Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Watch out there's a thief about. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/watch-out-theres-a-thief-about-22291.html)

katex 09-06-2006 17:32

Watch out there's a thief about.

Don't you just love these hot, sweaty, sexy nights .. well, I do, however, please do not forget to shut your windows at night. Opportunist thieves will be on the look-out.

Tried to get my grandaughter to shut the bedroom window she sleeps in t'other night as access could be gained from the extension roof.. felt a little uneasy.

Years ago, on a similar night, my ex and I went to bed leaving a small downstairs window open by accident. You wouldn't have thought anyone could get through it. Well, they didn't get through that particular window ... cut down my washing line from the back and looped the handle of the bigger window underneath (no locks on them then) to gain access. Easy ! Climbed into the living room, put a large armchair behind the door in case we woke, took what they fancied and exited through the patio door. Clever.

So keep safe everyone please. xx

Madhatter 09-06-2006 21:48

Re: Watch out there's a thief about.

hmmm, yes, hot, sweaty, sexy nights. I do love em kate.

katex 09-06-2006 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter
hmmm, yes, hot, sweaty, sexy nights. I do love em kate.

Suppose I asked for that one didn't I, :p but gotta admit is great, sat here replying to this after good night, albeit all these tiny flies from the lodge are all over me monitor.... anyway, must remember to shut the door.

katex 05-07-2006 18:03

Looks like it's a matter of 'do as I say, not do as I do'. Went to bed, vigilantly checking all windows (feeling smug) >>> came down next morning. Light voile curtain covering patio door blowing inwards >> you guessed it patio door wide open all night long >> think I might need some therapy ? :rolleyes:

Madhatter 05-07-2006 18:06

The back door is always vulnerable at night kate, you should make sure its secure and well protected.

SPUGGIE J 05-07-2006 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Looks like it's a matter of 'do as I say, not do as I do'. Went to bed, vigilantly checking all windows (feeling smug) >>> came down next morning. Light voile curtain covering patio door blowing inwards >> you guessed it patio door wide open all night long >> think I might need some therapy ? :rolleyes:

I have gone to work after checking windows but left doors unlocked so that makes 2 of us. :eek:

WillowTheWhisp 05-07-2006 19:05

It's too hot and sticky to sleep at night with windows closed but apaprt from burglars we have to keep them closed to stop the cats getting out. We do have a fan but all they seem to do is move the warm air about!

grannyclaret 05-07-2006 21:58

We Always Have The Upstairs Windows Open...the Air Is So Dry,but Hey Its Better Than Winter...

accymel 05-07-2006 22:07

Hey dont start complaining about hot sticky nights i learnt hard way after jinxing the last time, the day after weather changed:( so this time im enjoying & making most of it LOL :D altho i have to keep windows upstairs a bit tho they do only open so far anyway with the saftey bar on. Altho ive left my kitchen one open before now over night after too many pops, lucky for those window guards on, but on the whole check the downstairs before i go to bed so nowts unlocked or open.

Debbie J 07-07-2006 15:28

It's not just at night you have to be careful. An elderly (78) friend of mine went out to say tata to a visitor & couldn't get back in as a burgler had gone in through her back door locked the front one and made off with her purse and jewellry. Take Care all.

SPUGGIE J 07-07-2006 18:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie J
It's not just at night you have to be careful. An elderly (78) friend of mine went out to say tata to a visitor & couldn't get back in as a burgler had gone in through her back door locked the front one and made off with her purse and jewellry. Take Care all.

Another example of the sad world in which we live. Did they catch this little scroat????

Debbie J 07-07-2006 21:34

Unfortunately Spuggie NO they didn't. The police also told her that the property (which she has only lived in for a few months) has been burgled 8 times in the last 3 years!!!!!! Council didn't tell her that before they gave her the keys.

SPUGGIE J 08-07-2006 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie J
Unfortunately Spuggie NO they didn't. The police also told her that the property (which she has only lived in for a few months) has been burgled 8 times in the last 3 years!!!!!! Council didn't tell her that before they gave her the keys.

The council put a pensioner in a "burgalry hotspot" and were totally quiet about it. How low will these desk jockey jobsworths going to get away with this indifference?

jambutty 08-07-2006 14:18

I live in a ground floor flat so leaving a window open at night just ain’t an option. But during slightly hot days like we had recently I have the windows open until seconds before I get into bed. The front and only door gets closed and locked at around 8:00pm or when it starts to get dark whichever comes first.

It is a well known statistical fact (the police told me after the first time that I was burgled) that a burgled house is most likely to be turned over again within the following week. They were correct in my case. The thieves came back three nights later and took the replacement rental telly. Imagine the trouble I had in convincing the rental people of the theft and I hadn’t sold it, especially as at the time I was living on the Roman Road Estate. They also dropped me as a customer. Hardly surprising really!

If you have an old wooden back door you need a solid bolt near the top and the bottom. If you only planning to have one bolt then make it near the bottom. Very few burglars (if any) are capable of kicking the top half of a door in.

Don’t leave the key in the lock. If you must leave a key in a lock to prevent someone using a key from the outside make it a key that doesn’t fit the lock and leave it part turned.

Don’t rely on your Yale type lock for the front door when you go to sleep. Use the Mortise lock as well. If you don’t a burglar has an easy way out.

Sleep well! I do!

katex 08-07-2006 18:03

Thanks Jambutty, for some useful advice here, like the one with the bolt at the bottom of the door, never thought about that one.

Not really bothered if someone burgles my house .. nothing whatsoever of value to pinch.

Thought of waking up and finding someone by the side of your bed is a pretty terrifying thought though .. X film stuff. Other things that burglars decide to do too ... wouldn't like to lose my virginity. :eek: