Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Would you take this as an insult? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/would-you-take-this-as-an-insult-22052.html)

mani 28-05-2006 02:25

Would you take this as an insult?

MIchael winner the film maker and the "calm down dear" bloke has turned down an OBE for his services to gettin a national memorial for dead policemen sayin that an OBE was what toilet cleaners got for a good job.

personally i think thats incredibly snobbish of him to do that. he said "But when you look at the rubbish who are getting these awards and the absolute non-service they have given to the nation... you say, 'What company am I in?'

what do u folks think?

kerrie l 28-05-2006 07:41

Re: Would you take this as an insult?

well john lennon turned his down, another working class hero............:engsmil:

Basher 28-05-2006 08:31

He's a prick, snob or not :D

It is time that they weren't given to every tom dick and harry though.

mez 28-05-2006 09:10

got to agree with basher on this one .

chav1 28-05-2006 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerrie l
well john lennon turned his down, another working class hero............:engsmil:

the guy who shot him shoud get the humanitarian award for his services to humanity :D

i agree though that the OBE is not realy that great an award considering who gets them

give me cold hard cash any day as a thankyou , 3 letters after your name dosnt get you much :)

katex 28-05-2006 13:15

I'm sorry, but I think it is good that people who have contributed to the 'Empire' albeit toilet cleaners, street cleaners, fund raisers for charity get some sort of recognition for their efforts. Maybe you may think some are not earned, however, from the lists I think they are. Ok, so only letters behind your name, but I would wear them with pride .. so there :p

Michael Winner just enjoys being controversial .. don't think he is being snobby, just publicity seeking again for making outlandish statements.

grannyclaret 28-05-2006 14:34

Whats Wrong With Being A Toilet Cleaner... Its A Good Honest Job,,as Is Being A Dustman..etc,,, They Dont Nead To Be Put Down,,, I Bet Most Of Them Work Harder Than Some Of The Toffee Nosed People That Get O,b.e,s

steeljack 28-05-2006 14:47

Didn't someone once say the OBE stood for Other Buggers Efforts,
Alexis Sayles comes to mind

grannyclaret 28-05-2006 14:48

oh i like that,,,,,,

Basher 28-05-2006 15:32

Toilet cleaners, charity fund raisers, underground workers, crossing patrol people etc are all worthy of their awards it is the sports people that get them that annoys me, sure there's the odd one that have done a lot to raise the profile of the country but let's be honest more of them are in it for themselves, earning huge amounts of money and sticking 2 fingers up at the people that keep them in a job by paying ridiculous prices to go see a match or buy the latest strip.

Talk about 2 jags with his grace and favour homes OBEs and MBEs are handed out like Eurovision song contest votes to those that have smiled correctly at the right people.

I'd be quite happy to see them scrapped.

SPUGGIE J 28-05-2006 17:06

Why dont they change it for people like Mr Winner to;

Obnoxious Bolshie Englishman

jambutty 28-05-2006 18:24

I was awarded a CDM a while back for services to my family. That held more value to me than any knighthood etc.

The award system by royal prerogative is nothing more than an attempt to further the alleged legitimacy of the monarchy.

In days of old, when men were bold and women knew their place (I’m going to get castigated for that last bit) the king or queen would reward their boot licking sycophants with a knighthood and/or land because of the way they licked the monarch’s boots. They got their awards on the backs and blood of the villagers. All the villagers got was higher taxes under pain of death. Nothing has changed in hundreds of years except the time.

Sadly too many celebrities and too few ordinary folk get rewarded for their efforts. So a sports person is good – nay outstanding at his/her sport and has made a small fortune in the process and they get an OBE or something. What empire are they referring to? Is it that one where we conquered and exploited to the detriment of the inhabitants? A captain of industry makes a huge fortune and is rewarded with an honour. A Whitehall mandarin pushes papers around for 50 years gets an honour and a great pension.

What about Joe Bloggs who delivered the mail come rain, storm, hail, snow, shine, vicious dogs and narky customers and got a measly wage for doing so. Now that person really does deserve an honour. Nurses who have devoted their life to nursing. Don’t forget the lifeboat crews. They put their life on the line for others for no financial reward. Coming a close second are the Search and Rescue volunteers who put their life on the line to rescue some hoorah Henry who decided to go walkies without the faintest idea of what he was letting himself in for.

I don’t normally put the letters after my name but just this once I will.
jambutty CDM

garinda 28-05-2006 19:10

I'd scrap the honours system as well.

Like Jambutty said most of them go to the faceless bureaucrats from Whitehall who are already more than compensated for their efforts. Throw in the odd lollypop lady from Aberdeen and Sir Elton, Sir Mick and Sir Tom and you end up with the ridiculous honours sytstem we have.

SPUGGIE J 28-05-2006 20:03

What about a reorg of it then so that it dosnt go to those "faceless bureaucrats from Whitehall?"

grannyclaret 28-05-2006 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty
I was awarded a CDM

I don’t normally put the letters after my name but just this once I will.
jambutty CDM

Please jambutty...dont think i am being nasty,,TRULEY I AM NOT,,i am not even sure what it means...:o
but all i remember about C,D,M.is something to do with cadburys dairy milk .. i think there were adverts on the tele,where you could award them....:cool: