Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Parking Wardens (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/parking-wardens-23367.html)

Margaret Pilkington 07-08-2006 15:00

Re: Parking Wardens

With the green disks you have a time scale on it and you put on the time scale how long you want to park.....and as long as you don't go over the time you have estimated you are Ok......Having said that, we don't use the multi storey car park for a variety of reasons........one of them being that the ramps are quite steep and you can damage your vehicle if it is a low slung jobby.........another is that the parking spaces are narrow........and if you park over the line then you are very likely to get a ticket for parking in two bays.....so yes, it is free.....as long as you abide by the rules.

Margaret Pilkington 07-08-2006 15:02

Spuggie....by other means, do you mean parking fines?
I am sure that the council would accrue more revenue if they deciced to use Pay and Display....and even with this system you can still get a parking fine if you overstay....or if you park slightly outside your bay.

Madhatter 07-08-2006 15:52

Whats the point in a disk if you can set it to how long you want. just set it to all day and you won't go over. If I didn't know some of you I'd think this disk thing was a wind up.
Do you realise how sad it sounds. You get a green disk thing friom shops, if they have any left, then you go back to your and set it to what ever time you want, and it's free to park. What exactly is the disk for, what does it do. It doesn't provide a time limit because you said you can set it to what you like. Only thing is that if you don't have one, which most visitors won't you get fined.

Madhatter 07-08-2006 15:57

Interesting how many think your town would be better with parked cars all over the place, blocking access for people with push chairs and prams, blocking emergency vehicles.

cashman 07-08-2006 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackyalex
the last time we visited accrington we parked in the multi car park,we tried to find one of those green time cards couldnt find one anywhere so we just went shopping well i think you could guess what happened yes we got a ticket,we then went to the town hall and complained but we still had to pay the fine of £10 otherwise if we we waited to see if our complaint wasnt successful we would have to pay £20,its not fair when your a visitor to the town and they dont have the cards availible,so much for improving tourism to the area but it prob happens everywhere with the lack of information

same happened to me in 2001 hadn,t lived in town for 6 years, and had just lost my missus, completly forgot about the disc, just nipped in went to specsavers was no more than 15mins came back and the guy was writing a ticket out, i explained the circs to him, was leaving back to spain next morning early doors, it was just after 4-00 town hall was shut, so i said can i pay you the £10 cos i,m not sure when i will be back, NO we are not allowed was the reply, so in a nutshell i wouldn,t P**S on these creeps if they were burning.

CASPER 07-08-2006 16:02

When using the green disc on the arndale and other Accrington car parks you can only park for upto 3 hours. You set the disc at the time that you arrive and make sure that you are back at your car within 3 hours. OR you can have unlimited free parking on level 5 and 6 of the Arndale car park without a disc.
I have also heard or read that this system will be scrapped but that we will continue to have free parking.

lettie 07-08-2006 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter
Whats the point in a disk if you can set it to how long you want. just set it to all day and you won't go over. If I didn't know some of you I'd think this disk thing was a wind up.
Do you realise how sad it sounds. You get a green disk thing friom shops, if they have any left, then you go back to your and set it to what ever time you want, and it's free to park. What exactly is the disk for, what does it do. It doesn't provide a time limit because you said you can set it to what you like. Only thing is that if you don't have one, which most visitors won't you get fined.

The disks have a 3 hour limit.....or they used to. You set the time that you arrived on your disk and the wardens give you 3 hours from that time. The disk is displayed in your windscreen. Rawtenstall have had this system for years, way before Accy did. I think that's probably where Accy got the disk idea from.

chav1 07-08-2006 16:09

i voted negative because they dont do their job properly

i have yet to see any parking violation punished along blackburn road or willows lane and by the councils own admition they gave up trying

the law is the law and just because people constantly break the law it dosnt mean they should be allowed to carry on doing it

perhaps if cars started getting clamped or towed away and crushed that would solve the problem

get tougher not softer

i am fed up of constantly having to wait because 2 cars decide to park up next to each other on the main road and have a leghthy discusion , i am fed up of having to manouver around cars parked dangerously on double yellow lines or at traffic lights on junctions

mind you the rules are soon enforced if you are so much as a minuite over your allowed parking time

get down blackburn road the council could make thousands in one day alone with all teh parking violations going on down there and if they dont pay vrush their bloody cars

guess whos just had to drive down blackburn road :D

andrewb 07-08-2006 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madhatter
Interesting how many think your town would be better with parked cars all over the place, blocking access for people with push chairs and prams, blocking emergency vehicles.

