Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   Tommy (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/tommy-64861.html)

claytonx 25-08-2013 15:05

Tommy

I have just spent an hour looking at old threads of Clayton-le-Moors and no where can I find a memory of a lad who lived top of Henry St who was said to have his leg or legs taken off with playing near the barrage balloon on the top of Whinney Hill, he could run on crutches faster than we could run.

His first name was Tommy can't remember his last name, doe's any of the old school on here know of him and what became of him.

Bob Dobson 25-08-2013 15:12

Re: Tommy

Not a tale with which I am familiar.

claytonx 25-08-2013 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1072819)
Not a tale with which I am familiar.

I think you are too young Bob, if you get the time maybe you could check in the library when you are over. No hurry.

Bob Dobson 25-08-2013 19:46

An event like this would likely be recorded in the book 'An Accrington Chronology' by Rev Lanham, which covers reports in the Observer 1923-74. but I feel sure it isn't in. Somebody from Clayton will likely come up with it.

Aussie Irene 26-08-2013 01:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 1072817)
I have just spent an hour looking at old threads of Clayton-le-Moors and no where can I find a memory of a lad who lived top of Henry St who was said to have his leg or legs taken off with playing near the barrage balloon on the top of Whinney Hill, he could run on crutches faster than we could run.

His first name was Tommy can't remember his last name, doe's any of the old school on here know of him and what became of him.

His name was Tommy Townsend.

claytonx 26-08-2013 09:57

Thanks Irene, can you remember anything about him.

vecrra 26-08-2013 10:16

Just done a quick search and found this article where the accident was mentioned. Not much to go on though. BBC - WW2 People's War - Sandbags and Cigarette Cards

Aussie Irene 26-08-2013 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by claytonx (Post 1072946)
Thanks Irene, can you remember anything about him.

My husband did know him very well, but met him through a friend of his. His name was Volney Crosston who in later life, had the Crosston school of motoring in Oswaldtwistle. At that time Volney lived in Henry Street. Volney has since passed on. Tommy lost one leg, and you are right, he could run as fast as a lad with two legs. My husband lost contact when he was about 17.
He seems to think that Bert Townsend who played cricket for Enfield, was a family member or relative.

Aussie Irene 26-08-2013 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aussie Irene (Post 1072964)
My husband did know him very well, but met him through a friend of his. His name was Volney Crosston who in later life, had the Crosston school of motoring in Oswaldtwistle. At that time Volney lived in Henry Street. Volney has since passed on. Tommy lost one leg, and you are right, he could run as fast as a lad with two legs. My husband lost contact when he was about 17.
He seems to think that Bert Townsend who played cricket for Enfield, was a family member or relative.

Sorry, that is meant to read my husband did not know him very well.

Bob Dobson 26-08-2013 19:47

What year might this have been,Irene.? Good Night, Irene. I'll see you in my dreams.

Aussie Irene 27-08-2013 00:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob dobson (Post 1073050)
what year might this have been,irene.? Good night, irene. I'll see you in my dreams.

1949-50

Alan Gilmartin 27-08-2013 04:26

The townsend family lived in a big house off burnley road I think there were about six kids in the family, They might have had a farm.

Aussie Irene 27-08-2013 08:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1073086)
The townsend family lived in a big house off burnley road I think there were about six kids in the family, They might have had a farm.

Alan, was that at the time of the accident, before, or after?. My husband had the impression that at one time he lived in Henry St close to the Crosston family.

Alan Gilmartin 08-09-2013 06:56

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo Irene from St Mary's Clayton, one of the Townsend girls is at the front with the check dress on, cant remember her name. This was my brother Peters class with Paul Brenand, Anthony Sarsfield, Billy Hyland, Dorinda Nuttall, Gloria Battrik, Margaret Walsh, cant remember others.

Mog 08-09-2013 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin (Post 1074959)
Here is a photo Irene from St Mary's Clayton, one of the Townsend girls is at the front with the check dress on, cant remember her name. This was my brother Peters class with Paul Brenand, Anthony Sarsfield, Billy Hyland, Dorinda Nuttall, Gloria Battrik, Margaret Walsh, cant remember others.

Would her name have been Susan Townsend.