Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Town Centre (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/town-centre-12023.html)

Reidy 11-06-2005 15:49

Town Centre

Does anyone know what is goin to happen to the strech of land between the town hall and poundland where all the flower beds and benches ud=sed to be i once heard a while ago that they were going to regenerate it once the new market was built but i have heard nothing since, there always seems to be some kind of fair or market going on there will it be used for this purpose all the time now or will accrington get its benches and flower beds back???? Or is it that Hyndburn BC have run out of cash AGAIN????

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2005 16:44

Re: Town Centre

It sounds like you are referring to Broadway (in front of Woollies and M&S?) in which case a few plans have been put forward none of which are particularly thrilling but basically HBC seem to want a couple of flower tubs and a few benches and space left for the French market whenever it comes. We've had discussions about it from time to time in here. If you do a search for "Broadway" you might be able to find some of them.

-pixie 11-06-2005 16:49

According to the leaflets we recieved at work about 2 months ago, they are renovating it this summer and putting the flower beds back. Should be fun trying to work with all the noise etc.:rolleyes:

WillowTheWhisp 11-06-2005 16:57

It can't be any worse than the fairground surely? We really missed a treat there didn't we?

lindsay ormerod 11-06-2005 18:07

You timed the honeymoon just right Willow;if I had known what was coming I would have stowed away and come with you!

Margaret Pilkington 11-06-2005 18:12

I wonder if that fiasco made any money.....?

cashman 11-06-2005 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
I wonder if that fiasco made any money.....?

the answer to that question does'nt seem to be very forthcoming margaret !

-pixie 11-06-2005 21:10

I saw a grand total of 2 people on the stupid rides and that was on a Saturday afternoon. Am sooooo glad that stupid fair is gone. I can only hope that they are putting back the flowerbeds etc just so that I won't have to work with that crap on Broadway again!

chav1 11-06-2005 22:27

i think we should have a rollercoaster on broadway , a log flume in the river stink and a circus on the arndale carpark roof

hey it may sound stupid but its a more likely choice HBC would make lol

cashman 11-06-2005 22:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by chav1
i think we should have a rollercoaster on broadway , a log flume in the river stink and a circus on the arndale carpark roof

hey it may sound stupid but its a more likely choice HBC would make lol

we already have a fun house-the TOWN HALL lol

fireman 12-06-2005 05:33

And we have the Dodgem Cars too Think they call them TAXIES now.

Debbie J 12-06-2005 06:31

To my way of thinking it was a waste to rip out benches and flower beds only to replace them with the same. But then we should be used to waste by now.

WillowTheWhisp 12-06-2005 08:47

They removed the flower beds and benches so that the outdoor market could be housed there temporarily whilst they demolished the old area and constructed the new one.

andrewb 12-06-2005 08:49

Were they not going to mobile flower beds so that they could be removed when the market and what not comes?

jimmi5bellies 12-06-2005 09:17

I think HBC will leave it as it is, one big open and ugly looking stretch. It wasnt that long ago that HBC was thinking off selling off the indoor market cause it was so cash strapped. Pity really, if they cant afford to replace the flower beds they could at least put back the benches. Half of the ones (think its about 2 aint it ???) have slats missing from them.