Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   The morning after. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/the-morning-after-10807.html)

Acrylic-bob 06-05-2005 06:12

The morning after.

Well there it is. Greg Pope is now our new Member of Parliament by winning the votes of 18,136 electors out of a total population of 81,496.

How anyone with such pitiful support can claim to be representing the will of the people of Hyndburn is beyond me.

The country knows that Blair and co are prepared to tell lies to music, but have elected them for a third term nonetheless. However, a projected majority of 66 seats in the new Parliament will make it difficult for New Labour to govern. Should we now open a poll to see how long people think Blair will last as Prime Minister?

Writing at the start of the election campaign, Mathew Parris in The Times, predicted that the majority would be less than 100. He said that if this came to pass, as it now has, then his predictions for the economy and the country were dire. The New Labour project would, he predicted, fall to pieces as the economy and the government's policies failed. If you listen carefully, it is possible, even now, to hear the distinctive flapping sound of chickens coming home to roost. This is probably the best possible result for the Conservative Party. When it comes time for the country to make its will known again, Labour will have to take the full responsibility for its shameless mishandling of the economy. Pretty cold comfort for the millions who are going to suffer as a result, but you cannot say that you were not warned; Tax and Spend, as a method of running an economy, has never worked. You would think that the people of Hyndburn would recognise the truth of that statement better than most.

garinda 06-05-2005 06:33

Re: The morning after.

Nothing much as changed. It's still drizzling, we still have a Labour Government, hey ho.

On a personal level I'm just glad we don't have the little fibber James Mawdsley as our M.P., and l'm glad he polled even fewer votes than Peter Britcliffe did last time.

Don't take too much notice of what Matthew Parris says, I've met him on a number of occasions and he's full of contradictions, or perhaps that's his appeal?

ossyclogger 06-05-2005 06:37

Don't sit on the fence Garinda !

garinda 06-05-2005 06:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossyclogger
Don't sit on the fence Garinda !

I'm sitting on nowt, unles it's called Lee and plays for Stanley. ;)

My political allegiance is between me and a rather stubby pencil in Ossy Townhall!

janet 06-05-2005 07:30

I for one did not vote for labour.God knows, what state the country will be in, in the next five years.

cashman 06-05-2005 08:43

nice one labour! all those who voted bitch if you must your cetainly entitled. all those who couldn't be bothered WRAP UP your NOT.

chav1 06-05-2005 09:40

i just hope tony blair gets replaced real soon i cant stand the smug faced bas*and he alone was the reason i voted against labour

the council ellections were a dissapointment as the only choice was beetween labour or the cons

do the other partys not see councils worthy of their attention...?

entwisi 06-05-2005 10:45

I was probably for the first time ever a floating voter. What did the parties dot o win my vote? Nothing. One leaflet eack through my door. No one knocking and talking to me. I only saw Labour giving out balloons, BNP standing looking agressive. No sign of our Conservative representative.

So thanks for nothing guys You really played a blinder

WillowTheWhisp 06-05-2005 15:44

Well look at it this way, at least the goldfish will be safe for another term.

yerself 06-05-2005 16:05

Here's how our hard-working MP performed last year. He managed to speak in one debate, 630th out of 659 MPs.

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/greg_pope/hyndburn

ShortStuff 06-05-2005 17:35

I didn't vote for Labour - but to be honest, I'm not surprised they got in again - the competition wasn't exactly up to much either. I do agree they need a new face at the front though - no one trusts Tony Blair anymore.

lindsay ormerod 06-05-2005 17:44

And everyone obviously trusts Michael Howard???:confused:

g78 06-05-2005 18:03

Thank god the tories didn't get in is all I can say. They brought the country down once so I am glad they didn't get the opporunity to do it again.

ossyclogger 06-05-2005 18:09

I would trust Howard more than Blur.

jiggy 06-05-2005 18:21

dont trust any one of em id rather see some 1 wi sum balls as prime minister, who'l do wots good for us not europe or america