Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lost Friends / Family (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/)
-   -   looking for Clive Smith (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f67/looking-for-clive-smith-68368.html)

Margaret Pilkington 17-07-2016 20:14

looking for Clive Smith

I am looking to find out any information on the whereabouts of Clive Smith.
Clive went to Woodnook School from 1958-1962.(he was in my year at school)
He was a very handsome and personable young man. (drove all the girls wild)
I have not seen nor heard anything of him since I left school.
I believe he want into the Royal Marines...other than that I have not a clue where he could be.
If anyone knows of him, his whereabouts or his family please could you let me know.
I have great faith in the magic of Accyweb and I do not ask this lightlyMany thanks in anticipation.

Bob Dobson 18-07-2016 09:22

Re: looking for Clive Smith

Where did he live, Margaret ?

Margaret Pilkington 18-07-2016 09:38

Bob, he lived in Accrington, and I think it might have been the Ormerod street area of town, but it is going back a long time and sometimes such things get a bit fuzzy.
I have been racking my brains to see if I could think of anything more that would locate him.
I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters either.

Bob Dobson 19-07-2016 07:53

Can Judith Addison help by suggesting some Smith addresses from her 1951 directory? Try posting on a thread headed Woodnook school. Was he born 1947 ?

Bob Dobson 19-07-2016 08:05

There are LOADS of Clive Smiths on Facebook. None of their short profiles mention Acc

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 08:06

Yes he was.
I didn't know that Judith Addison had compiled a directory of Smiths.
I don't know his parents names.....in fact I have very little to go on other than what I have posted.
Smith is such a common (and I do not mean that in a derogatory sense) name, but Clive is less common.

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 08:07

I was wondering if I might get some further info from the BMD site.
I might have a go at that just to give me a beat more flesh for the bones of my search.

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1172686)
There are LOADS of Clive Smiths on Facebook. None of their short profiles mention Acc

I don't do Facebook, but I did have a little search on there...by that I mean I put in the name and hoped that something would come up alas, nothing that was of any help.....but it was very cursory as I don't like Facebook at all.

Bob Dobson 19-07-2016 08:11

I've done a search of Electoral Rolls in the North West. None of the 72 suggestions with a BB postcode
Shall I ask lads starting at the Grammar School in 1958 ?

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 08:13

Bob that would be very kind of you.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
This is not just for me, but for someone who knew Clive very well and is looking to locate him because they are not very well(if you get my drift).

Bob Dobson 19-07-2016 10:35

OK - will ask the 58ers on our register. Judith hasn't got a list of Smiths, but there will be some listed in her 1951 directory who live Ormerod St way

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 10:47

Thank you Bob. You are a star.

ossy kid 19-07-2016 15:27

Needle in a haystack Margaret. Checked some things this morning, his mothers maiden name was Holden and guess what? there were 3 Holden's married 3 Smiths between 1940 and 1947 in Accrington and there were 5 kids named Smith with mother named Holden.
Maybe your best bet is to try and find someone who may have kept in touch from school, pull out your old photo's. Good luck.

Margaret Pilkington 19-07-2016 17:52

Thank you Ossy Kid...I also did that search ......the best of it is one of the Smiths on that list was also in the same year as us at School...Dianne Smith.
Your efforts are much appreciated. I think you are right about finding someone who has kept in touch from school.
I hope they spot this thread.

Bob Dobson 19-07-2016 19:42

I wonder if the library have any phone directories which might help. I feel sure they will have the rates books