This is not what I voted negative for. In my original post I suggested that we should still have wardens stopping people parking in places where they really shouldn't, but that the majority of places its unnessesary, and the way its enforced is unfair.

Gayle 07-08-2006 17:52

It's the bigger picture of trying to reduce traffic in the shopping streets. If you have no parking then you don't have people driving around, endangering pedestrians whilst looking for a space.

If you park on Dutton Street then the chances are you've driven along the pedestrian area which is supposed to be traffic free.

As for the car park, that's a different matter and I don't think the discs are a particularly good idea. People lose them or can't get one or forget - much better to have a ticket system of some sort i.e. collect a ticket as you go through a barrier then have traffic wardens going around fining people who stay longer than 3 hours and you wouldn't need a barrier for exiting. Could still keep free parking. It's probably down to cost though i.e. cost of replacing tickets vs cost of printing discs.

yone 07-08-2006 21:00

got a ticket today... 15 mins over in disable bay with my son.... well talk about low:
the next time I see the traffic warden stuffing his face ... drinking coffee and smoking I will make sure I get it on camera this time....... back of the arndale centre:
also my son turned the badge the wrong way round once.... he wanted the chicks to see him.... I did not know this ( again got a fine )
wonder how he sleeps at night.... there moan over I know he's only doing his job : but it really no really makes my bloody boil:

:-)

Yone

andrewb 07-08-2006 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle
It's the bigger picture of trying to reduce traffic in the shopping streets. If you have no parking then you don't have people driving around, endangering pedestrians whilst looking for a space.

If you park on Dutton Street then the chances are you've driven along the pedestrian area which is supposed to be traffic free.

I can kind of understand this, though pedestrians shouldn't really be in danger, if they are then the driver dosn't really deserve to be on the road.

My grandma often used Dutton street until she was fined, she never goes through the pedestrian bit, can get there from Cannon street instead.

Although now you mention the bus only bit!... My dad got run over there a few years back, and the council have still done nothing about this area. The sign is pedestrians only, but I don't think its a legal sign, as in nobody can do anything about it... that or police officers are not doing their job as i've often seen them just walk on by as somebody comes flying through there in their car :(

Madhatter 07-08-2006 23:55

I've never used a disk to park in rawtenstall, and I parked there a lot last year.
does this mean parking restrictions are only in place while the shops are open?
I suggest your being conned by the council, it's a cheap way of time enforcing parking bays without having ticket machines or the warden checking number plates to get your parked time.

Neil 08-08-2006 04:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
With the green disks you have a time scale on it and you put on the time scale how long you want to park...

No you don't. You put the time you arrive on the disk. You can then park for 3 hours I think it is. If you are seen with a disc set later than t he current time you will probably get a ticket.
The top 2 levels ( I think it is 2 ) are free all day with no disc. So if you have no disc park at the top. If you read and follow the instructions you will not get fined.
The whole idea of the disc scheme is to allow shoppers to park and to stop people who work in town filling up the car park, especially the bottom levels, which would leave less space for shoppers. It is a free car park for shoppers.

entwisi 08-08-2006 11:11

Agree Neil, on every entrance to the multi storey there are full instructions on a massive board. If the drivers are too lazy to read them then its a stupidity tax not a parking fine. I'm also with Chav on teh idea of clamping/crushing those that park on Bburn rd near willows lane. It can be hard work getting past them all. however having said that, what genius at the council though putting those stupid parking bays in opposite a bus stop so when teh bus stops no one can pass it wants taking outside and shooting.

Yone, do you have a disabled badge? if not, then it is quite right that you were ticketed for parking in a disabled space, They aren't there for you to nip to the shop you know!

If I have one gripe about parking in accy, its the length of time you are allowed on side streets like Warner street. ATM its 1 hour, thats not enough to do a decent amount of shopping round the market. 2 hours would be a more reasonable amount. as it is I have found a quite little spot with no parking restrictions so I'm alright Jack! :D