Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   11AM silence (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/11am-silence-17933.html)

entwisi 11-11-2005 09:05

11AM silence

Could I ask that we observe a virtual 2 minutes silence at 11 and no-one post anything in respect of all those who have died to give us the freedom we enjoy today.

Many Thanks

Ian

SPUGGIE J 11-11-2005 12:26

Re: 11AM silence

Observed it as I always do and will be at the Rememberance Sunday service at the local memorial. We do owe are freedom and the life we have today to those who died protecting are way of life and values. This has to be remembered always with nothing allowed to stop it. Those men and women died for us and our children to forget them is to dishonour the sacrifice they made.

garinda 11-11-2005 12:35

Ive mentioned lots of times on here before that my Mum was born five months after her Dad was killed in Normandy aged twenty two.

To us Oswaldtwistle War memorial is his grave. Long after Mum and myself aren't here to do so, I hope my brother's children will still lay a wreath there for him. and for the other 1.3 million other service men and women who gave their lives for us.

grannyclaret 11-11-2005 12:41

i had sky news on .and i swear they said the 2 minuets was up before it realy was ,,everybody was still stood with their heads bowed.. i thought it was a bit insensitive

garinda 11-11-2005 12:46

All the terestial channels obseved the two minutes silence except for Channel 4.

SPUGGIE J 11-11-2005 12:48

Just typical of them. :mad:

MUMMIBOO 11-11-2005 13:44

We all did it at work, we dimmed the lights and stopped serving and for the whole 2 minutes would you beleive that what must have been the oldest lady in the shop would not shut up!! Some people are just so insensitive.

WillowTheWhisp 11-11-2005 15:39

Maybe she was a bit not quite with it, you know?

MUMMIBOO 11-11-2005 15:49

hm,mm maybe you just don't know these days do you!!!

SPUGGIE J 11-11-2005 16:19

At least an effort was made but there will always be one.

Acrylic-bob 11-11-2005 17:39

BBC Breakfast News this morning were asking whether the young knew what the poppy signified. They spoke to one gormless black woman in her twenties who thought that it might have something to do with the Labour Party. There were other examples of ignorance but that was the most glaringly ludicrous and, somehow, insulting.

The other question which seemed to take up quite a bit of air time was which side should women wear their poppy on. I also noticed that one Blackpool School, St. George's of all places, had a very poorly secured Union Flag flying at Half Mast.

I am probably getting old and crotchety but once of a day nobody would have thought to ask how these things were done correctly, everybody knew. What is the matter with people these days? It is all very well expecting new citizens to sit Britishness examinations, I rather fancy that a large proportion of the indigenous population could also do with a refresher course.

West Ender 11-11-2005 17:46

On Sunday morning my daughter will be leading her Brownies on the Remembrance Sunday church parade. They march with the other organizations, guides, scouts etc. and all the old (and not so old) men from the British Legion. After the service they stand at the War Memorial in the churchyard and The Last Post is played. Every year the brownies look at my daughter and say, "Why are you crying, Brown Owl?"

I'll be at home watching the wreath-laying on TV and I'll shed a tear too. We owe them so much and 2 minutes, today and on Sunday, is so little to ask.

garinda 11-11-2005 18:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
The other question which seemed to take up quite a bit of air time was which side should women wear their poppy on.

Traditonally men should wear poppies/buttonholes/medals on the left side, and for women it should be the right.

All a bit daft, but it goes back to when a man had to defend himself, and most people being right handed, the sword was kept on the left side for eswiftness of movement. Centuries later that's why men's and women's clothes still fasten the opposite way from each other.

Doug 11-11-2005 18:29

Dare I ask if our local representatives got out and honoured those lost in an appropriate manner?

garinda 11-11-2005 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
Dare I ask if our local representatives get out and honoured those lost in an appropriate manner?

They do Doug, I'll give them that.