Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   More Government Meddling. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/more-government-meddling-16660.html)

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2005 14:34

More Government Meddling.

Ruth Kelly thinks that the government can legislate for the type of food children eat.
Do you think these measure will have any effect on childhood obesity?

What measures do you think would be successful in curtailing the intake of 'Junk' food that children eat?

entwisi 29-09-2005 14:37

Re: More Government Meddling.

So they are taking out all the snack machines, do they expect to force all corner shops to close as well? We didn't have a vending machine when I was at school but sweets and chocolate were in abundance.

cashman 29-09-2005 14:46

think you have to start somewhere! just a thought, the children who get free school meals will at least have a heathier diet at school.saying that food education should come from parents, but in many cases that will never happen.

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2005 14:46

Exactly....... and where the hot school dinner was the norm when I went to school.....packed lunches seem to be the thing now. While you can put healthy food into a packed lunch...you can't always be sure that the healthy packed lunch went into the child...it could very easily have gone into the bin.

When I was at school, we didn't have a school kitchen that made the food......the food was made somewhere in Accrington and was transported to the various schools in insulated containers. I enjoyed school dinners.....it was the only hot food I received each day.

Ruth Kelly is talking about putting something like £280 million pounds into school meals...... but this will not be enough to provide all the schools with kitchen services.

Acrylic-bob 29-09-2005 14:49

Put a hefty tax on fatty and sugary foodstuffs in the same way that they tax us poor smokers to the hilt.

Obese people should be made to pay twice as much as everyone else for everything and should not be allowed out in public during the hours of daylight. Sod their human rights; what about my human right not to have to be confronted with the revolting and puke-making sights that are now becoming commonplace on our streets?

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2005 14:50

Cashman, I think the way forward is to re-introduce Cookery classes back into the curriculum......kids always seem keen to eat the food that they have cooked. It would also ensure a genration of kids would have cookery skills that would then be passed on to future children......but I think the current fascist attitude will serve no-one, and it may even drive kids away from healthy food. Kids will still get their sugary drinks, crisps and chocolate from outside the school.

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2005 14:53

A-B, I don't even think that would work.....it doesn't seem to work at putting people off smoking.

cashman 29-09-2005 14:57

like the re-introduction of cookery lessons idea, but it was only the girls who had cookery in my day, think i would have rather swallowed WASPS than have to do it. maybe todays kids think differant?

Tealeaf 29-09-2005 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
What measures do you think would be successful in curtailing the intake of 'Junk' food that children eat?

Simple. Local authority health inspectors have the power to shut down any food outlet which they deem hazardous to health (due to vermin infestation, etc). Macs, KFC, Burger King, Kebab joints,etc are similarily hazardous to health. So shut 'em down.

Easy when you know how!

Margaret Pilkington 29-09-2005 15:11

Tealeaf Idon't think these large food outlets would wear it......I'm sure they would spot the link and have their lawyers on the government in a flash......and then maybe the kids would cite their human rights......and Cashman, yes cookery lessons should be aimed at both boys and girls.....I think that many of them would find it acceptable because of the Jamie Oliver influence.....and lots of boys like cooking.....it's the washing up they hate.

JohnW 29-09-2005 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
like the re-introduction of cookery lessons idea, but it was only the girls who had cookery in my day, think i would have rather swallowed WASPS than have to do it. maybe todays kids think differant?

Have to say, when I was at Southport Junior Technical College (aged 13-15) I had the option of taking art lessons or cookery. I was always useless at drawing and painting and so I, along with about 4 of my mates, chose to take cookery. I never once regretted that decision. Generally speaking, I am home from work before my wife and have everything ready to eat by the time she gets home. My wife does like to cook however, and she usually gets her chance one night each weekend. :cool:

Tealeaf 29-09-2005 15:22

What Link? I think there is enough medical evidence available now to prove beyond all reasonable doubt, the causal link between that the increasing level of childood obesity & the increased consumption of junk food. It is a simple matter of passing the neccessary legislation in parliament to halt the manufacture and retailing of this muck. The government either has the willpower to do it or it does not.

Neil 29-09-2005 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
a simple matter of passing the neccessary legislation in parliament to halt the manufacture and retailing of this muck. The government either has the willpower to do it or it does not.

Maybe limits should be placed on the fat, sugar and whatever else is supposed to be unhealthy this week, content of foods. It can't be that diffecult to say that all food sold should only contain 5% fat for example (might be interesting when you can't but butter/marg or veg oil). After all you can't sell food containing rat poison. Whats the difference? You could easily argue that fatty foods cause clogged arteries and is therefore poisoning you.

pendy 29-09-2005 17:05

This Government seems to think it can legislate for everything, which is pure cr*p.

Whatever happened to willpower? You can shut down as many fast food chains as you like, the problem lies with those who eat too many of their products. Perhaps we have been too pussy-footed - we mustn't hurt anybody's feelings, but we can shut down burger chains and throw thousands of people out of business, just because no-one wants to say -

"You are fat. Fat is not only bad for your health, it is very ugly. You are therefore ugly. You are ugly because you eat the wrong food, and too much of it. If you don't want to be ugly, change the way you eat."

Yep - I'm sure a lot of kids (and adults) would be very hurt indeed, but it is TRUE.

Perhaps it's time to try the truth, rather than kindness and respect for some esoteric notion of "Human Rights".

Acrylic-bob 29-09-2005 18:10

Pendy, I could not agree more.