturday's for an ice cream in the pictures, do you remember the Palace Cinema at the corner of Abbey street, it was the first cinema in Accy to open on Sundays, the reason I tell you this is because it used to have the "double seats" on the back row. Oh! the memories.

cashman 27-08-2012 10:39

Yep the Palace was next to the G.P.O. on corner, across the road left was the Kings Hall or "Bug Hut".:D

cooinda 27-08-2012 10:51

Hi Cashman, Absolutely right, and under the bug hut was the snooker hall, across the road where Norths Cleaners and Swindon Insurance is, was Catlows one of the best fruit and veg markets in Accy at that time, just up the road practically opposite the snooker hall was a Piano shop, we used to go in there as kids, they had listening boohs where we could listen to new records before buying them. Cannot remember the Piano shop name but it was very well known.:confused:

susie123 27-08-2012 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooinda (Post 1010841)
Hi Cashman, Absolutely right, and under the bug hut was the snooker hall, across the road where Norths Cleaners and Swindon Insurance is, was Catlows one of the best fruit and veg markets in Accy at that time, just up the road practically opposite the snooker hall was a Piano shop, we used to go in there as kids, they had listening boohs where we could listen to new records before buying them. Cannot remember the Piano shop name but it was very well known.:confused:

Haworths piano shop, next to Catlows, always had a piano in the window.

accybill 27-08-2012 11:17

Tricky one as I am not coming up with any Doreen Dowling's ...... but I do have a link (for someone born in 1938) and would ask if Doreen had any siblings before following this up?
Was her father called Luke and her mother Doris?

cooinda 27-08-2012 11:38

Hi Accybill, Doreen Dowling went to Hyndburn Park school as I did, its where we met. I think you are right with Luke Dowling, but not sure about her Mother, in Fact I don't remember seeing very much of her Mother. I saw plenty of her Dad, maybe Mother worked shifts or even nights in the weaving shed, I simply cannot remember, and I do not remember Doreen having any brothers or sisters. She had a friend called Jean Charnley went to the same school.

cooinda 27-08-2012 11:40

Just to add to my last message, I was born in 1939, so it is possible Doreen was a bit older than me, what month do you have in 1938?

cooinda 27-08-2012 11:41

Thanks Susie 123, that brought back a load of memories, I do remember the piano in the window.

susie123 27-08-2012 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 1010757)
Would guess it changed from Regal not that long after 51 Bob?

Interesting article here, says Regal became Odeon 1945.

Once upon a time in Accrington | Accrington Observer - menmedia.co.uk

accybill 27-08-2012 18:00

I have PM'd you with some information

Bob Dobson 27-08-2012 19:09

Cooinda, you are not telling us all you know about the Palace's double seats. I am chasing the Dowlings too. A friend of mine knows a George. Mentioning Hyndburn Park may well trigger LittlerPom off, though she is 3yrs younger than Doreen. Barrie Yates may be aware of her, as he had a particular fondness for HP girls. Gordon Booth too

cashman 27-08-2012 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooinda (Post 1010841)

Yep the snooker hall under the Bug Hut was the Central, By the way knew some Charnleys, but they lived up fern gore.