Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   How multilingual are we? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/how-multilingual-are-we-18640.html)

Gayle 21-12-2005 20:40

How multilingual are we?

In England we sort of assume that the rest of the world speaks our language. So have any of us made the effort to speak anything else. Let's be honest, could we survive in any other country if we met someone who couldn't speak English - quick poll?

SPUGGIE J 21-12-2005 20:42

Re: How multilingual are we?

Got myself a learn Irish program on the computer. Irish Gaelic that is.

Margaret Pilkington 21-12-2005 20:43

I speak English and Rubbish......I understand quite a bit of Spanish, but can't really converse in it......I think I could get by though.....if I really had to.

shakermaker 21-12-2005 20:44

English, French and semi-fluent Italian, oh and a little Spanish.

Gayle 21-12-2005 20:46

I should have added an option for - Only speak English - oh, well, never mind!

Tinkerbelle 21-12-2005 20:49

I prefer to see it written down to understand rather than spoken but I can get by with a few different languages.

shakermaker 21-12-2005 20:50

i think the percenages are buggered.
adds up to 175% at the mo!

Gayle 21-12-2005 20:52

That's because I allowed it so that you could vote on more than one answer!

shakermaker 21-12-2005 20:58

ahhhh i get it now!!
silly maleness, v sorry.

West Ender 21-12-2005 21:36

Je parle un peu francais mais je ne parle pas trop bien. C'est depuis quatorze et quatre ans que j'ai étudié francais. Ce n'est pas facile. :p

Ernie 21-12-2005 21:47

I could get by using modern Greek (I wouldn't go hungry or thirsty and I could buy fuel for the car) but as for being able to hold a conversation, that is another matter.

SPUGGIE J 21-12-2005 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender
Je parle un peu francais mais je ne parle pas trop bien. C'est depuis quatorze et quatre ans que j'ai étudié francais. Ce n'est pas facile. :p

Naughty naughty.

Doug 21-12-2005 21:57

I struggle enough to understanding those supposedly young exponents of the English language let alone a second one. I took French like most people my age and promptly forgot it after leaving school and to be honest I couldn’t care less. I would like to learn a good stock Gaelic Language, something I feel is much more important than a European Language.

Roy 21-12-2005 22:09

I had french and german at school, I used to argue for hours on end that it was pointless and I would never need it! Now look at me! I spend majority of my time in foreign countries. If only I could speak german or french I would be much better off!!! Anyway, I am now not to bad at Russian and could just about hold a conversation, so I ticked other...
Schools should teach a foreign language starting from the age of 4. As they do in the rest of Europe/Asia, thats why they can all speak other languages and the English just seem like they are totally ignorant of everything.

Roy 21-12-2005 22:31

I've just added the other option you wanted gayle, non I only speak english. Otherwise we'll end up with people who can't speak another language picking other stuff and the result will be unreliable ;)