Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   wood worm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/wood-worm-23076.html)

cherokee 24-07-2006 21:19

wood worm

OMG what a day its been , a few weeks i went to sit at my computer desk and fell through the floor , and no i havent put weight on .... when hubby lifted the carpet he found woodworm in floor boards so on i get to the workmen and yesterday they came round and informed me he would be here this morn at 7.30 am and could we empty the living room..so 7.30 on the dot this morning in marches workman and sidekick lifts the whole carpet and only discovers it gone all over the room and even into the joists and even in the skirters. so here i am packed in my dining room like a bloody sardine in a tin and prob will be for next few days ....GRRRRR but better to have it done b4 it reaches the furniture ........anyone else had probs like this ???

SPUGGIE J 24-07-2006 21:34

Re: wood worm

Cant say the phrase that comes to mind (mods would shoot me) but that is bad. Have been in places with it but useually in the furniture and it aint pleseant. Better to treat the whole house to be safe though. (might be in the roof.)

cherokee 24-07-2006 21:40

I agree spuggie we re gonna check the other rooms when we get back in to the front one cus we just cant move at moment

cashman 24-07-2006 23:01

not trying to cheer you up cherokee but have the joists checked, going back 30 odd years me best man had similar problem in a house in accy, and it had spread/started in the joists, he had to have them replaced, certainly hope thats not the case for you.

Busman747 24-07-2006 23:02

At least the important things in life are not made of wood :p (computer, telly, lager in fridge etc) Seriously though cherokee, wish you good luck in your hunt for the blighters - - :eek:

Madhatter 24-07-2006 23:57

You haven't got wire worm in the electric cables to have you?

jaysay 25-07-2006 04:31

In the trade we used to call it the little wee beastie , never had in any of my homes, but did have dry rot in a house I lived in many years ago, that is frightening for that eats anything which gets in its way wood plaster some types of brick brick (not Nori). Then only thing is you can smell dry rot, but you can't smell wood worm you find out the hard way like Cherokee did

entwisi 25-07-2006 06:17

Check your house insurance. You may be able to claim for the work especially if it has spread

cherokee 25-07-2006 20:06

thankfull only 2 joists replaced and rest been treated ..pleased to say although my home is still upside down im almost back in my living room should be nice and settled by tomorrow, but got prioroties right i got my pc up n running. hubby still going with his surround sound hahahahaha