Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Bread and circuses (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/bread-and-circuses-13539.html)

Acrylic-bob 25-07-2005 05:31

Bread and circuses

According to the Observer, page 37, HBC is planning to shell out the astonishing sum of £100,000 on "birthday parties" to mark the fifth year of the creation of Area Councils.

They are going to spend the money on roadshows to tell us all what a fabulous job the Area Councils do.

We know about roadshows. We saw the one they sent round the borough earlier this year to tell us all how spiffingly well the recycling/wheely bin scheme was doing - two blokes in a caravan handing out leaflets was what it amounted to then. Well attended, it was NOT.

Indeed they are so pleased with the Area Councils that they are going to create a new one and staff it with two and a half more paper shufflers. (it was not clear from the report whether the half would be from the waist up or from the waist down)

Can you think of anything that you would rather see this spare £100,000 spent on? I can.

Lets have a list....

mez 25-07-2005 08:41

Re: Bread and circuses

my back fence thats mesh now with the kids of the street swinging on it & ive been asking for a new one for the past 3 yrs.

Less 25-07-2005 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
(it was not clear from the report whether the half would be from the waist up or from the waist down)

Lets have a list....

I would think the halfling employed would be split down the middle and knowing our glorious leader (he who must be dismayed), the candidate will have leanings towards the right!

garinda 25-07-2005 12:32

I COULD SIT IN A CARAVAN WITH A BLOKE OCCASIONALLY HANDING OUT LEAFLETS!!!

Where do l sign up?

WillowTheWhisp 25-07-2005 12:38

Just leave me in a darkened room for a while and ignore my screaming.

Is this perchance the same council which can't afford to take down the Christmas lights?

Acrylic-bob 25-07-2005 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Is this perchance the same council which can't afford to take down the Christmas lights?

Yup! That's the one.

Doug 25-07-2005 16:39

Might I suggest that £100,000 is put toward the restoration of what’s left of the Boroughs premier buildings, including the reduction in the crass signage that seems to be totally uncoordinated?

If I can’t have that how about adding it to the miserly amount put up for the Broadway redevelopment.

Gayle 25-07-2005 16:44

What is the point in having a roadshow to tell us how well something is working. For the ones of us who know how well it works we don't need telling and the ones who don't know how well it works probably wouldn't care less either way.

The money could be spent on tons of other things!

chav1 25-07-2005 23:23

might i suggest that £100,000 is kept in the kitty to help keep our council tax lower

cashman 25-07-2005 23:45

might i suggest the £100000 is spent on sending councillors to harley street.

staggeringman 26-07-2005 01:07

£100.000 pounds its not just a total waste on the road show how many people could the council employ to clean this **** place up for a year?5 on 20.000 a year put my name forward at least hyndburn would be clean for a year!

apest1 26-07-2005 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I COULD SIT IN A CARAVAN WITH A BLOKE OCCASIONALLY HANDING OUT LEAFLETS!!!

Where do l sign up?

Do you meen WORK !!!!