Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Passing of an Englishman (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/passing-of-an-englishman-10317.html)

Doug 23-04-2005 20:17

Passing of an Englishman

St George’s Day, Such an auspicious day for an Englishman of such high standing to pass beyond this world. Sir John Mills died today at the age of 97.

Few men could bring to the silver screen what an Englishman was. Rich or Poor this man played them all. Such was his understanding of Englishness that he portray the men of his country has men showing the rest of the world what an Englishman was. May his God rest his soul and bring peace to his family.

Margaret Pilkington 23-04-2005 20:23

Re: Passing of an Englishman

I was saddened to hear of this great actors demise. I am sure he will be up there now entertaining those in heaven. Good Night and God Bless Sir John.

lindsay ormerod 23-04-2005 20:25

A truly fine actor and a gentleman to the core.A very sad loss.My sympathies to his family and loved ones.

Less 23-04-2005 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
St George’s Day, Such an auspicious day for an Englishman of such high standing to pass beyond this world. Sir John Mills died today at the age of 97.

Few men could bring to the silver screen what an Englishman was. Rich or Poor this man played them all. Such was his understanding of Englishness that he portray the men of his country has men showing the rest of the world what an Englishman was. May his God rest his soul and bring peace to his family.

Can't argue with that.

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_8_9.gif

West Ender 23-04-2005 21:00

You just knew that if he was in a film it was going to be good. I think my favourite, of his, was "Ice Cold in Alex". Not only did it have John Mills' brilliant acting but there was also Anthony Quayle's legs! :)

WillowTheWhisp 23-04-2005 21:20

Couldn't put it any better than Doug did. He was one of the greats.

Less 23-04-2005 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Couldn't put it any better than Doug did. He was one of the greats.

Don't talk about Doug in the past tense!

WillowTheWhisp 23-04-2005 21:55

oops :D ............

grannyclaret 23-04-2005 22:31

yes he was one realy nice chap ..i wonder how mary will cope without him..

cashman 24-04-2005 01:49

great actor,decent bloke but hes had a great innings 97.

garinda 24-04-2005 07:33

Whistle Down The Wind, one of my favourite films of all time. Filmed in Downham, and also starring his Daughter Hayley, as well as a load of Lancashire school children.

As someone who wasn't a Northener, he did us proud by portraying some great Northern film parts, immortalised for ever. Thank you.

pendy 24-04-2005 11:31

Great actor, glad he had such a good innings.

mez 24-04-2005 11:35

hear, hear doug, he was a lovely family man, he will be missed im sure.

grannyclaret 24-04-2005 14:55

[QUOTE=garinda]Whistle Down The Wind, one of my favourite films of all time. Filmed in Downham, and also starring his Daughter Hayley, as well as a load of Lancashire school children.
.................................................. .................................................. ...........................
i loved that film too. that little lad had me in stiches when he kept saying its just a bloke...ibet he has children of his own now,,,,

Mick 24-04-2005 15:06

Dont be to sad folks they will be showing a lot of his films soon and there are some great 1s